Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:34 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,109,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I applied for that "pre-need" document. its been almost two months and not a word..........If I was actually dead I would not be smelling real good bout now..........
The pre need qualification is about 10 to 12 months behind currently. HOWEVER if someone actually dies you call a different 800 number and they expidite and set up the burial for the particular national cemetery you are requesting.
They are two different departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,010,172 times
Thought I would give an update.

Never could get the daughter to actually verify anything.

After 5 weeks the hospital said she either had to have a funeral home take the body or they would turn it over to the County and it would be cremated with the ashes spread by the county. The hospital is small and they can not dedicate space to one body for as long as they already did.

She asked the deceased's brother to intervene and he paid for the first half of cremation and had the ashes shipped to his daughter. She was to pay for the second half after receiving the ashes. She never did...not my monkeys, not my circus!

And I am pretty sure he was not in the military...

Old 09-21-2018, 12:01 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,675,157 times
Thanks for the update, and closure. Unfortunately, this rarely happens here on C-D.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 PM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I also tried to find information on my dads service record.

I submitted SSN and date of birth and received a form letter stating no records found.

My dads side of the family has all passed as well as my mom and dad.

He mentioned serving in WWII but never talked about it. When my aunt passed her husband gave me two pictures of my dad he found.......the first was in a Marine uniform (portrait) in 1940, and the second in a navy uniform and on the back it says Navy Fight School, NC. Dated 1942.

Any thoughts of where else I can turn to learn about his military time?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,518,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I also tried to find information on my dads service record.

I submitted SSN and date of birth and received a form letter stating no records found.

My dads side of the family has all passed as well as my mom and dad.

He mentioned serving in WWII but never talked about it. When my aunt passed her husband gave me two pictures of my dad he found.......the first was in a Marine uniform (portrait) in 1940, and the second in a navy uniform and on the back it says Navy Fight School, NC. Dated 1942.

Any thoughts of where else I can turn to learn about his military time?

Thanks
Did you submit his Service Number or Social Security Number. Social Security Number was not used until starting around 1969 (my recollection).

The National Archives maintains a customer service support line for other military records inquiries. Here are the National Records Personnel Center telephone information lines: Toll Free Number: 1-866-272-6272. I would give them a call, they might be able to help.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,159,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Was he a member of the VFW? They keep a copy of his DD-214 and from reading it they could explain to you what he did and where he served.
I'm a life member of the VFW and they have never seen my DD-214 so I don't know they would keep a copy of it.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:30 AM

37,223 posts, read 60,947,942 times
I am the chaplain of my local VFW post. The officers at my post require a DD-214 from anyone applying to join. We read the DD-214 during our meeting as a part of the process of accepting their application to join.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:48 PM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Did you submit his Service Number or Social Security Number. Social Security Number was not used until starting around 1969 (my recollection).

The National Archives maintains a customer service support line for other military records inquiries. Here are the National Records Personnel Center telephone information lines: Toll Free Number: 1-866-272-6272. I would give them a call, they might be able to help.
I used the his SSN and date of birth. This is all I have.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:40 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,508,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am the chaplain of my local VFW post. The officers at my post require a DD-214 from anyone applying to join. We read the DD-214 during our meeting as a part of the process of accepting their application to join.

So if someone is on their first enlistment and they have the Afghanistan Campaign medal, they're not allowed to join? Someone there needs to reread their regs. If you have one of the required campaign medals, you can join. DD-214 not required. I joined the VFW on the strength of my Afghanistan Campaign award. The DD-214 listing it came almost a year later.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,159,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So if someone is on their first enlistment and they have the Afghanistan Campaign medal, they're not allowed to join? Someone there needs to reread their regs. If you have one of the required campaign medals, you can join. DD-214 not required. I joined the VFW on the strength of my Afghanistan Campaign award. The DD-214 listing it came almost a year later.
This exactly. I was a VFW life member for 15 years before I got off active duty and had a DD-214. I showed my campaign award and was granted membership. They have never seen a DD-214.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues