Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:23 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,142 times

Advertisements

There are all kinds of generic military supporting clothing out there. Just look around a bit and you'll find them.

Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Unisex-Adult-...he+brave+shirt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I don't see an issue with wearing a military-themed t-shirt. Where I draw the line is wearing something that indicates you're a veteran, when you're not. I have a hat and a t-shirt that says "Afghanistan Veteran" along with the Afghanistan Campaign ribbon one each one. I also have a DD-214 that lists the Afghanistan Campaign Medal as one of my awards. My personal opinion is that you don't wear anything concerning a campaign if you were not involved in it and you don't have anything proving you were involved in it.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:59 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Interesting thread.

Since we're on the topic, I was wondering about wearing plain camouflage T-shirts (US Woodland pattern) with no writing. I own a camouflage T-shirt, and wear it in public occasionally. I have a lot of admiration and respect for the military, but I also like the color. Do military personnel consider it somehow disrespectful or pretentious, when a civilian wears one? What about wearing it to war-themed events, like a WWII battle reenactment or an Army rifle exhibit?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:25 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I think some people look too deep into this. The veterans I know (myself included) don't care what people wear as long as they don't try and benefit from it. An example, if you aren't a veteran, don't wear a USMC hat and try to get a free meal on Veteran's day. Wearing the hat is fine, but when you use it as a tool to try and gain something you haven't earned, then we have a problem.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im not talking about stolen valor and walking around in uniform, but a walmart or ol navy t shirt with army on it. not government issue.

its seems like everybody either stolen valor gun ho or anti military in this area. i just dont want to be attack for wearing a wal mart t shirt, but want to show pride for those that served in my town.

my dad was 35 years airforce but being deaf is a no go for me.
as a career member of the military, I'd be honored to see someone wearing a shirt that says "I support the troops" or a bumper sticker with something like that. I usually will give them a salute - I salute a lot of folks w/ military hats, shirts all the time. I don't know if they realize why though -

don't feel bad about not serving - deafness isn't something everyone has to deal with and legit - more so than bone spurs, imo.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, of course, and if someone does not like it, screw them. There is nothing wrong with expressing support for the military through numerous means, including shirts. I think the only line is when the item says "veteran" on it, and would make people think you are a veteran of said service, unit, or campaign.

It is only a problem when you intentions are to steal valor.
I see a lot of homeless panhandlers who are writing this on their signs (Vets) - I hate to see vets panhandling - and really hate seeing anyone posing as a vet if they aren't.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:29 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
You sure can.

Sometimes though it takes more than just words to show your support.

Years ago I used to buy candies and all kinds of foods, put them in a box, and sent them to random personnel serving overseas (there are websites where they give you generic APO addresses). Things like that.

I'm reminded of celebrities who show their support to the troops. Some of these celebrities are quite maligned, like Kathy Griffin, but Kathy actually flew to Iraq with a few other comedians to put on a show for the troops.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:36 AM

4,504 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im not talking about stolen valor and walking around in uniform, but a walmart or ol navy t shirt with army on it. not government issue.

its seems like everybody either stolen valor gun ho or anti military in this area. i just dont want to be attack for wearing a wal mart t shirt, but want to show pride for those that served in my town.

my dad was 35 years airforce but being deaf is a no go for me.
What exactly does it mean to "support" the military? Does it mean a person who is, "rah-rah-rah to anything militrary, go military go", kinda the same way an overly zealous enthusiastic fan might support his or her college football team?

Is "supporting the troops" by wearing a camoflouge tee shirt from WalMart with the word, "ARMY" on the front of it, even though none of the money spent on the tee shirt goes to the troops.

If a person volunteers at a VA hospital;, or maybe that person makes it a point to regularly send gifts to a soldier or soldiers overseas that would be fun or useful and happy to get it. Maybe get for a soldier a subscription to a magazine, To me, that would be "supporting the troops".

Just to say the words out loud, "I support the troops" and not make some kind of a sacrifice, is not supporting the troops. Wearing a tee shirt with the word "ARMY" on the front is hardly a sacrifice.

I don't know one single person who doesn't respect a military man or woman. But they don't do anything to support the troops, except to say out loud, " oh, yes, I'm a supporter of the troops". I'm 63 and not one time in all those 63 years have I ever heard anybody utter the words out loud, "heck no, I don't support the troops".

It's all words and no action; and everybody knows that actions speak louder than words. Words with no action, is just that - words.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-28-2018 at 12:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 06:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Interesting thread.

Since we're on the topic, I was wondering about wearing plain camouflage T-shirts (US Woodland pattern) with no writing. I own a camouflage T-shirt, and wear it in public occasionally. I have a lot of admiration and respect for the military, but I also like the color. Do military personnel consider it somehow disrespectful or pretentious, when a civilian wears one? What about wearing it to war-themed events, like a WWII battle reenactment or an Army rifle exhibit?
Take a detour through Mississippi during hunting season!

Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Take a detour through Mississippi during hunting season!
No further questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues