Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times

Advertisements

My father was a member. I thought it was a rich old boys club! I think lack of participation is because people can't afford to get the licenses and maintain them. Being a pilot is a lot of fun and you learn a lot but it is also prohibitively expensive for average people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:53 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My father was a member. I thought it was a rich old boys club! I think lack of participation is because people can't afford to get the licenses and maintain them. Being a pilot is a lot of fun and you learn a lot but it is also prohibitively expensive for average people.
CAP Cadets between the ages of 12-18 get 5 free rides in small airplanes and 5 free rides in gliders and this is funded by the Air Force. CAP Senior Members (adults that join above the age of 18) can learn to pilot gliders for free via CAP and even if they already have a private pilot license for powered aircraft, they can get instrument rating training for free from an appropriately rated CAP Instructor.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:01 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Have any of you ever considered volunteering for the C.A.P. Cadet program, or flying for them. It seems to me as an excellent way to make a great impression on the next generation of our military/law enforcement community.
For about five minutes I considered becoming an adult volunteer, but decided I didn't have the qualifications or experiences they would need or want. However, that led me to check into the local Sea Scouts unit. I'll be attending my first meeting today!

Now that I have retired, I've been looking for an appropriate volunteer opportunity. I have to thank you, ericsvibe, and this thread for pushing me to investigate becoming involved with the Sea Scouts.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
From what I am told by others in the General Aviation community the experience you have with CAP is highly dependent on the individual CAP squadron, and its leadership. Some are into flying a lot, some are not. Some have a more military feel than others. ETC.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:37 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
For about five minutes I considered becoming an adult volunteer, but decided I didn't have the qualifications or experiences they would need or want. However, that led me to check into the local Sea Scouts unit. I'll be attending my first meeting today!

Now that I have retired, I've been looking for an appropriate volunteer opportunity. I have to thank you, ericsvibe, and this thread for pushing me to investigate becoming involved with the Sea Scouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
From what I am told by others in the General Aviation community the experience you have with CAP is highly dependent on the individual CAP squadron, and its leadership. Some are into flying a lot, some are not. Some have a more military feel than others. ETC.
One doesn't need any particular qualifications/experiences to volunteer/to join CAP except a clean criminal record as one does need to submit fingerprints done by a qualified individual. But there are some units that focus more on flying, others more on cadets and others moreon ground (emergency) activities. The main thing one needs is a general interest in aviation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues