U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM

23 posts, read 18,796 times

Advertisements

I just passed the Medical and my ASVAB is about to expire next month. I'm 37 and have a bachelor's degree in computer science. I've been trying to get into the Air National Guard for 3 years now. My recruiter making things extra difficult. I'm about to enlist and just now found out that the commissioning age was raised to 39 (AFI 36-2005). How difficult would be to seek commissioning after I enlist?

Was reading an AFOQT book and found out about I just found about Deserving Airman Commissioning Program. I know that would not apply to me now, but if they were to offer it again; Would be possible to get the 5 EPRs before the max age cutoff?

Or should I just study for the AFOQT and let the ASVAB expire? Really worried that I completely miss out or they decide to lower the age again.

Last edited by Papote13; 02-06-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 AM

23,770 posts, read 38,073,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papote13 View Post
I'm about to enlist and just now found out that the commissioning age was raised to 39 (AFI 36-2005). How difficult would be to seek commissioning after I enlist?
That probably varies continuously... I have met people from various services who were commissioned after they enlisted. You need to get on the ball and start asking questions with all the appropriate recruiters.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 AM

189 posts, read 66,673 times
It is much more difficult to commission after enlisting, than to go in commissioned. If your goal is to become an officer, I strongly urge you to do so beforehand. Once enlisted, you are at the mercy of a lot of people to act on your behalf to become an officer.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 AM

23,770 posts, read 38,073,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
It is much more difficult to commission after enlisting, than to go in commissioned. If your goal is to become an officer, I strongly urge you to do so beforehand. Once enlisted, you are at the mercy of a lot of people to act on your behalf to become an officer.
I do not believe you are correct...

My opinion: If an individual is willing to serve, then give them a chance.

One example:

Officer training selection rates near 70 percent
By: Stephen Losey   September 30, 2015
"Nearly 70 percent of the active-duty enlisted airmen and civilians who applied for Officer Training School were selected for the third class to be announced this year, the Air Force said Tuesday.

Of the 272 OTS applications, the Air Force Recruiting Service chose 189, or 69.49 percent, to attend the 15OT03 class at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama, which will take place in 2016. Of those selected, 45 are enlisted airmen, and the remaining 144 are civilians.

It is the second class in a row in which the acceptance rate has topped 60 percent. In May, the Air Force said that 65.78 percent of the 599 applicants to attend the 15OT02 class were accepted. That was much higher than the 50.33 percent selection rate chosen for the first OTS board, which was announced in March. However, it is not as high as the selection rate for the third class in 2012 78.7 percent or the third class in 2014, which was 76.57 percent."
Reference: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...ar-70-percent/

Old 02-06-2018, 05:39 PM

10,051 posts, read 7,152,754 times
With the Air Guard (20yr ANG vet here) there are dozens of enlisted troops who would like to be commissioned. They have to prove themselves and lots of them will never get slots. Then when a commission becomes available, you have to be on top of your game to be considered. And it helps to be in the right place at the right time.

We had a prior Army O3 who enlisted as an E5. When an O3 position came available, they put him in it. You have to be willing to take a step down to get that step up.

Are you dealing with your local ANG recruiter? They're normally based right there on the Guard base. If not STOP dealing with anyone else and talk to them. See if there are any openings in the Comm Squadron, let them know you're interested in an officer slot and let them tell you best case scenario. Then decide.

The Air Guard is a family that often stays together until someone dies or turns 60. Yes. They stay until 60. I personally abhorred the thought of donning-seating-and clearing a gas mask at the age of 59. No doggone way. And low crawl? I only THOUGHT the Marine Corps taught me how to low crawl. (I was in the Air Wing, after all...) If your nose doesn't bleed from rubbing it along the ground, you're not crawling low enough.

The great thing is you can buy a home and never be transferred.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:57 PM

3,104 posts, read 9,011,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
This hasn't been the case for years. Selection rates for AF enlisted are INSANE. Do you have a pulse? Congrats, you're a lieutenant. Our unit has seen a 95% selection rate over the last two years for enlisted who have applied. If they put in an application we just count on them getting bars.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:37 AM

917 posts, read 391,279 times
Getting a commission in the air guard is completely different process from active duty.

The good (and bad) is there is very low turnover in most ANG units. They literally are like a family or fraternity. So there are typically very few open slots for an officer in any one year unless the unit is going through some type of mission reclassification.

And of the openings, a known enlisted member in good standing and performance has a better chance to get it than a non prior service guy off the street does.

You will literally interview with your local unit and if they like you they will submit your package to the ANG bureau to be accepted to rejected. Once accepted then you start getting your dates for OCS and schooling.

YMMV. best of luck, either way it's a good decision

Old 02-07-2018, 04:10 PM

119 posts, read 57,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

And of the openings, a known enlisted member in good standing and performance has a better chance to get it than a non prior service guy off the street does.

agree. there are plenty of younger guard/reserve members with a Bachelors and military experience.

also, there are commissioned officers who left active duty and who are looking for a guard/reserve slot.

I did see a few off-the-street guys, but they were slotted for pilot or navigator training.

IMO, you are too old to delay and hope. enlist and get going with it.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM

10,051 posts, read 7,152,754 times
Sometimes the officers are the only ones who do leave because they're hoping for promotion and they're waiting for someone to leave, retire or die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or