U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 AM

23 posts, read 18,726 times

Advertisements

I am considering joining the Air National Guard. I read somewhere that "If you have dependents, an apartment or mortgage before enlisting you will receive base housing allowance pay." I have a mortgage with no dependents.
Is this is correct and would this apply for guard units while being months in BMT and tech school? If it is available, is there a way to calculate how much it would be for an E3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 05:30 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,352,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papote13 View Post
I am considering joining the Air National Guard. I read somewhere that "If you have dependents, an apartment or mortgage before enlisting you will receive base housing allowance pay." I have a mortgage with no dependents.
Is this is correct and would this apply for guard units while being months in BMT and tech school? If it is available, is there a way to calculate how much it would be for an E3?
You receive housing allowance while on active duty. Reserve and National Guard pay is only base pay. While you are in an active duty status in school or deployed.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:23 AM

3,100 posts, read 9,001,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
You receive housing allowance while on active duty. Reserve and National Guard pay is only base pay. While you are in an active duty status in school or deployed.
Are you sure? OP doesn't have any dependents. In BMT she will live in the dorms and same with training. Even active duty do NOT get BAH in basic and training, unless they have dependents. I'm wondering why Guard/Reserve would get more benefits and more pay than active duty. That doesn't seem accurate that they would.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:02 AM

OK I stand corrected, the JTR says " Effective February 1, 2008, an RC Service member without a dependent
attending accession training is authorized BAH or OHA based on the primary residence location at the time
called/ordered to active duty if the Service member maintains a residence and continues to be responsible for
rent, or owns the residence."

RC= Reserve component.

So I was mistaken and oldsoldier was correct.
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/JTR.pdf

Old 01-27-2018, 10:07 AM

So according to the JTR I could qualify for OHA, since technically I live overseas.
NG is counted the same as RC in this case?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 AM

NG is RC, yes. Reserve component is Guard and Reserve. I'm not finance, so I don't want to advise you wrong but I THINK OHA is ACTUAL housing cost but I'm not sure.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:36 PM

I ask since I've gone to the BAH calculator and put down my zip code and it comes up empty. Would in this case, the duty station zip code be Lackland AFB and Kessler AFB (Most likely where I would go to Tech Scool)?

Either way if BAH or OHA, would I receive a percentage of the max amount shown or no more than my actual mortgage monthly amount is if my mortgage is less than the max allowance?

Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM

1,276 posts, read 654,333 times
I may be wrong but I think Jackson MS may be what Keesler AFB rates fall under.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I may be wrong but I think Jackson MS may be what Keesler AFB rates fall under.
Putting it that way, the BAH calculator says that for an E3 without dependents at Lackland AFB (78236) would be $1,218.00 and Kessler AFB (39534) $ 876.00. My mortgage is about $800. Would the allowance be the same as my mortgage, more or less?

Old 01-27-2018, 06:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 4,291,492 times
In my imperfect recall-

The intent of the OHA is to pay your *mortgage* for your house (in Puerto Rico, I presume, since you're talking about OHA) or to keep your dependents housed while you're in training.

Initial training in Keesler or any other place doesn't matter, as you're not really 'stationed' there. You're staying in barracks (dorm) undergoing a very regimented course of instruction.

Keesler rate may be higher, but that's not where your mortgage is and it's not intended to be a profit center-just to cover cost of housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues