U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 833 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to join the Airforce, but I hear if you have hyperhidrosis on your hands or feet then it is a no no in the military. I want to know if anyone here is in the military and suffer from hyperhidrosis which is basically excessive sweat on your hands and feet (in my case). Can you tell me how you were able to get in with hyperhidrosis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 PM

3,101 posts, read 9,001,607 times
You can join if it's controlled by medication. It is a disqualification UNLESS controlled by medication. See page 37 of the regulation. g. Current or history of severe hyperhidrosis of hands or feet (705.2, 780.8) unless controlled by topical medications.https://community.apan.org/wg/saf-ll...cuments/184254

Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,152,375 times
What kind of make believe disease is that?

You're on disability???

Yeah man, I got sweaty hands. 100%

Old 02-26-2018, 10:48 AM

125 posts, read 78,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You can join if it's controlled by medication. It is a disqualification UNLESS controlled by medication. See page 37 of the regulation. g. Current or history of severe hyperhidrosis of hands or feet (705.2, 780.8) unless controlled by topical medications.https://community.apan.org/wg/saf-ll...cuments/184254
I hated my service but rode out my contract. Had I known this, I would've tried to leave on a medical discharge. I have it quite severely on my hands and feet.

OP: I did a 3.5yr contract having no idea what hyperhidrosis was. I just knew my hands and feet always sweat like hell and it's annoying as hell. Ruck marches where absolutely hell on my constantly sweaty feet. So was deployment, and running for PT. I was in a flight platoon so I qualified with a pistol. I hated firing it because my hands were dripping with sweat and it felt like it was going to jump out of my hand on each shot.

If you want to act like you are blind to what the guy I quoted said, you could probably get in. Just remember it's not doing you any favors.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 AM

125 posts, read 78,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

You're on disability???

It's not make believe, and people with your attitude is why there's been nothing more than a half assed approach on curing it medically.

I have it severely on my hands and feet and have my entire life. I'm 31 now.

What living with hyperhidrosis is like:

Writing anything on paper causes it to wrinkle and curl at the edges

If I hand someone something I've been holding, they say "gross, why's it all wet"

Being intimate with my wife sucks because no one wants to be touched with wet clammy hands

My laptop and keyboard get little sweat puddles after mere minutes of use

I can't grab anything because my hands are always wet. I can wipe them off all I want and it just doesn't go away. It's like wiping a marker.

The fingerprint reader on my phone doesn't work for me 90% of the time.

Using touch screens is incredibly frusterating

Taking fingerprints when I joined the military took forever because my hands were too sweaty for the ink to stick to them

If I wear a long sleeve shirt, the edges of the sleeves get wet

If I rest my palms on my shirt or jeans, it leaves a wet spot

Every job interview you shake hands. When you are sweating that much, they immediately think you are hiding something.

Imagine dipping your hands in a bucket of water immediately before touching or doing EVERYTHING involving your hands. It's not just a bit damp, it's full on "I just finished running a marathon" sweat you can visibly see on your palms. Now do that every single day of your life for the rest of your life. "Whoops, the steering wheel slipped out of my sweaty goddamn hands and I almost wrecked because of it"

My feet are always soaking wet too. I've slipped and fell walking barefoot on the kitchen floor because of the sweat coating my feet. I can't be barefoot under covers because my sweaty feet soak the blanket.

Made up disease my ass. It's awful to live with and a ton of people are completely unaffected by the medical "cures." Some do work for some people though so there's that. You don't just wear gloves and go about your day because your hands get wrinkly within minutes, and sweat will drip out of the gloves.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM

23,753 posts, read 38,033,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

You're on disability???

You appear to be a dimwit and a troll....

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/.../hyperhidrosis

Quote:
What is hyperhidrosis (hi-purr-hi-DROE-sis)?

This is a medical condition that causes excessive sweating. The word “hyperhidrosis” means too much (hyper) sweating (hidrosis).
Excessive sweating happens when a person sweats more than is necessary. Yes, it’s necessary to sweat. Sweating cools the body, which prevents us from overheating. People who have hyperhidrosis, however, sweat when the body does not need cooling.

Many people who have hyperhidrosis sweat from one or two areas of the body. Most often, they sweat from their palms, feet, underarms, or head. While the rest of the body remains dry, one or two areas may drip with sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or