Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkhan21 View Post
Can I serve active duty while getting and undergrad degree at the same time. Any options that you know would Ben helpful thanks
Sure. I have a few buddies who i prodded into going to college. One is a CPO, one is a LC and the other is a gunny. All are going to school working on BAchelors degrees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 PM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
This. Free testing too.

It is possible for a few accredited colleges in the US to meet nearly all business degree requirements through testing. Excelsior College is one.

If you have solid Spanish, German or French language skills you can get up to 12 credits in a single CLEP.
Ha ha! That's ME! Even the Spanish credits. And I had only 2 yrs pf high school Spanish. I actually got a bachelors degree in two fields. At the time they accepted Graduate Record Exams as upper division credits. I wish I had known about Excelsior and the others earlier.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:43 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's also the CLEP and DANTES exams which cover quite a bit of the liberal arts portion of many degrees. Military members frequently get work experience credit as well. Of course, this depends on their program and job.

Excelsior College has a major department just for military degrees. You must be an active military member to enroll in those programs. You can earn a BS in nuclear engineering. A good port of the lower level coursework is covered by military work experience credit. Even a portion of the upper levels are covered by military work experience. Military life isn't the same as civilian life.
How is this possible when you have courses like calc 1, 2, 3 differenetial equations, statics, organic chemistry, physical chemistry and on and on. Are you learning the in depth details about these subjects during military training? These courses were brutal and had a high rate of failure for people accepted into top tier schools, I could not imagine buying a physical chemistry book and just reading it and taking a test, if you can do that then you should be in a PhD program and working at los alamos.

Then if you want to get into upper division your talking about process controls, optics, heat transfer, fluids, thermodynamics, advanced organic, finite element analysis, etc, etc. Depending on your flavor of engineering of course.

As I said before out of 130 credits we had 9 credits of liberal arts, are these nuclear engineering courses ABET accredited? Something is not adding up.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
How is this possible when you have courses like calc 1, 2, 3 differenetial equations, statics, organic chemistry, physical chemistry and on and on. Are you learning the in depth details about these subjects during military training? These courses were brutal and had a high rate of failure for people accepted into top tier schools, I could not imagine buying a physical chemistry book and just reading it and taking a test, if you can do that then you should be in a PhD program and working at los alamos.

Then if you want to get into upper division your talking about process controls, optics, heat transfer, fluids, thermodynamics, advanced organic, finite element analysis, etc, etc. Depending on your flavor of engineering of course.

As I said before out of 130 credits we had 9 credits of liberal arts, are these nuclear engineering courses ABET accredited? Something is not adding up.
Usually the testing credits are for the basics, history, speech, algebra, english 1, foreign language, generally not differential equations. Here is the list of tests you can take as far a CLEP, and I know the AF gives free study guides and practice tests. Many are just going to test you on what you learned in high school. They often have high failure rates, but it's a few hours so worth a try. I took 5, passed 4 of the 5 with some studying. I failed the speech one, of all things, and I give speeches as part of my job .

Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Usually the testing credits are for the basics, history, speech, algebra, english 1, foreign language, generally not differential equations. Here is the list of tests you can take as far a CLEP, and I know the AF gives free study guides and practice tests. Many are just going to test you on what you learned in high school. They often have high failure rates, but it's a few hours so worth a try. I took 5, passed 4 of the 5 with some studying. I failed the speech one, of all things, and I give speeches as part of my job .
I got a C on my "Public Speaking" class. It is okay it didn't affect my GPA at all. It was a transfer so I ended with my GPA of 3.85. The instructor asked me if I had an issue with my grade to which I said heck no. Like you I was up front of people all the time. Kind of hard not to if your the senior NCO (1SG) in the company and it is your responsibility to put out the day's information to all the soldiers in your unit, let alone have to give reports to the commanders in the battalion.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
My grandson served 6 years with Medi-Vac in Air Force,completed college courses which allowed him to get in law enforcement which he wanted at discharge.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
In my engineering program there were only 9 credits of stuff like that, in the whole program, could maybe be stretched to 12 or 15 if the intro to geology and 2 credits of physical education are also counted

Still that leaves the majority of the degree program that you cant just CLEP out of. CLEP and credits for military service are all great things, I just have to wonder if we are talking about the same engineering degrees. Having 15 credits or so go away would be nice but its not as leveraging as recruiters make it sound, your still left with over 100 credits of brutal course work that will consume inordinate amounts of time .....

If people really are getting real engineering degrees while doing active duty then they are going through 8 year of hell lol. Either that or I am at the low end of human performance lol.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
If you are in STEM you might consider applying for the Navy Nuke scholarship, it's a full ride scholarship and then you end up as an officer. I don't know what the time commitment is right now, I think it was like 9 years when I was a kid.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
any class you take while being in,is better than none

Old 02-14-2018, 06:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkhan21 View Post
Can I serve active duty while getting and undergrad degree at the same time. Any options that you know would Ben helpful thanks
Go visit a recruiter on your local college campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues