U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:55 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,127,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papote13 View Post
Putting it that way, the BAH calculator says that for an E3 without dependents at Lackland AFB (78236) would be $1,218.00 and Kessler AFB (39534) $ 876.00. My mortgage is about $800. Would the allowance be the same as my mortgage, more or less?

You will get the housing allowance based upon your home of residence. If I am not wrong isn't Lackland in TX and Kessler in MS? Those are two very different housing markets so allowance is based upon your home. Also GeorgiaTransplant is very right. The allowance is not intended to be to make money.

One thing to mention here. It don't matter if your mortgage is $2,225 a month or $0. You would get the same amount based upon your location.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 01-27-2018 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:59 PM

23 posts, read 16,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
In my imperfect recall-

The intent of the OHA is to pay your *mortgage* for your house (in Puerto Rico, I presume, since you're talking about OHA) or to keep your dependents housed while you're in training.

Initial training in Keesler or any other place doesn't matter, as you're not really 'stationed' there. You're staying in barracks (dorm) undergoing a very regimented course of instruction.

Keesler rate may be higher, but that's not where your mortgage is and it's not intended to be a profit center-just to cover cost of housing.

So in the OHA calculator I get two values when I enter my home zip code, rank, and no dependents:

OHA Rental Allowance: $ 1350.00
Utility/Recurring Maintenance Allowance: $ 675.75

I assume that the Utility/Recurring Maintenance Allowance would not apply. Would the allowance be a partial amount of the max "Rental allowance"?

Old 01-27-2018, 07:59 PM

4,834 posts, read 2,461,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
In my imperfect recall-

The intent of the OHA is to pay your *mortgage* for your house (in Puerto Rico, I presume, since you're talking about OHA) or to keep your dependents housed while you're in training.

Alaska and Hawaii are also considered "overseas". The term is OCONUS.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:04 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,151,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Alaska and Hawaii are also considered "overseas". The term is OCONUS.
Totally understand. I looked up Papote also, and it appears to be a Spanish word-so I guessed PR

Old 01-27-2018, 11:06 PM

9,500 posts, read 6,629,150 times
I thought BAH was standard by rank and VHA depended upon location. Still , check with your recruiter! Or talk to someone in finance. The ANG is a small community.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:33 AM

7,641 posts, read 10,677,618 times
Are you concerned about paying your mortgage while in basic training and technical school? Because yes, after that you won't be receiving anything.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Are you concerned about paying your mortgage while in basic training and technical school? Because yes, after that you won't be receiving anything.
Pretty much, just wanted to get an idea on the allowance to adjust my finances and leave everything set before shipping out.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:28 PM

If I choose a career with more than 6 months in Tech school, would I loose my BAH to pay for my mortgage back home? I heard something about TDY converting into a PCS after certain days Tech school. I believe after 20 weeks, but not sure how that applies to ANG.

Last edited by Papote13; 02-11-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 02:40 PM

9,500 posts, read 6,629,150 times
You know your unit has all kinds of people qualified to answer all your questions. I'd guess that your TDY/Tech School won't ever convert to PCS. AND really has no PCS. You'd have to be accepted into a new Guard unit and be released by your old. Still, unless you're AGR, it's not going to apply to you. You'll get BAH while you're on orders. For however long. As long as you've got all your paperwork done right. Again, check with your gaining unit.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,127,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papote13 View Post
If I choose a career with more than 6 months in Tech school, would I loose my BAH to pay for my mortgage back home? I heard something about TDY converting into a PCS after certain days Tech school. I believe after 20 weeks, but not sure how that applies to ANG.

No a TDY will never turn into a PCS. You will have to find a gaining unit like hunterseat said in his post reply to you. Why not just find an active duty unit to join. If you are looking for a job that is going to help you with your mortgage and you want that to be a military unit your only choice is active duty. Short of that it will be a series of short TDY stints and deployments. Depending upon the service you are in will determine what your length deployment time will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or