U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 AM

3 posts, read 1,112 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am interested in exploring options with the Armed Forces but wanted more clarity on certain issues from the community rather than just one recruiter. Firstly, I understand that there are unique needs within each branch and the possible politics involved in recruiting. And secondly, I am no saint so I do have a few issues working against me. So to begin I'll detail the basics and my concerns and hope the community will chime in with clarity.

I'm currently 31 (I understand I have only a few years of eligibility left)
I've earned a BBA in Finance from Georgia State University (08/2009)
- attended OCS for USMS in 2010, did not graduate (severe achilles tendinitis), deemed eligible for reenlistment
Scored >80 on ASVAB

I have a misdemeanor in HS for shoplifting (>10yrs ago)
I have one speeding ticket in college (>5yrs ago)
I was arrested for DUI refusal in 2013 (reduced to misdemeanor rechless Driving)

I understand my criminal offenses will require moral waivers.

My end game is either establish a rewarding career within the armed forces and/or acquire training/certifications that would be beneficial long term in alignment with my education and background. my current options are AF/USMC enlistment, USN/Army commissioning or enlistment. All options would depend on qualifications and availability of career choice.

1. My AF recruiter has disqualified me for all career options requiring security clearance because of criminal background. Is this a load of politics? Will this be a similar issue with other branches?

2. If eligible for enlistment, is it then possible for commissioning after a certain period of time and how would prior history, age, and education play in?

3. I understand the military is hesitant of recruits with large credit card debts and obligations, but I do not have anything in collections or have missed payments. Is this a fine line no-go? Is it possible to have a detailed financial plan to repay obligations as a waiver?

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:03 AM

3,124 posts, read 9,101,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey9t View Post
Hey all,

I am interested in exploring options with the Armed Forces but wanted more clarity on certain issues from the community rather than just one recruiter. Firstly, I understand that there are unique needs within each branch and the possible politics involved in recruiting. And secondly, I am no saint so I do have a few issues working against me. So to begin I'll detail the basics and my concerns and hope the community will chime in with clarity.

I'm currently 31 (I understand I have only a few years of eligibility left)
I've earned a BBA in Finance from Georgia State University (08/2009)
- attended OCS for USMS in 2010, did not graduate (severe achilles tendinitis), deemed eligible for reenlistment
Scored >80 on ASVAB

I have a misdemeanor in HS for shoplifting (>10yrs ago)
I have one speeding ticket in college (>5yrs ago)
I was arrested for DUI refusal in 2013 (reduced to misdemeanor rechless Driving)

I understand my criminal offenses will require moral waivers.

My end game is either establish a rewarding career within the armed forces and/or acquire training/certifications that would be beneficial long term in alignment with my education and background. my current options are AF/USMC enlistment, USN/Army commissioning or enlistment. All options would depend on qualifications and availability of career choice.

1. My AF recruiter has disqualified me for all career options requiring security clearance because of criminal background. Is this a load of politics? Will this be a similar issue with other branches?

2. If eligible for enlistment, is it then possible for commissioning after a certain period of time and how would prior history, age, and education play in?

3. I understand the military is hesitant of recruits with large credit card debts and obligations, but I do not have anything in collections or have missed payments. Is this a fine line no-go? Is it possible to have a detailed financial plan to repay obligations as a waiver?

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and comments.
(Speaking only for US Air Force).

1. This is 1000% True. Because of your DUI and shoplifting you will get what is called an "SJC B" and this makes you ineligible for all jobs requiring a Top Secret Security clearance. You can still join, but you'll need a different entry level job than intel or advanced fighter aircraft type jobs. You may be able to re-train later.

2. I very highly doubt you will be able to get an officer position in the Air Force, but you might have a chance if you have a STEM degree. What is your degree? You need an RE-Code Waiver (for your separation from the USMC, and you need a morals waiver). Officer selection boards do not look kindly on waivers. You need 3 waivers, RE-code, shoplifting, and DUI (even though it was reduced).

3. You'll need a 4th waiver in the Air Force if your debt to income ratio is over 40% for your rank, which will be E4. Monthly bills over about $800 will cause you to need a waiver for finances. This includes car and mortgage (but not rent since rent isn't on a credit check). You can get a waiver, but you'll have to convince a commander that you can meet all your financial obligations on $1931 a month. Keep in mind you don't have to pay for medical, housing, or food, so that $1931 goes far. If your bills are over $1931 a month there is no way you can join.

If you want to be a part of the Air Force, you'll have to be willing to accept an enlistment in basically any job due to the waivers, or no recruiter is going to recommend approval of waivers.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 AM

Additionally, how are you going to convince the doctor at MEPS that your tendinitis won't come back? You will probably also need a medical waiver because you had a medical separation. You'll have to provide medical documents to convince MEPS that you have no chance of getting separated from boot camp again. The doctors at MEPS have a "strike" against their record every time they let someone join with a medical condition that causes them not to make it through boot camp, and too many strikes leads to a loss of their job, so this is going to be a difficult task. When someone fails to complete boot camp it's hard to convince them to give you another chance.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 PM

752 posts, read 459,971 times
I would also like to add that you need to talk to all 5 branches, and see what their most critically understaffed job is. With all of your negatives, as dmarie has stated, you will have to take a job that they are having a hard time filling.

I have a friend from highschool that wanted to join later in life, 28 or 29 years old. He had delinquent student loans. After talking to everyone, the only job he could get was infantry in the Army. He took it. He has now changed over to a different MOS after the Army reduced the amount of infantry they needed, and he has been an excellent soldier.

You are in a I will scratch your back, you scratch my back type of situation.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:54 PM

Thank you all for the clarity.

@dmarie123 - I’m a naturalized citizen but I no longer have the document, would a US Passport be sufficient for proof of citizenship?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey9t View Post
Thank you all for the clarity.

@dmarie123 - Iím a naturalized citizen but I no longer have the document, would a US Passport be sufficient for proof of citizenship?
In my experience, it depends on the MEPS. Some will want the naturalization certificate because it is possible to have a passport without being a citizen (Some US Nationals have passports- think American Samoa). Most MEPS will allow it but you will need your naturalization certificate number for your security clearance.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Follow up question. I do not have any of my discharged papers from USMC OCS back in 2010 (Achilles tendonitis). I understand a 214 is needed and possible waivers, what’s the timeline like for such requests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues