U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 PM

11,931 posts, read 11,481,731 times

Advertisements

Well, as the saying goes; the military reveals a person's character. What do you really think about his character?

I cannot speak to his current record and if he can get in.

Just my experience and hearsay, I have seen those who were rather bad apples and not the highest of moral character, exceed in the military, as if they needed the structure just to function normally, some of their backgrounds are surprising. Of course it is rare, seen many bad apples ultimately get kicked from service starting in boot camp, but it is not uncommon for those to go on and be successful.

It seems to me he really has nothing to lose if he does get in, definitely nothing to lose by talking to a recruiter and trying to get in with his record. Even if he gets in a gets kicked out, well, at least it was an attempt on your (and his) part and you sort of answered the question.

No, the military is not a reform school, but even now, it still does good for those who it can do good for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 7,999,733 times
Does HE have any interest in the military? Based on what the OP has stated, I'd be really surprised if he did.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 PM

3,780 posts, read 1,679,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I was a troubled youth. Military worked out fine for me. Tell him to join.

If it doesn't work out, he'll wash out.

Not sure why everyone is being so negative. Sometimes, it's best to drown out the negativity.

I think some people have become delusional, especially the old heads.

They are under this assumption that jobs out there are plentiful and are going to continue to be that way, and that we will all have the opportunity to enjoy the same standard of living they enjoyed.

That's a LIE.

They live in an illusion. There is something called global competition and technological advancement.

The world is no longer a fairy tale where you can get a high paying job without a degree.

Instead, nowadays, you need to go into debt about 100K and have at least a Masters to be competitive.

Have him go to the military. It will be the best option for him. It's up to him to determine whether or not he follows through though.

If he's as "bad" as all the posters in the thread are making him out to be, he will be identified early and wash out.

He deserves a chance.

Delusional?? We have kids and grand kids...........you think because someone reaches old age that their brain stops working?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:18 PM

3,076 posts, read 8,857,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I was a troubled youth. Military worked out fine for me. Tell him to join.

If it doesn't work out, he'll wash out.

Not sure why everyone is being so negative. Sometimes, it's best to drown out the negativity.

I think some people have become delusional, especially the old heads.

They are under this assumption that jobs out there are plentiful and are going to continue to be that way, and that we will all have the opportunity to enjoy the same standard of living they enjoyed.

That's a LIE.

They live in an illusion. There is something called global competition and technological advancement.

The world is no longer a fairy tale where you can get a high paying job without a degree.

Instead, nowadays, you need to go into debt about 100K and have at least a Masters to be competitive.

Have him go to the military. It will be the best option for him. It's up to him to determine whether or not he follows through though.

If he's as "bad" as all the posters in the thread are making him out to be, he will be identified early and wash out.

He deserves a chance.
That's not how it works. Criminal records disqualify you from the military. One shoplifting charge as a minor makes you ineligible to join. He won't wash out, because he won't get in.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
That's not how it works. Criminal records disqualify you from the military. One shoplifting charge as a minor makes you ineligible to join. He won't wash out, because he won't get in.

You forgot to mention you're a recruiting supervisor and you know what you're talking about.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,068,592 times
Basic training is a weeding out process and perhaps for your brother he might make the that hurdle. But after that, in a barracks, there is a lot of downtime so he might just fall back into his old ways. Difficult position you find yourself in. He might check with a recruiter and see if he can get into the service. Be careful what career field you pick and really check them out.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:40 PM

595 posts, read 802,281 times
Below is an interesting article about Army waivers. The point is, waivers are authorized on a case by case basis.

First, however, your brother must be open to to the idea of joining. A person cannot change unless there is a willingness to do so. The military does have unfortunate consequences if dishonorably discharged. Secondly, not knowing the circumstances surrounding why your brother chooses to engage in such behavior, I suspect that he might benefit from joining a “brotherhood” that could offer direction or purpose in his life. I served in the Navy, but I’ve always respected Marines’ sense of brotherhood. You are right to NEVER give up on your brother. I’m sure you already know that it takes a village. The teenage brain is still growing and learning. If someone made a judgment about me when I was a teen, I probably would have been written off too. There are surely external forces in your brother’s life that are influencing his choices. You obviously see some type of potential in your brother and I’m sure in years to come he will look back upon his experiences and be extremely grateful that he has a brother like you. Is there any chance he can live with you until he turns 18? Lastly, go talk to some recruiters. You just never know.

Best of luck to you and your brother!

https://www.stripes.com/army-pushes-...ivers-1.497840

Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 PM

382 posts, read 117,695 times
Well I did talk to a recruiter and, according to him, as long as he doesn't get a felony he should be mostly. He suggested I do it anyway, just to give him some tangible goal to work towards. Direction, maybe enough to keep him OUT of trouble and find out what he really wants to do in life.

I'm now on a literal last option basis as, according to my mother, he's out by 18. Regardless of situation by then, unless he's bringing in money (and knowing her that means all of his paychecks). She's even looking to see if it's legal to give him the boot six months from his 18th. So at this point it's literally JUST me trying and trying fast. She's flat out hoping he gets arrested so she doesn't have to deal with him. With that said, I'm literally considering finding a way to take him in now before it's too late. I don't care if it'll push my plans back, he's younger than me and in a worse situation so I can wait.

Honestly, I'm just gonna pitch the military branch idea and costs of living, if I end up with him in the end. I only stated Marines cause they seem to be the 'take no ****' branch and, maybe, the structure and discipline will be beneficial to him.

I also spoke to our mother about his troubles and demanded clearer details. Apparently he hasn't really been charged or arrested with anything, rather caught on camera and given a verbal warning and a curfew. So apparently I exaggerated his problems by saying juvenile records...

Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 AM

4,950 posts, read 5,791,315 times
Sounds like getting the boy away from his mother is best. But he has to want to find a goal to push towards. Until then he may just need a safe spot

Glad you don't give up

Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 AM

3,076 posts, read 8,857,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Well I did talk to a recruiter and, according to him, as long as he doesn't get a felony he should be mostly. He suggested I do it anyway, just to give him some tangible goal to work towards. Direction, maybe enough to keep him OUT of trouble and find out what he really wants to do in life.

I'm now on a literal last option basis as, according to my mother, he's out by 18. Regardless of situation by then, unless he's bringing in money (and knowing her that means all of his paychecks). She's even looking to see if it's legal to give him the boot six months from his 18th. So at this point it's literally JUST me trying and trying fast. She's flat out hoping he gets arrested so she doesn't have to deal with him. With that said, I'm literally considering finding a way to take him in now before it's too late. I don't care if it'll push my plans back, he's younger than me and in a worse situation so I can wait.

Honestly, I'm just gonna pitch the military branch idea and costs of living, if I end up with him in the end. I only stated Marines cause they seem to be the 'take no ****' branch and, maybe, the structure and discipline will be beneficial to him.

I also spoke to our mother about his troubles and demanded clearer details. Apparently he hasn't really been charged or arrested with anything, rather caught on camera and given a verbal warning and a curfew. So apparently I exaggerated his problems by saying juvenile records...
That's good news if he is interested. If you can get him to talk to the recruiter the recruiter might be able to help him see the good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues