U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-07-2018, 04:56 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,697 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've been wanting to join the Airforce, but I hear if you have hyperhidrosis on your hands or feet then it is a no no in the military. I want to know if anyone here is in the military and suffer from hyperhidrosis which is basically excessive sweat on your hands and feet (in my case). Can you tell me how you were able to get in with hyperhidrosis?

 
Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,282 posts, read 9,470,288 times
Reputation: 5016
You can join if it's controlled by medication. It is a disqualification UNLESS controlled by medication. See page 37 of the regulation. g. Current or history of severe hyperhidrosis of hands or feet (705.2, 780.8) unless controlled by topical medications.https://community.apan.org/wg/saf-ll...cuments/184254
 
Old 02-12-2018, 08:31 AM
 
3,199 posts, read 1,356,654 times
Reputation: 2379
What kind of make believe disease is that?

You're on disability???

Yeah man, I got sweaty hands. 100%
 
Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 AM
 
125 posts, read 92,488 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You can join if it's controlled by medication. It is a disqualification UNLESS controlled by medication. See page 37 of the regulation. g. Current or history of severe hyperhidrosis of hands or feet (705.2, 780.8) unless controlled by topical medications.https://community.apan.org/wg/saf-ll...cuments/184254
I hated my service but rode out my contract. Had I known this, I would've tried to leave on a medical discharge. I have it quite severely on my hands and feet.

OP: I did a 3.5yr contract having no idea what hyperhidrosis was. I just knew my hands and feet always sweat like hell and it's annoying as hell. Ruck marches where absolutely hell on my constantly sweaty feet. So was deployment, and running for PT. I was in a flight platoon so I qualified with a pistol. I hated firing it because my hands were dripping with sweat and it felt like it was going to jump out of my hand on each shot.

If you want to act like you are blind to what the guy I quoted said, you could probably get in. Just remember it's not doing you any favors.
 
Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 AM
 
125 posts, read 92,488 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
What kind of make believe disease is that?

You're on disability???

Yeah man, I got sweaty hands. 100%
It's not make believe, and people with your attitude is why there's been nothing more than a half assed approach on curing it medically.

I have it severely on my hands and feet and have my entire life. I'm 31 now.


What living with hyperhidrosis is like:


Writing anything on paper causes it to wrinkle and curl at the edges

If I hand someone something I've been holding, they say "gross, why's it all wet"

Being intimate with my wife sucks because no one wants to be touched with wet clammy hands

My laptop and keyboard get little sweat puddles after mere minutes of use

I can't grab anything because my hands are always wet. I can wipe them off all I want and it just doesn't go away. It's like wiping a marker.

The fingerprint reader on my phone doesn't work for me 90% of the time.

Using touch screens is incredibly frusterating

Taking fingerprints when I joined the military took forever because my hands were too sweaty for the ink to stick to them

If I wear a long sleeve shirt, the edges of the sleeves get wet

If I rest my palms on my shirt or jeans, it leaves a wet spot

Every job interview you shake hands. When you are sweating that much, they immediately think you are hiding something.


Imagine dipping your hands in a bucket of water immediately before touching or doing EVERYTHING involving your hands. It's not just a bit damp, it's full on "I just finished running a marathon" sweat you can visibly see on your palms. Now do that every single day of your life for the rest of your life. "Whoops, the steering wheel slipped out of my sweaty goddamn hands and I almost wrecked because of it"

My feet are always soaking wet too. I've slipped and fell walking barefoot on the kitchen floor because of the sweat coating my feet. I can't be barefoot under covers because my sweaty feet soak the blanket.


Made up disease my ass. It's awful to live with and a ton of people are completely unaffected by the medical "cures." Some do work for some people though so there's that. You don't just wear gloves and go about your day because your hands get wrinkly within minutes, and sweat will drip out of the gloves.
 
Old 02-26-2018, 12:26 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,582 posts, read 39,809,085 times
Reputation: 28705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
What kind of make believe disease is that?

You're on disability???
[mod cut]


https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/.../hyperhidrosis

Quote:
What is hyperhidrosis (hi-purr-hi-DROE-sis)?

This is a medical condition that causes excessive sweating. The word “hyperhidrosis” means too much (hyper) sweating (hidrosis).
Excessive sweating happens when a person sweats more than is necessary. Yes, it’s necessary to sweat. Sweating cools the body, which prevents us from overheating. People who have hyperhidrosis, however, sweat when the body does not need cooling.

Many people who have hyperhidrosis sweat from one or two areas of the body. Most often, they sweat from their palms, feet, underarms, or head. While the rest of the body remains dry, one or two areas may drip with sweat.

Last edited by volosong; Today at 09:59 AM..
 
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
 
1 posts, read 12 times
Reputation: 15
[mod cut] “What kind of make believe disease is that”.

How about I couldn’t dial 911 when someone was on the floor having a sezer recently because the only option is a touch screen phone.

How about I lost a job because I couldn’t get my finger prints to take after a month of me going in twice a week. Lets not even mention the embarrassment and frustration I went through.

How about I work in sales and all I do the entire day is shake peoples hands. I was fired from a job because I didn’t shake someone’s hands before so now I just go for it. I have heard people say eww, what’s a matter with your hands etc.

How about almost getting into a car accident because my hands were so wet I couldn’t get a grip on the wheel.

Putting my make up on.
Buttoning a shirt.
Dancing at a party.
Don’t I dare wear shoes without socks!
Having sex!

It is debilitating! The military won’t accept those with palmers and planters HH they have recognized it inhibits those individuals from carrying out normal tasks. Good luck in this world if your foolish enough to not understand the obstacles that others face just because they aren’t obvious or you don’t relate.

Last edited by volosong; Today at 10:00 AM.. Reason: personal attack
 
Old Today, 07:59 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,471 posts, read 4,248,007 times
Reputation: 19686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post
It's not make believe, and people with your attitude is why there's been nothing more than a half assed approach on curing it medically.

I have it severely on my hands and feet and have my entire life. I'm 31 now.


What living with hyperhidrosis is like:


Writing anything on paper causes it to wrinkle and curl at the edges

If I hand someone something I've been holding, they say "gross, why's it all wet"

Being intimate with my wife sucks because no one wants to be touched with wet clammy hands

My laptop and keyboard get little sweat puddles after mere minutes of use

I can't grab anything because my hands are always wet. I can wipe them off all I want and it just doesn't go away. It's like wiping a marker.

The fingerprint reader on my phone doesn't work for me 90% of the time.

Using touch screens is incredibly frusterating

Taking fingerprints when I joined the military took forever because my hands were too sweaty for the ink to stick to them

If I wear a long sleeve shirt, the edges of the sleeves get wet

If I rest my palms on my shirt or jeans, it leaves a wet spot

Every job interview you shake hands. When you are sweating that much, they immediately think you are hiding something.


Imagine dipping your hands in a bucket of water immediately before touching or doing EVERYTHING involving your hands. It's not just a bit damp, it's full on "I just finished running a marathon" sweat you can visibly see on your palms. Now do that every single day of your life for the rest of your life. "Whoops, the steering wheel slipped out of my sweaty goddamn hands and I almost wrecked because of it"

My feet are always soaking wet too. I've slipped and fell walking barefoot on the kitchen floor because of the sweat coating my feet. I can't be barefoot under covers because my sweaty feet soak the blanket.


Made up disease my ass. It's awful to live with and a ton of people are completely unaffected by the medical "cures." Some do work for some people though so there's that. You don't just wear gloves and go about your day because your hands get wrinkly within minutes, and sweat will drip out of the gloves.
My son had the same issue. But it wasn't just his hands & feet it was also his armpits. Like you said his hands would drip sweat and he started wearing only black shirts to hide the humungous sweat stains under his arms. He tried prescription antiperspirants, some electrical thing he had to put his hands in but what finally gave him relief was a drug called oxybutynin. It is also given to people with overactive bladder. He feels it changed his life.
 
Old Today, 09:14 AM
 
10,133 posts, read 14,512,756 times
Reputation: 11143
Professionally, I wear nitrite gloves pretty much day long at work. I have no issues using touch screen with them on.



For our patients, in prosthetics, we recommend medication called https://www.certaindri.com/ Excessive sweating inside prosthetic socket is initial major problem for most new amputees.



Otherwise, as described in some severe cases above, it is symptom of underlying health issue that has to be diagnosed.
 
Old Today, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Rathdrum, ID
4,283 posts, read 4,077,841 times
Reputation: 8218
Question has been answered. It has been a year since the OP posted his question, and it the only post he has ever posted. Thread closed.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top