U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM

380 posts, read 116,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I was a troubled youth. Military worked out fine for me. Tell him to join.

If it doesn't work out, he'll wash out.

Not sure why everyone is being so negative. Sometimes, it's best to drown out the negativity.

I think some people have become delusional, especially the old heads.

They are under this assumption that jobs out there are plentiful and are going to continue to be that way, and that we will all have the opportunity to enjoy the same standard of living they enjoyed.

That's a LIE.

They live in an illusion. There is something called global competition and technological advancement.

The world is no longer a fairy tale where you can get a high paying job without a degree.

Instead, nowadays, you need to go into debt about 100K and have at least a Masters to be competitive.

Have him go to the military. It will be the best option for him. It's up to him to determine whether or not he follows through though.

If he's as "bad" as all the posters in the thread are making him out to be, he will be identified early and wash out.

He deserves a chance.
That's why I'm considering it. If he goes through, whatever happens is up to him and not me. But it's a freaking option.

This is if talking doesn't work, which I doubt it will but ill try it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM

4,193 posts, read 2,932,179 times
Assuning he got in to the service, if he pulled the stuff you describe, he could end up worse off. Military service has consequences, if you screw up.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 PM

30,739 posts, read 17,442,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post

Basically, he's already gotten a juvenile record for breaking and entering, fights in school, ditching, and robbery.
First of all, . There are some categories where it is safe to say are virtually never considered for waivers:

Juvenile felonies that involved violence is one of them.

If he never got a felony, then he has a chance of getting a moral waiver.

Quote:
That's why I'm considering it. If he goes through, whatever happens is up to him and not me. But it's a freaking option.

This is if talking doesn't work, which I doubt it will but ill try it first.
Maybe you should talk to a recruiter first.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM

5,380 posts, read 6,211,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I was a troubled youth. Military worked out fine for me. Tell him to join.

If it doesn't work out, he'll wash out.

Not sure why everyone is being so negative. Sometimes, it's best to drown out the negativity.

I think some people have become delusional, especially the old heads.

They are under this assumption that jobs out there are plentiful and are going to continue to be that way, and that we will all have the opportunity to enjoy the same standard of living they enjoyed.

That's a LIE.

They live in an illusion. There is something called global competition and technological advancement.

The world is no longer a fairy tale where you can get a high paying job without a degree.

Instead, nowadays, you need to go into debt about 100K and have at least a Masters to be competitive.

Have him go to the military. It will be the best option for him. It's up to him to determine whether or not he follows through though.

If he's as "bad" as all the posters in the thread are making him out to be, he will be identified early and wash out.

He deserves a chance.
It's not 'being negative', it is simply stating a fact.

When I was in Basic Training in 1970-something, there were a number of guys in my Company who were there because a judge had given them a choice- jail or the military. This is no longer acceptable.

The kid has already got a criminal record (according to the OP) for B&E, robbery, etc., if so, then he isn't getting in. Period. The military is NOT an option for him.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM

3,258 posts, read 1,027,243 times
Quote:
So my younger brother is getting in a butt load of trouble and, at this point, I'm out of ideas and running out of hope.

Basically, he's already gotten a juvenile record for breaking and entering, fights in school, ditching, and robbery. It's gone from him just getting in fights, and knowing him it could be for something as simple as name calling, to him appearing in court for breaking into peoples cars. Since his dad is, and for most of his life has been, nowhere to be found I've basically picked up the slack and been sort of shoved into the older brother/dad position. Due to this, I used to be able to just talk to him and he'd act right but now? Now, I'm surprised if it works.

Now he's 17 and will be 18 next year and at that point, he can and will go to jail and whatever clean slate he has is finished. I don't want him to be another black male with a criminal record. Our mom called and admits he listens to me the most, so she wants me to talk to him and now I'm thinking of suggesting he talk to a recruiter for the marines.

My reasoning is basically cause if someone can straighten him out, I'm pretty sure it'll be a drill sergeant with no time for his bull. I'm aware the tough love "ignore him until he's in jail" sorta thing route doesn't work, as (to be honest) he's been treated like<bleep> most of his life and talked down to. That's why he listens to me the most these days. I've always been in his corner as his mode of encouragement and kind words but, at the same time, someone who disciplines him and get him to act right. Throughout this, I also influence some of his decisions and know I can probably get him to do it if I make it sound awesome enough.

So basically: My brothers in trouble, mother and grandmother have laid responsibility of helping him on me, and I'm thinking of suggesting to him that he talk to a recruiter for the marines or something and go for it. Really don't know if this would work, but might it help him? Or could it horribly backfire?
Step back.
Women can only make boys.
It takes a man to make a man.
Just because others say so doesn't make it your problem.

Let him suffer the consequences of his actions or you will be enabling him.
If he wants to join the military thats his affair.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 PM

12,465 posts, read 11,727,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Step back.
Women can only make boys.
It takes a man to make a man.

Just because others say so doesn't make it your problem.

Let him suffer the consequences of his actions or you will be enabling him.
If he wants to join the military thats his affair.
What in the name of all that's logical does that even mean?

Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM

3,482 posts, read 6,794,868 times
As a taxpayer I don't want a military made up of morally deficient individuals that some well meaning family member thought would help after 18-20 years of nothing else working.

I'm sure that's what the family of the guy who shot up a Texas church thought too

Old 01-12-2018, 04:52 PM

23,489 posts, read 37,421,251 times
Quote:
So my younger brother is getting in a butt load of trouble and, at this point, I'm out of ideas and running out of hope.

So basically: My brothers in trouble, mother and grandmother have laid responsibility of helping him on me, and I'm thinking of suggesting to him that he talk to a recruiter for the marines or something and go for it. Really don't know if this would work, but might it help him? Or could it horribly backfire?
Wondering is not going to help. Tell him to talk to all of the recruiters... Going with him might also help him, and you.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM

9,566 posts, read 7,975,836 times
Can they see his juvenile history? If they can, I would think they wouldn't take him.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 8,839,207 times
Quote:

Basically, he's already gotten a juvenile record for breaking and entering, fights in school, ditching, and robbery. It's gone from him just getting in fights, and knowing him it could be for something as simple as name calling, to him appearing in court for breaking into peoples cars. Since his dad is, and for most of his life has been, nowhere to be found I've basically picked up the slack and been sort of shoved into the older brother/dad position. Due to this, I used to be able to just talk to him and he'd act right but now? Now, I'm surprised if it works.

Now he's 17 and will be 18 next year and at that point, he can and will go to jail and whatever clean slate he has is finished. I don't want him to be another black male with a criminal record. Our mom called and admits he listens to me the most, so she wants me to talk to him and now I'm thinking of suggesting he talk to a recruiter for the marines.

My reasoning is basically cause if someone can straighten him out, I'm pretty sure it'll be a drill sergeant with no time for his bull. I'm aware the tough love "ignore him until he's in jail" sorta thing route doesn't work, as (to be honest) he's been treated like<bleep> most of his life and talked down to. That's why he listens to me the most these days. I've always been in his corner as his mode of encouragement and kind words but, at the same time, someone who disciplines him and get him to act right. Throughout this, I also influence some of his decisions and know I can probably get him to do it if I make it sound awesome enough.

Based on this post, your brother is disqualified from all branches of the military. The Marines have incredibly hard standards to get into because they value Honor and Integrity so much. If he has used drugs on top of his criminal record, he definitely has zero chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues