Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 4,995 times

Advertisements

Hey, so currently i am a junior in college pursuing a bs in biology I have around a 3.8 gpa. I was wondering if it would be wise for me to join the airforce. I want to get the experience and also try and use it to advance my career greatly. However, I dont know if it is worth it as my parents make great money, im graduating loan free, i already have all insurances, and I dont know if the military would be worth joining since I cant take advantage of any of the assistance programs. Granted it would be a great experience but I hope to make a solid career and the militarys pay is not very high and I dont know if they are a good route for pursuing some upper level careers in the government or something of the sort. My real question is, with everything i just noted, is it worth it? I dont have kids or burdening loans and have a well off family, not generalizing that everyone in the military is like that but all of the benifits advertised by the military are aimed towards that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times
Even if pay isn't that high, expenses are near zero... In the end of your contract, you'll end up with a sizable savings. Obviously, if you have other career options, you might chose them over military career. But generally speaking, military service is a very positive thing to have in your resume.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:34 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
No one can answer that question but you. Do you want to join the air force? If so, why? What do you want to do? Why are you studying biology? How do you think the AF is going to advance your career? You don't enlist in the service to get "upper level careers in government."

Old 01-08-2018, 12:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechris View Post
Hey, so currently i am a junior in college pursuing a bs in biology I have around a 3.8 gpa. I was wondering if it would be wise for me to join the airforce. I want to get the experience and also try and use it to advance my career greatly. However, I dont know if it is worth it as my parents make great money, im graduating loan free, i already have all insurances, and I dont know if the military would be worth joining since I cant take advantage of any of the assistance programs. Granted it would be a great experience but I hope to make a solid career and the militarys pay is not very high and I dont know if they are a good route for pursuing some upper level careers in the government or something of the sort. My real question is, with everything i just noted, is it worth it? I dont have kids or burdening loans and have a well off family, not generalizing that everyone in the military is like that but all of the benifits advertised by the military are aimed towards that.
No, given your criteria, it isn't worth it. Go do something good for yourself.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
Lol at military pay not being high. Compared to what?

Look at the BAH, which is essentially a huge scam if you really consider it, especially since two married military members get two BAH checks.

Let's assume that you were stationed somewhere in Hawaii. You probably will never deploy, stay in an office all day, not really work hard at all, and then get out with a 100% disability.

What do you plan on doing with a biology degree in the private sector? Medical?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:16 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Even if pay isn't that high, expenses are near zero... In the end of your contract, you'll end up with a sizable savings. Obviously, if you have other career options, you might chose them over military career. But generally speaking, military service is a very positive thing to have in your resume.
Savings depends on the individual. During my first enlistment, most of my peers liquidated all their assets, and drank them.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:18 PM

I was hoping to go to medical school, my parents are well off so they would be able to pay for it so I wouldnt really "need" the military to help me with that (it would look great on an application to get in though) , but Im also on the fence about that, id be fine with either medical school or graduate studies in bio and go into research or something of the sort. another question is, given my situation, would it be more lucrative and worth it for me to forget military and just go straight to grad school or something and go work, or is the AF a good option as I would preferablly start as an officer since i have a BS. Also one of the reasons why I liked AF is they seemed more technical oriented and I felt that I would be better suited there. In all honesty I want to make a solid career (hopefully breaking into 6 figures) but then I also want to experience something different, I dont know if I just want to go straight from schooling back to schooling.

Also @theoldnorthstate, are there any reasons why specifically it wont be worth, im just in dark on whether the military will really help my future financially as well as progress my career, or would it be better for me to just skip military and go straight into more schooling.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:39 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechris View Post
Also @theoldnorthstate, are there any reasons why specifically it wont be worth, im just in dark on whether the military will really help my future financially as well as progress my career, or would it be better for me to just skip military and go straight into more schooling.
There's more to military service than what's in it for you. Skip it and go straight into more schooling and find your self a nice civilian career.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:40 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
No advantage unless you plan to be a career officer. Also you can find yourself in a war zone. Pursue what you ultimately want directly, not through the Air Force.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Alright, so my best bet would be to probably skip it then. I think im still going to meet/email the recruiter but thatll probably just be for more informational purposes. Another thing I would like to ask, I know medical school is difficult to get into and it has really been one of my goals, would it be good for me to also join AF in hopes of having a better admissions chance into a military medical school?

Also, one thing thats not related to my "career" that captivates me about the military is just the idea to be able to travel and get an experience no civilian has ever really had before along with training and hopefully working with some cool technology and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues