U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 AM

30,827 posts, read 17,594,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petechris View Post
Hey, so currently i am a junior in college pursuing a bs in biology I have around a 3.8 gpa. I was wondering if it would be wise for me to join the airforce. I want to get the experience and also try and use it to advance my career greatly. However, I dont know if it is worth it as my parents make great money, im graduating loan free, i already have all insurances, and I dont know if the military would be worth joining since I cant take advantage of any of the assistance programs. Granted it would be a great experience but I hope to make a solid career and the militarys pay is not very high and I dont know if they are a good route for pursuing some upper level careers in the government or something of the sort. My real question is, with everything i just noted, is it worth it? I dont have kids or burdening loans and have a well off family, not generalizing that everyone in the military is like that but all of the benifits advertised by the military are aimed towards that.
well, My brother came from an upper middle class family in a beach community and he grew up in England when he was a kid. Being a Marine is his childhood dream and he did not join for the benefits.

Military service made him the man he is today. He has zero regrets and he loved the Marine Corps and would have done it all over again.

It really depends on what you want in life. I have a lot of friends who are very successful in the civilian world after military service. In my humble opinion, the ones who are successful in the military are also very successful in the civilian world. I don't see many "crazy PTSD vets" stories, not something I personally experienced anyway.

The military training makes you fit for service, not the other way around. Submission is not a natural disposition. You learn Focus, discipline

My brother used to be a Recon Marine, now he is running his own very successful business.

I guess

Like the MC, entrepreneurship is not a career. It is a way of life.

I am sure if you have what it takes, you would make a wise decision. Military service is an honorable career choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
So im still undecided about it, and i think i have a while since im still only a sophmore but just wanted to get a perspective of my chances.
I was just wondering if I even stand a chance on getting into AF OTS school because I heard its fairly competitive.

I havent taken the Officer exam (i forgot the abreviation for it) as well as the physical test but I feel as though id do fairly well on both, I did extremely well on my SATs and most standardize testing.
Currently im a sophomore bio major with a GPA of 3.8
I have hundreds of volunteer hours
I am a volunteer EMT
Multiple clubs as well as leadership in some of those clubs
Other small stuff such as fraternities, summer internships, summer programs (mostly medical related other than a navy engineering internship I did at the end of highschool)
Im 5'11 and weigh 150, im fairly skinny but im fit (cross country and basketball)
no tattoos, no piercings, no felonies.
Only thing i feel holding me back is I have no military experience and my school did not have the AF ROTC.

Just wondering If I have a chance, I know my major isnt really technical so I hope that wont keep me out.
I would say that the best thing you can do is go to a recruiting office and do a preliminary interview with one of their recruiters. They will ask you some questions about your background and tell you if you're eligible to enlist.

They say airforce is tough to get into? well, I don't think so. LOL I have two friends who both joined the airforce, they don't have the GPA of 3.8, that is for sure. Meaning, there is nothing really special about them. Maybe I am biased, the smartest and fittest guys I know joined the Marine Corps, they also had the toughest MOS. Just my experience and don't attack me for sharing my personal experience.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I was hoping to go to medical school, my parents are well off so they would be able to pay for it so I wouldnt really "need" the military to help me with that (it would look great on an application to get in though) , but Im also on the fence about that, id be fine with either medical school or graduate studies in bio and go into research or something of the sort. another question is, given my situation, would it be more lucrative and worth it for me to forget military and just go straight to grad school or something and go work, or is the AF a good option as I would preferablly start as an officer since i have a BS. Also one of the reasons why I liked AF is they seemed more technical oriented and I felt that I would be better suited there. In all honesty I want to make a solid career (hopefully breaking into 6 figures) but then I also want to experience something different, I dont know if I just want to go straight from schooling back to schooling.

Also @theoldnorthstate, are there any reasons why specifically it wont be worth, im just in dark on whether the military will really help my future financially as well as progress my career, or would it be better for me to just skip military and go straight into more schooling.
well, Medical schools recognize the benefits of "non-traditional" students, so you shouldn't feel that 4-5 years in the military will put you behind the eight ball.

This said, It's common for people to start med school after few years. Some say the ave age of the starting med school class was 25. if you join the military first, make sure you have a 4 year commitment. it is more challenging to go back to school after a few years of not studying, but you have to want it. i would join the military as an officer if I were you. Meaning, go get a college degree first, then join the military as an officer, then medical school.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:49 PM

2,928 posts, read 1,108,919 times
Quote:
also thank you all for the advice i never realized there were multiple pages so i thought the thread was practically dead after my last post on the first page. One of the main reasons i want to join the AF is im still undecided whether i want to stay in healthcare (nursing/crna or doctor) or go into like an mba or ms/phd program. i felt like the military would be a great way to spend my younger years as i've always seen it as something that can make you more responsible mature and overall more well rounded of a person and maybe by the end of what commitment i make (i believe officer commitment is 4/6/10 years) id know what i want to do. Also yes my parents are upper middle i would say i could go to medical school debt free, however i still do view my parents money as not free. in the long run that quarter million or whatever still came out of my pocket it was just my inheritance money at some point. another thing that would be cool is if i could go through an accelerated nursing program part time while i'm in the AF i've always loved anesthesia and i know anesthesia residency spots are difficult to get as a doctor however CRNAS do the same essentially
I would do it. I don't know why people are saying you're not the type of personality the military likes, but I disagree.

I think you'd be a good fit based on what you've posted so far. If you're in really great shape (elite), and you still want to stay in the medical field, but do something else, look at Pararescue.

Try to join as an officer, but keep in mind that it's even more competitive for officers to get in than enlisted. I believe for enlisted there is a 90% drop out rate, so that's food for thought.

That's what I wanted to do, but unfortunately, at the time, I looked like Tarzan, but swam like Jane.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM

2,928 posts, read 1,108,919 times
Quote:
also thank you all for the advice i never realized there were multiple pages so i thought the thread was practically dead after my last post on the first page. One of the main reasons i want to join the AF is im still undecided whether i want to stay in healthcare (nursing/crna or doctor) or go into like an mba or ms/phd program. i felt like the military would be a great way to spend my younger years as i've always seen it as something that can make you more responsible mature and overall more well rounded of a person and maybe by the end of what commitment i make (i believe officer commitment is 4/6/10 years) id know what i want to do. Also yes my parents are upper middle i would say i could go to medical school debt free, however i still do view my parents money as not free. in the long run that quarter million or whatever still came out of my pocket it was just my inheritance money at some point. another thing that would be cool is if i could go through an accelerated nursing program part time while i'm in the AF i've always loved anesthesia and i know anesthesia residency spots are difficult to get as a doctor however CRNAS do the same essentially
I would do it. I don't know why people are saying you're not the type of personality the military likes, but I disagree.

I think you'd be a good fit based on what you've posted so far. If you're in really great shape (elite), and you still want to stay in the medical field, but do something else, look at Pararescue.

Try to join as an officer, but keep in mind that it's even more competitive for Officers to get in than enlisted. I believe for enlisted there is a 90% drop out rate, so that's food for thought.

That's what I wanted to be when I joined, but unfortunately, at the time, I looked like Tarzan, but swam like Jane.

https://www.airforce.com/careers/det...rescue-officer

Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 2,203 times
Awesome thank you for all the advice guys, hopefully I can get in, I did fail a class but i retook it for an A and I hope they dont nitpick that and decline me from OTS well see in 2 years though cause I still have a while till im dont my BS degree and then I can apply! (if i still decide to) thanks for all the advice everyone ill come back with updates if anyone's interested and if anybody has more insight/advice ill be checking periodically I love all the helpful comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or