U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM

5,873 posts, read 2,406,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Coming from the aviation community, there are some very big money wasters that I witnessed first hand.

1. The requirement that all Navy aircraft must be launched with a full fuel load. I hope that when the Navy transitions to electromagnetic catapults, this will change. The way it works now, is each aircraft has a metal "holdback" fitting, that is a measured thickness. This holds the aircraft in place, while the engines are put to full power. Once the catapult is launched, it snaps the fitting, sending the aircraft down the deck, and into the air. Because of this system, the aircraft have to be launched with a consistent weight. How does this cost money. We would load 1,900 gallons of fuel into the aircraft, launch as the "alert tanker", it would fly for 10 minutes, dump all but 300 gallons of that fuel into the ocean, turn around and land. Because of the antiquated arresting gear, all aircraft have to dump fuel to reach a target weight before they can land, to prevent stress on the arresting wires. I bet that millions of gallons of jet fuel are dumped every year into the ocean by the Navy.

2. The parts supply chain is broken. When the Military signs contracts with aircraft manufacturers, they give up all cost control of the parts. I will again speak from first hand knowledge. NAS Jacksonville ran short on main mount tires. We were literally removing tires from one aircraft, to put them on another, so it could fly. The tires were made by Goodyear. There was a model number on the tire. I went and looked it up on the internet. The tire, on the civilian market was around $900.00 each. I went and talked to the Petty Officer in our parts department. The Navy was purchasing the same tire for $1,400.00 each. I even reported this to the waste and abuse number, and was later politely told to worry about my own shop.

That is just two instances.

I do agree that the Air Force should be turned back into the United States Army Air Core, it restores it to what it was in the beginning, and will knock them down a peg or two.
From what I was told by my ex co-worker in engineering who is now 93 who was in the army air corp is that it was great. Of course that was a different time and a different army and the comraderi was awesome.

The path to becoming a military pilot these days requires you to be an officer which involves academy, OTS or ROTC, all 3 of these paths involve varying degrees of bolony. Back in the day becoming a pilot was basicly like AIT. I would imagine some of the pilots doubled as mechanics as well when things were slow or the weather was bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or