U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM

3,234 posts, read 6,445,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There's more to military service than what's in it for you. Skip it and go straight into more schooling and find your self a nice civilian career.
Well-observed and well said. OP's all about OP. Honor duty country? Fuggeddaboutit!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM

869 posts, read 425,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
To be an Air Force doctor or nurse, you have to be a doctor or nurse before you join, they don't send you to school to be one.
Not true. USHS is a medical school that takes in civilians and commissions them when they are students there. Then they serve in the Military for their obligated time.

https://www.usuhs.edu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifor...ealth_Sciences

Old 01-09-2018, 02:35 PM

1,026 posts, read 398,184 times
Yes, but USHS accepts only about 15% of applicants. There is no guarantee you will get in or even get the field you are interested in after you enlist. Plus after you grduate USHS medical school and complete your residency, you must serve 7 years as a flight surgeon, plus serve in the inactive reserves for another 6 years. Being a flight surgeon is basically an assembly line job of treating service members at the rate of 3 or 4 per hour and filling out mountains of paperwork. My urologist is in his 40's and is in the reserves and has been has been sent to Iraq for 6 week rotations twice in the past 5 years. If you are accepted in USHS you are looking at serving in the military for a minimum of 13 years or so plus an additional 6 years in the reserves, subject to call up for the next war.
I was in the AFROTC 50 years ago. Every cadet gets to pick his three areas or jobs he would like to serve in. I was told to sign up for flight school (not one of my three choices) which would have added an additional 2 years to my 4 year commitment, or not get commissioned. This was at the completion of my summer camp (officer basic training) in 1967. I chose to leave the service rather than be blackmailed into signing up for flight school. I liked flying but would not have performed well in combat and I knew it. Too many things to think about at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Not true. USHS is a medical school that takes in civilians and commissions them when they are students there. Then they serve in the Military for their obligated time.

https://www.usuhs.edu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifor...ealth_Sciences

Last edited by bobspez; 01-09-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 PM

12,884 posts, read 41,414,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechris View Post
Hey, so currently i am a junior in college pursuing a bs in biology I have around a 3.8 gpa. I was wondering if it would be wise for me to join the airforce. I want to get the experience and also try and use it to advance my career greatly. However, I dont know if it is worth it as my parents make great money, im graduating loan free, i already have all insurances, and I dont know if the military would be worth joining since I cant take advantage of any of the assistance programs. Granted it would be a great experience but I hope to make a solid career and the militarys pay is not very high and I dont know if they are a good route for pursuing some upper level careers in the government or something of the sort. My real question is, with everything i just noted, is it worth it? I dont have kids or burdening loans and have a well off family, not generalizing that everyone in the military is like that but all of the benifits advertised by the military are aimed towards that.
That's a good GPA in a good hard science major, however, I am not seeing much connection between what the Air Force does (military aviation and space, writ large) and biology. An exception might be if you want to go in as a doctor - that's an option, you get med school paid for, BUT, you have an extremely long time commitment to the AF after that. Realize you may very well get assigned to a wonderful duty station like Minot (Why not Minot? Freezin' is the reason!) for a considerable length of time.

What about med school or vet school, just on your own? What is your interest in a military career, in general, and why the Air Force, versus Army, Navy, or Marines?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 PM

140 posts, read 63,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechris View Post
Hey, so currently i am a junior in college pursuing a bs in biology I have around a 3.8 gpa. I was wondering if it would be wise for me to join the airforce. I want to get the experience and also try and use it to advance my career greatly. However, I dont know if it is worth it as my parents make great money, im graduating loan free, i already have all insurances, and I dont know if the military would be worth joining since I cant take advantage of any of the assistance programs. Granted it would be a great experience but I hope to make a solid career and the militarys pay is not very high and I dont know if they are a good route for pursuing some upper level careers in the government or something of the sort. My real question is, with everything i just noted, is it worth it? I dont have kids or burdening loans and have a well off family, not generalizing that everyone in the military is like that but all of the benifits advertised by the military are aimed towards that.
As has been noted its a great thing to have on your resume. Youll get to meet a lot of cool people and see many different places. I will say though, atleast in my experience, it really doesnt stand out as much as it would have a decade or two ago. There are just so many more people looking for jobs now that employers automatically go after those with relative experience or a degree to match that experience. As a district ranger with the Forest Service told me, which has a veterans preference policy, they'll sometimes have 600 applicants to an entry level full-time position unless they cap them. A third of those applicants have an advanced degree and about a third of those applicants have prior experience with the interior. If you have miltary service to throw in then you are more than qualified. Everybody else gets thrown into the deep end of the pool, regardless of what your credentials are. So as far as it helping you advance your career it really depends what you're applying it to. I could see it being pretty helpful towards biology, regardless of how competitive that field is. That combined with the fact you can never really plan on the wife and kids. That just happens

Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 PM

7,597 posts, read 6,220,419 times
Not sure if mentioned but you want to go the Officer route. Not the enlisted route.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:48 PM

393 posts, read 204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Exactly. I think it's a great idea.
Agreed. I'm a Marine and have seen the world. Awesome experience. Stop leaching off your parents and go find your mettle.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:01 PM

3,234 posts, read 6,445,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Yes, but USHS accepts only about 15% of applicants. There is no guarantee you will get in or even get the field you are interested in after you enlist. Plus after you grduate USHS medical school and complete your residency, you must serve 7 years as a flight surgeon, plus serve in the inactive reserves for another 6 years. Being a flight surgeon is basically an assembly line job of treating service members at the rate of 3 or 4 per hour and filling out mountains of paperwork. My urologist is in his 40's and is in the reserves and has been has been sent to Iraq for 6 week rotations twice in the past 5 years. If you are accepted in USHS you are looking at serving in the military for a minimum of 13 years or so plus an additional 6 years in the reserves, subject to call up for the next war.
I was in the AFROTC 50 years ago. Every cadet gets to pick his three areas or jobs he would like to serve in. I was told to sign up for flight school (not one of my three choices) which would have added an additional 2 years to my 4 year commitment, or not get commissioned. This was at the completion of my summer camp (officer basic training) in 1967. I chose to leave the service rather than be blackmailed into signing up for flight school. I liked flying but would not have performed well in combat and I knew it. Too many things to think about at the same time.
You sure don't want to attend a school that accepts 85% of applicants. That means no screening.

So you don't get a guarantee. There are no guarantees in life. Being in the military means you suck it up and drive on until you've accomplished your mission. That clearly is not part of OP's makeup.

You sound like you paid your dues, plus. There are lots of s*** details and missions and jobs in the military. That is the nature of the beast, as you know it's not all salutes and parades and rah rah fly the flag.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 2,145 times
So im still undecided about it, and i think i have a while since im still only a sophmore but just wanted to get a perspective of my chances.
I was just wondering if I even stand a chance on getting into AF OTS school because I heard its fairly competitive.

I havent taken the Officer exam (i forgot the abreviation for it) as well as the physical test but I feel as though id do fairly well on both, I did extremely well on my SATs and most standardize testing.
Currently im a sophomore bio major with a GPA of 3.8
I have hundreds of volunteer hours
I am a volunteer EMT
Multiple clubs as well as leadership in some of those clubs
Other small stuff such as fraternities, summer internships, summer programs (mostly medical related other than a navy engineering internship I did at the end of highschool)
Im 5'11 and weigh 150, im fairly skinny but im fit (cross country and basketball)
no tattoos, no piercings, no felonies.
Only thing i feel holding me back is I have no military experience and my school did not have the AF ROTC.

Just wondering If I have a chance, I know my major isnt really technical so I hope that wont keep me out.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 2,145 times
also thank you all for the advice i never realized there were multiple pages so i thought the thread was practically dead after my last post on the first page. One of the main reasons i want to join the AF is im still undecided whether i want to stay in healthcare (nursing/crna or doctor) or go into like an mba or ms/phd program. i felt like the military would be a great way to spend my younger years as i've always seen it as something that can make you more responsible mature and overall more well rounded of a person and maybe by the end of what commitment i make (i believe officer commitment is 4/6/10 years) id know what i want to do. Also yes my parents are upper middle i would say i could go to medical school debt free, however i still do view my parents money as not free. in the long run that quarter million or whatever still came out of my pocket it was just my inheritance money at some point. another thing that would be cool is if i could go through an accelerated nursing program part time while i'm in the AF i've always loved anesthesia and i know anesthesia residency spots are difficult to get as a doctor however CRNAS do the same essentially
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or