U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 05:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,575,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Years ago I used to buy candies and all kinds of foods, put them in a box, and sent them to random personnel serving overseas (there are websites where they give you generic APO addresses). Things like that.
As someone who did a year in Afghanistan, those boxes of items was deeply, deeply appreciated. I always wondered who the people were who were on the sending-end of those boxes. Often I wondered how many Americans went about their day not realizing that we had thousands of Soldiers in harms way in both Iraq and Afghanistan (we still have folks over there, unfortunately).

Off topic, but sure wish we can bring them all home once and for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

I don't know one single person who doesn't respect a military man or woman.
they're everywhere - often not overt...

Old 03-29-2018, 12:42 PM

5,677 posts, read 2,986,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
As someone who did a year in Afghanistan, those boxes of items was deeply, deeply appreciated. I always wondered who the people were who were on the sending-end of those boxes. Often I wondered how many Americans went about their day not realizing that we had thousands of Soldiers in harms way in both Iraq and Afghanistan (we still have folks over there, unfortunately).

Off topic, but sure wish we can bring them all home once and for all.
I ate a lot of Girl Scout cookies in Afghanistan! And yes, those boxes were really appreciated. One of the boxes had a card signed by the bartender of an American Legion post that I pass nearby all the time. I stopped by there one day and asked if that bartender was around, and it turns out she was the one on duty at that time, so I thanked her for the card and the box and left a nice big tip.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:02 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,407,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I ate a lot of Girl Scout cookies in Afghanistan! And yes, those boxes were really appreciated. One of the boxes had a card signed by the bartender of an American Legion post that I pass nearby all the time. I stopped by there one day and asked if that bartender was around, and it turns out she was the one on duty at that time, so I thanked her for the card and the box and left a nice big tip.
Isn't awesome? People are so generous to us soldiers while we were away from home. I was so happy to get GSC's and all the treats and stuff from back home.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:52 PM

10,193 posts, read 7,282,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
No further questions.
I spent time in the military AND in Mississippi! Yer good!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:06 AM

31,116 posts, read 18,105,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im not talking about stolen valor and walking around in uniform, but a walmart or ol navy t shirt with army on it. not government issue.

its seems like everybody either stolen valor gun ho or anti military in this area. i just dont want to be attack for wearing a wal mart t shirt, but want to show pride for those that served in my town.

my dad was 35 years airforce but being deaf is a no go for me.
My fiance was with 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion (2nd Recon) and my brother was with 1st Reconnaissance Battalion. (Marine Corps) I sometimes wear the T shirt to support them. (not all the time, but sometimes) I have a lot of friends who are with 1st Battalion, 5th Marines. If they gave me a T shirt to wear, I sometimes wear the T shirt as well. My fiance and my brother would've made some comments lol But that is about it.

I don't see any problems with a T shirt.

Some people think showing support = military worship. I found it odd. Real veterans know who the heroes are, (The ones who cannot make it back) I as a civilian just choose to support them (mostly the people I know and love) It has nothing to do with worshipping.

i think you should do what you want to do. There are a lot of drama queens who want to make everything political. Ignore them. It is THEM who always want to start some kind of fight, and then they turn around and calling us jingoistic. So strange! I choose not to pay them any attention.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-30-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-31-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im not talking about stolen valor and walking around in uniform, but a walmart or ol navy t shirt with army on it. not government issue.

its seems like everybody either stolen valor gun ho or anti military in this area. i just dont want to be attack for wearing a wal mart t shirt, but want to show pride for those that served in my town.

my dad was 35 years airforce but being deaf is a no go for me.
My best friend is a 100% disabled navy Corpsman. You will never know he is 100% disabled by looking at him. He had neck injury and is always in pain, he couldn't even keep the solid food down several years ago. How did he survive this kind of torture is a miracle to me. I bought him a lot of baby food and I also learned some basic massage skills. He is getting so much better now.

I know how to cut a perfect high and tight, so I basically cut all my friends' hair even though they are no longer serving.

When my loved one and my friends were deployed, I sent them Scentless baby wipes believe it or not, I also sent socks, a lot of socks and warmers. I think for food items, good quality coffee is always a good choice. Beef jerky too.

Now, I volunteer at a local VA hospital.

Most of my best friends are U.S. Marines, but I also have soldiers and sailors friends. I support all of them, not just one military branch.

I think how you support the military all depends on your own comfort level. If all you can do is wearing a T shirt, go for it! You will for sure make somebody happy.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My best friend is a 100% disabled navy Corpsman. You will never know he is 100% disabled by looking at him. He had neck injury and is always in pain, he couldn't even keep the solid food down several years ago. How did he survive this kind of torture is a miracle to me. I bought him a lot of baby food and I also learned some basic massage skills. He is getting so much better now.

I know how to cut a perfect high and tight, so I basically cut all my friends' hair even though they are no longer serving.

When my loved one and my friends were deployed, I sent them Scentless baby wipes believe it or not, I also sent socks, a lot of socks and warmers. I think for food items, good quality coffee is always a good choice. Beef jerky too.

Now, I volunteer at a local VA hospital.

Most of my best friends are U.S. Marines, but I also have soldiers and sailors friends. I support all of them, not just one military branch.

I think how you support the military all depends on your own comfort level. If all you can do is wearing a T shirt, go for it! You will for sure make somebody happy.
You're an angel/Godsend. Thanks for the post - nice knowing there a great Americans like yourself.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You're an angel/Godsend. Thanks for the post - nice knowing there a great Americans like yourself.
Thank you so much.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 AM

8,100 posts, read 2,715,126 times
I give to charities that support Ex-Service Personnel.

That's probably one of the best way you can support them.

The Royal British Legion | UK charity for British Armed Forces

Help for Heroes: UK Armed Forces & Military Veterans Charity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues