U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM

996 posts, read 479,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
You can request some information about military service via a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the National Archives Military Personnel Records Section in St Louis, MO.

The Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA (5 U.S.C. 552, as amended), generally provides any person with the statutory right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to Government information in executive branch agency records. This right to access is limited when such information is protected from disclosure by one of FOIA's nine statutory exemptions.

• FOIA and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF)

The public has access to certain military service information without the veteran's authorization or that of the next-of-kin (the un-remarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister) of deceased veterans. Examples of information which may be available from Federal (non-archival) Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) without an unwarranted invasion of privacy include:
    • Name
    • Service Number
    • Dates of Service
    • Branch of Service
    • Final Duty Status
    • Final Rank
    • Salary *
    • Assignments and Geographical Locations
    • Source of Commission *
    • Military Education Level
    • Promotion Sequence Number *
    • Awards and decorations (eligibility only, not actual medals)
    • Photograph
    • Transcript of Courts-Martial Trials
This link has instructions on how to submit a written FOIA request. There are over 70 million records in the military records archives.

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mi...foia-info.html
I studied Agent Orange in graduate school and reviewed many books, article, web sites, etc. I also studied the dioxin from the view of biochemistry with the double ring and ester bridges (chemical terms). In my research I found that there were lots of "cover-ups" like the fall of Fire Support Base Ripcord in 1970 which was classified until 1985. The most recent "cover-up" that was exposed was the official Air Force Investigation into the friendly-fire incident at Hill 875 during the Battle of Dak To. A US Marine pilot was referenced as having accidentally dropped bombs near the perimeter of soldiers of the US Army. The investigation seemed to have been flawed, and the pilot was not held responsble. He also denied responsibilty. He apparently was not reprimanded, court-martialed, etc. I find that appalling. Is there a FOIA review that can be done to find out why he was never punished? How do the surviving relatives of the soldiers killed by that "friendly-fire" feel about that Air Force Investigation now that it has come out over 50 years later? That pilot is still alive and continues to deny he dropped the bombs. As a Catholic, I was horrified to learn that a priest was killed in that "friendly-fire" who had been helping wounded and giving Last Rites. He was given a Medal of Honor posthumously. Another soldier, John Steer, lost his arm and dealt with overwhelming PTSD after the war. I read many accounts by veterans. I recall a few saying "war is hell" in regards to the "Nam".
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/m...ke-dak-to.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhfvmUd1sSQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 02:02 PM

30,336 posts, read 48,588,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
... The most recent "cover-up" that was exposed was the official Air Force Investigation into the friendly-fire incident at Hill 875 during the Battle of Dak To. A US Marine pilot was referenced as having accidentally dropped bombs near the perimeter of soldiers of the US Army. The investigation seemed to have been flawed, and the pilot was not held responsble. He also denied responsibilty. He apparently was not reprimanded, court-martialed, etc. I find that appalling. Is there a FOIA review that can be done to find out why he was never punished? How do the surviving relatives of the soldiers killed by that "friendly-fire" feel about that Air Force Investigation now that it has come out over 50 years later? That pilot is still alive and continues to deny he dropped the bombs. As a Catholic, I was horrified to learn that a priest was killed in that "friendly-fire" who had been helping wounded and giving Last Rites. He was given a Medal of Honor posthumously. Another soldier, John Steer, lost his arm and dealt with overwhelming PTSD after the war. I read many accounts by veterans. I recall a few saying "war is hell" in regards to the "Nam".
"He also denied responsibilty". You did not say that he denied doing it. If he was directed to fly from point A to point B, hold steady on course and drop payloads continously until he reached point C, then report to base. It is not his responsibility as to what personnel are physically located on those map grid coordinates.

Assuming that he did not do anything remotely 'wrong', there is no reason to reprimand him. He was not punished because he likely did not do anything wrong.

How the surviving relative feel, has no connection to the culpability of crime.

Friendly-fire incidents happen in war.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:27 PM

183 posts, read 50,417 times
If you're standing in front of the person you suspect, ask what his/her Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) was. If they can't come up with an alpha-numeric designator, i.e., 11 Bravo 20, they be lyin'.

Old Today, 09:22 AM

7,760 posts, read 5,715,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Let the dead be dead. You will not be making it an easier on you daughter if he was not what he said he was. Do you want to do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
If you read the entire thread, you would have noted that the OP wanted the information to bury the guy.
On that subject, if she could find documentation of his service, it isn't free unless there's a charity out there that helps.

My wife recently lost her grandfather. He was a career officer and will be buried at Arlington. The VA will provide the plot, opening and closing of the grave, and a headstone (though the family might have their own monument instead,) but the family still has to make arrangements with the funeral home retrieve the deceased from the hospital, embalm, and store the remains (though cremation greatly reduces these costs.) At Arlington National, there is a months long wait, and the storage fees are significant.

Another acquaintance passed recently as well. He was interred at a State Veterans Cemetery, and the internment took place the day of the funeral, which was a week or so after his passing. But, similarly, mostly what's provided is the grave, opening and closing, monument and maintenance.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

834 posts, read 303,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
If you're standing in front of the person you suspect, ask what his/her Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) was. If they can't come up with an alpha-numeric designator, i.e., 11 Bravo 20, they be lyin'.
I have no friggin clue what an MOS is but my AFSC was 90450.

Old Today, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
If you read the entire thread, you would have noted that the OP wanted the information to bury the guy.
The OP is in TN. I'd suggest that he contact his local veteran's affairs office for assistance.

https://www.facebook.com/myTDVS/

"The Tennessee Department of Veterans Services helps veterans and their families connect with resources, file claims with the United States Department of Veterans Affairs and stay current on benefit eligibility requirements."

Old Today, 10:38 AM

6,680 posts, read 3,681,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I have no friggin clue what an MOS is but my AFSC was 90450.

The Marines and the army call it an MOS, the Air Force calls it an AFSC. Same thing. Describes your job via a numeric or alpha numeric designator. In the Marine Corps I was a 2814. In the Air National Guard I was a 1A271.

Old Today, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The Marines and the army call it an MOS, the Air Force calls it an AFSC. Same thing. Describes your job via a numeric or alpha numeric designator. In the Marine Corps I was a 2814. In the Air National Guard I was a 1A271.
That was my point to BMW R1100. Not every branch uses the MOS designation.

Last edited by k7baixo; Today at 01:10 PM..

Old Today, 01:53 PM

30,336 posts, read 48,588,645 times
The Navy uses NECs. Which have been re-sorted many times over the years.

At various point in my career, I have been a 3333, a 3322, a 1831, and a 9545.

Old Today, 02:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 1,624,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
The OP is in TN. I'd suggest that he contact his local veteran's affairs office for assistance.
It was also in 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or