U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 12:25 PM

537 posts, read 804,288 times

Advertisements

My son graduated in 2012 from Dowling College School of Aviation. Has a BS in Airport Management with a minor in CTI-ATC. Because of the crazy problems with the air traffic control hiring program over the past years - (the push to diversify the pool of candidates) he has applied and taken the ATSAT, now called ATSA, at least five times. Even though he took it in college in 2011 and got a 98%, this is not good enough now. Here's the problem: by joining the Air National Guard, he would be allowed to keep bidding on those government FAA positions to age 35 as opposed to age 30 as a CTI grad. Would this be a plausible step for him? Anyone have this situation? Aviation/air traffic control is his passion (he's also a private pilot). He works now in a major city airport training pilots - running the simulator for pilots in the tower. a private sub-contractor does this for the FAA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 01:11 PM

28,968 posts, read 45,843,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
... Here's the problem: by joining the Air National Guard, he would be allowed to keep bidding on those government FAA positions to age 35 as opposed to age 30 as a CTI grad
I do not follow what the 'problem' is.

Quote:
... Would this be a plausible step for him?
I do not see why not.

It is commendable that he has gotten a BS in Airport Management. It is great that he works training pilots, and that he has taken the ATSAT, now called ATSA, at least five times. I do not think any of this has any bearing on his ability to join the ANG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or