U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:32 PM

30,336 posts, read 48,588,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert696969 View Post
Listen to me and listen to me clearly some people do serve and have no record of doing so all because your search results came up with nothing dosent mean you can destroy and an individuals faith in service. Its called classified and not only that if he or she wanted to let you know some intell but not all they could especially if they were investigating your family what makes you think that, that information is any if your concern. And once again there's a difference between stolen valor and giving individuals some information about morals and what my brothers and sisters do under daily basis.
You and I do not share the same reality.

Every person who serves in this decade will have a Personnel record. No level of security clearance precludes having a Personnel record.

When you leave Active Duty you will have a DD-214. Now I understand that decades ago, long ago, people may have served before the government started using DD-214s, but in the last 40 years every servicemember gets a DD-214.

Your service is recorded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 3,418,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Every person who serves in this decade will have a Personnel record. No level of security clearance precludes having a Personnel record.

When you leave Active Duty you will have a DD-214. Now I understand that decades ago, long ago, people may have served before the government started using DD-214s, but in the last 40 years every servicemember gets a DD-214.

Make that the last 60 years

Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 AM

5,860 posts, read 4,698,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I also tried to find information on my dads service record.

I submitted SSN and date of birth and received a form letter stating no records found.

My dads side of the family has all passed as well as my mom and dad.

He mentioned serving in WWII but never talked about it. When my aunt passed her husband gave me two pictures of my dad he found.......the first was in a Marine uniform (portrait) in 1940, and the second in a navy uniform and on the back it says Navy Fight School, NC. Dated 1942.

Any thoughts of where else I can turn to learn about his military time?

Thanks
Run his name through Ancestry.com or Family Search. They have records of men that signed in to their draft boards and when they went away to train.

There is another website that deals just with military records for genealogical purposes - cant remember what it is called...

Old 11-30-2018, 08:55 PM

1,767 posts, read 486,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
WARNING: This is a very scammy site. After about 20 minutes of nonsense, where they ask for information here and there, they asked for money. What, they couldn't say this was a paid site from page 1?

Not worth it, and not trustworthy. Plenty of scam sites out there that act in a similar way, so I suspect this is another one of those.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:26 AM

996 posts, read 479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
You can request some information about military service via a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the National Archives Military Personnel Records Section in St Louis, MO.

The Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA (5 U.S.C. 552, as amended), generally provides any person with the statutory right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to Government information in executive branch agency records. This right to access is limited when such information is protected from disclosure by one of FOIA's nine statutory exemptions.

• FOIA and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF)

The public has access to certain military service information without the veteran's authorization or that of the next-of-kin (the un-remarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister) of deceased veterans. Examples of information which may be available from Federal (non-archival) Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) without an unwarranted invasion of privacy include:
    • Name
    • Service Number
    • Dates of Service
    • Branch of Service
    • Final Duty Status
    • Final Rank
    • Salary *
    • Assignments and Geographical Locations
    • Source of Commission *
    • Military Education Level
    • Promotion Sequence Number *
    • Awards and decorations (eligibility only, not actual medals)
    • Photograph
    • Transcript of Courts-Martial Trials
This link has instructions on how to submit a written FOIA request. There are over 70 million records in the military records archives.

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mi...foia-info.html
In the media frenzy about the elderly Native American and the Covington HS teens, a lot of scrutiny has gone into Nathan's military service by none other than Don Shipley - the US Navy Veteran (SEAL). He had apparently obtained Nathan's records with concerns about his age not matching up to USMC deployment to Vietnam (which had mostly pulled out by 1971 when Nathan was about 16). It turns out Nathan had never claimed to have served in Vietnam but was in the USMC during the era.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UiwJPURPIlzxg/

I revere the US Navy service by Shipley. I thank him for his service. The concern I had was with the racist comments below his post (not made by Shipley but by others). Shipley himself does not strike me as being racist and is pro Navy all the way regardless of the Veteran's ethnicity. His concern appears to be in Veterans making false claims of service - and rightfully so.

But I looked at his youtube and facebook page, and a lot of comments are blatantly racist with a lot of pejorative resentment against Native Americans in general - not just Nathan. His facebook page may be shutdown soon given the intensity of those comments I saw. But then again Shipley himself does not seem to be "racist" - he just wants honest claims of service to match the record which he knows how to obtain. I applaud him for that.

But those other people making racist comments are disappointing. They forgot all about the other Native Americans who did serve in combat. As for Nathan's service, if Shipley's claims are true, then the record does not look good. It was "subpar". But still, I would have thought it was better than dodging the draft and running to Canada or burning a draft card at a hippie protest. He served, and was not that good at it (according to Shipley), but at least he didn't burn a draft card or fake a medical problem.

But the comments against Nathan are fiercely on a higher of level of extreme resentment. I think it's tragic that those racist posters forgot all about the other indigenous veterans who served honorably and did indeed deploy to the front-lines in places like Iwo Jima, the Guadalcanal, and the DMZ near I-Corps of South Vietnam. It seems like now that Shipley has obtained Nathan's record (so it seems), the posters are making comments such that they seem to have forgotten about the other indigenous veterans who did serve honorably - like they don't even exist at all. It seems like white racism can still happen in the US Military. My deceased grandfather (WWII veteran) wouldn't be surprised though. He told me the white officers segregated African Americans in their own barracks away from white soldiers. But they did use Navajo code talkers. My grandfather could understand the language far out there in the South Pacific. RIP. Semper Fi to his brother.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/native-ame...ry?id=51406325

Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM

773 posts, read 407,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Run his name through Ancestry.com or Family Search. They have records of men that signed in to their draft boards and when they went away to train.

There is another website that deals just with military records for genealogical purposes - cant remember what it is called...
It's called Fold 3, part of Ancestry. It's not free, though, and searching it can be very frustrating. More than once, I've used through many different search criteria before finally locating a record.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM

773 posts, read 407,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert696969 View Post
Listen to me and listen to me clearly some people do serve and have no record of doing so all because your search results came up with nothing dosent mean you can destroy and an individuals faith in service. Its called classified and not only that if he or she wanted to let you know some intell but not all they could especially if they were investigating your family what makes you think that, that information is any if your concern. And once again there's a difference between stolen valor and giving individuals some information about morals and what my brothers and sisters do under daily basis.
This is the individual's sole post on C-D, so we can safely ignore it. "Robert" plainly never served in the military, or he would have known that incoherent rant was bogus.

The fact of serving in the military is not classified. Details of what someone did in the military may be classified (and that would have been in a particular efficiency report), but that has zip to do with documenting proof of service.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:51 PM

4,791 posts, read 2,071,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

service records go way back...……….I have my Grandfathers from WW1...…...

Old 01-30-2019, 05:56 PM

8,507 posts, read 7,263,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Hello,

I am trying to find out if a person served in the military. The person was my daughter's boyfriend. He just passed away. He claimed to have been in the service, but he also 'told stories' about his past at times.

Is there an on-line database that one could put his name into and maybe DOB to find out for sure?
Let the dead be dead. You will not be making it an easier on you daughter if he was not what he said he was. Do you want to do that?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,624,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Let the dead be dead. You will not be making it an easier on you daughter if he was not what he said he was. Do you want to do that?
If you read the entire thread, you would have noted that the OP wanted the information to bury the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or