U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 AM

31,153 posts, read 18,205,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
yes, there is a reason. His daughter is next of kin. My daughter was his girl friend for 14 years, not married to him so she has no status to ask about anything officially or to bury him or cremate him.

HIS daughter wants a military funeral. She can not afford a funeral herself. BUT she is in no hurry to do anything and his body sits in the hospital for nearly 3 weeks now.

I was hoping if there was an on-line, fast answer, database we could tell the daughter for sure he has benefits and help her get something set up a little faster.

And the daughter is 2100 miles away from us and his body, so she also wants it transported to her area for burial. Which if he was in the military, I could research what they will cover for her, and maybe get her moving to do something. Some things, like burying someone should not wait indefinitely.
If this is the case, With the DD214 on file, if a family wants an honor guard for a loved one, all they have to do is call the funeral home or mortuary and the staff will contact the military and make the arrangements.

Here you can get a DD214

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 4,275,176 times
If they want him to be buried in a military national cemetery, it would take weeks anyway. They have a big demand even with multiple funerals every day.

And I believe that the funeral home would be able to help find documentation. They would need a 214 before proceeding. And the military won't cover all the costs either. I just made my funeral arrangements and they provide a grave marker and flag. And unless I want to be buried at a military cemetery, the other parts of the funeral come out of my pocket.

I personally think he was not being truthful

Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
yes, there is a reason. His daughter is next of kin. My daughter was his girl friend for 14 years, not married to him so she has no status to ask about anything officially or to bury him or cremate him.

HIS daughter wants a military funeral. She can not afford a funeral herself. BUT she is in no hurry to do anything and his body sits in the hospital for nearly 3 weeks now.

I was hoping if there was an on-line, fast answer, database we could tell the daughter for sure he has benefits and help her get something set up a little faster.

And the daughter is 2100 miles away from us and his body, so she also wants it transported to her area for burial. Which if he was in the military, I could research what they will cover for her, and maybe get her moving to do something. Some things, like burying someone should not wait indefinitely.
Wow she wants a lo without making any effort or bringing cash on her part.

Is her mom still alive? Maybe contact her. She might have the real info.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,682,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Wow she wants a lo without making any effort or bringing cash on her part.

Is her mom still alive? Maybe contact her. She might have the real info.
Mom died of cancer 2 years ago.

And yes, she wants the best of the best without contributing anything on her part. No reasoning with her to be affordable, etc.

BTW, her mother was cremated and her sister (different father) arranged everything and has the ashes. But she will NOT do that for her father, at least not yet.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 PM

8,770 posts, read 10,141,855 times
Quote:
BUT she is in no hurry to do anything and his body sits in the hospital for nearly 3 weeks now.
She needs to take action quickly. veteran or not, most states have maximum holding regualtions before the caretaker of ther deceased must consider the remains abandon. Some states set 2 weeks after proper legal niotifcation of next fo kin, others a motnh. If yuo are expecting them to hold the remains just because the person may eb a veteran, unelss you can prove it, the body will eb treated l;iek all others.

This may be a good time to remind veterans that they can now get Dept of Veterans Affair funeral/burial pre approval so next of kin doesn't have to deal with, figure out what needs to be done or search for eligibility documentation when the time comes. VA Pre Need

Old 01-15-2018, 02:12 AM

3,385 posts, read 1,225,797 times
There are also paid services like checktohire.com that some people use to verify specific employment background, including military service.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM

4,017 posts, read 1,805,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
She needs to take action quickly. veteran or not, most states have maximum holding regualtions before the caretaker of ther deceased must consider the remains abandon. Some states set 2 weeks after proper legal niotifcation of next fo kin, others a motnh. If yuo are expecting them to hold the remains just because the person may eb a veteran, unelss you can prove it, the body will eb treated l;iek all others.

This may be a good time to remind veterans that they can now get Dept of Veterans Affair funeral/burial pre approval so next of kin doesn't have to deal with, figure out what needs to be done or search for eligibility documentation when the time comes. VA Pre Need

I applied for that "pre-need" document. its been almost two months and not a word..........If I was actually dead I would not be smelling real good bout now..........

Old 01-15-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

I left a copy of my 214 with the funeral home that will take care of my cremation and internment. I just want the bronze marker and my ashes to be placed with my parents.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 PM

4,059 posts, read 3,778,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I applied for that "pre-need" document. its been almost two months and not a word..........If I was actually dead I would not be smelling real good bout now..........
My pre-approval letter came in about two weeks. This is at the Boise Veterans Cemetery.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-16-2018, 06:41 AM

5,745 posts, read 3,034,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My pre-approval letter came in about two weeks. This is at the Boise Veterans Cemetery.

Going somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or