U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 AM

3,076 posts, read 8,855,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
In my engineering program there were only 9 credits of stuff like that, in the whole program, could maybe be stretched to 12 or 15 if the intro to geology and 2 credits of physical education are also counted

Still that leaves the majority of the degree program that you cant just CLEP out of. CLEP and credits for military service are all great things, I just have to wonder if we are talking about the same engineering degrees. Having 15 credits or so go away would be nice but its not as leveraging as recruiters make it sound, your still left with over 100 credits of brutal course work that will consume inordinate amounts of time .....

If people really are getting real engineering degrees while doing active duty then they are going through 8 year of hell lol. Either that or I am at the low end of human performance lol.
I wasn't talking about Engineering, I was just talking about degrees. I have no idea how many engineering degrees people get, but they get tons of degrees. We do have ways to get engineering degrees, like AFIT, where you go in-residence to an engineering graduate degree but don't go to work. You stop working, you only go to school, you get paid, tuition is free. We also have options to do that on active duty to get a bachenolors in Engineering, whereup you no longer have to work, you just go to free college classes, while getting paid. Those programs are called ASCP, AECP, ROTC, SOAR, LEAP, AFELA, and more.

Here is an example of some of the specifics of one program- AECP
"The applicant’s job is to go to school as a full-time college student. AECP ROTC cadets may participate in the program from one to 3 years, depending on their major, prior academic preparation, and age limitations.

During the program, they attend school year-round to include summer terms, except when the AECP ROTC Cadet attends summer field training. The AECP is not an avenue for undergraduate flying training. In other words, you cannot become a pilot or navigator under this program.

AECP cadets are provided with a tuition/fees scholarship of up to $15,000 per year and an annual textbook allowance of $510. Students may not pay the difference to attend higher cost schools.

Application packages are usually due in January of each year. Airmen should check with their local Education Offices for specific application deadline criteria for the year they wish to apply.

AECP is open to students in the following fields:

Meteorology
Nursing
Foreign languages (limited to Arabic, Chinese, Persian, Russian, Hindi, Pashto, Armenian, Georgian, Azeri, Kazakh, Indonesian, Swahili, Hebrew, French, Turkish). All other languages will be considered on a case-by-case basis based on the needs of the Air Force.
Foreign area studies (limited to Middle East, Africa, Asia, Russia/Eurasia). Area studies degree programs must include a requirement for foreign language courses in the region of study.
Mathematics
Physics
Computer Science
Engineering. Any ABET-accredited engineering major (note: not ABET Technology majors)
All technical majors must be AFIT (Air Force Institute of Technology) approved at the university the applicant plans to attend. Nursing degrees must be accredited by the National League of Nursing or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.

AECP cadets will complete their commissioning training through Air Force ROTC (including completion of Aerospace Studies courses, Leadership Laboratory, and Field Training).

Eligibility
Be a United States citizen.
Meet the age requirements (Under 30 by board date) or have obtained an age waiver (available if you can commission before 35).
Have at least one year Time-In-Service (May be waiverable except for pipeline technical school students).
Have at least one year Time-On-Station (May be waiverable).
Be recommended by your immediate commander.
Meet the minimum college grade point averages and have completed the required coursework for your major (typically a minimum of 45 semester hours is required). Math/Science/Engineering majors must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75, nontechnical and Nursing applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.
Be admitted to a school offering Air Force ROTC (including crosstown schools) and the academic major you desire to study. The annual tuition at this school may not exceed $15,000 per year.
Earn Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT) scores of 15 or more on the Verbal scale and 10 or more on the Quantitative scale. NOTE: AFOQT scores may be waiverable for those who have taken the test twice and failed both times.
Pass the Air Force ROTC Physical Fitness Test.
Meet all the requirements for commissioning (physical, moral, fitness, etc.) listed in AFI 36-2013, chapter 1, and AFI 36-2005.
Meet the requirement for overseas retainability. For individuals at an OCONUS (overseas assignment) location, IAW AFI 36-2013, Table 1.2, rule 10, the applicant may not apply if the applicant does not apply before the 25th day of the 8th month before the date eligible for return from overseas (DEROS) month....translated: applicants must have approximately 8 months left on station by the package due date. The Military Personnel Flight (MPF) can help the applicant determine what the new DEROS will need to be to be eligible to apply. If the applicant does not, they must request an extension through their normal base channels. If the applicant does not have enough time remaining on their assignment, they will be ineligible to apply for a commissioning program.
Special rules apply for members with an Enlistment Bonus or Selective Reenlistment Bonus or for those who need a TOS or DEROS waiver.

Applicants with a bachelor's degree in another field may apply to participate in AECP to earn a second bachelor's degree in one of the above-listed fields.

Selection Process

The AECP application process consists of two parts...the AFIT evaluation and the AECP Selection Board.

The Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) evaluates the applicant's academic credentials to ensure they meet the minimum academic eligibility criteria for their desired major.

The AECP Selection board meets in April each year. The board utilizes the "whole person" concept to evaluate applicants. As part of the board process, applicants will be evaluated on their ability to put their package together in the proper format in accordance with the ECP Package Checklist and directions on this site. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the package is complete. While the board considers all documents in an application package, they typically focus on the commander's recommendation, the airman's duty performance history, and the applicant's academic performance to determine the applicant's eligibility. Airmen selected the board will begin classes the following fall term. In rare cases, and airman may apply for a waiver to begin classes during the following spring term."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM

4,482 posts, read 7,648,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Absolutely, the same way that college students work for an income. Here are the most recent stats on how many degrees people in each branch earn yearly. GO AIR FORCE considering we are relatively small compared to the Army. http://demo.dantespulse.com/_content...tSheetFY15.pdf
I know the Air Force likes to brag about this but it really makes me question if the Air Force has enough to do if they can produce that many degrees over the other services.

Serving in the military should provide you the opportunity to earn a college education by using the GI Bill after you complete your enlistment. Earning a degree should take a career in the military to be able to piece together if it is going to be done on active duty. Graduate Degrees on active duty should be rare in my opinion as military members should be deploying with other commitments and not be professional students.

It took me 20 years to piece together a bachelors degree on active duty in the Navy. I didn't know anyone that was able to piece together a graduate degree while on active duty.

I earned my graduate degree on an Air Force Base and was amazed that almost all of the other students were Air Force and were working on multiple graduate degrees as they had earned a graduate degree on active duty.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:50 PM

29,185 posts, read 46,327,666 times
I left the Navy after 6 years, and decided to attend college on the GI-bill. At that time, the state university I attended was willing to accept all of my credits from CLEPing and other courses, so long as none of them were within my major. The head of the engineering department wanted me to take all engineering courses there on his campus.

Once I was done with that I went back into uniform, and I found a college that allowed me to do my graduate-level courses via correspondence work.

I also saw a lot of my fellow crewmen doing upper-level courses and CLEPs focusing on psychology or business degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or