U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 791 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the process of enlisting in the Air Force. He has around 25 credit hours and wants to eventually obtain a bachelors but I have heard from a few people the if he is married he will not be able to become an officer even with his bachelors. Iíve also heard that thatís not true, just that he wonít be able to go to the academy. So my question is, since he is married will he be able to apply for the schooling to get the bachelors in the Air Force? If not and he can get the degree on his own through another college, can he then apply for officer school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 AM

31,679 posts, read 38,621,654 times
https://www.academyadmissions.com/ad...s/eligibility/

If married he would have to go to Air Force Officer Candidate School (or whatever they call it). Academy attendance would be precluded.

He can earn a Bachelor's degree from wherever and then go to OCS afterwards.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM

5,873 posts, read 2,405,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
https://www.academyadmissions.com/ad...s/eligibility/

If married he would have to go to Air Force Officer Candidate School (or whatever they call it). Academy attendance would be precluded.

He can earn a Bachelor's degree from wherever and then go to OCS afterwards.
Be prepared to travel to find an AF officer recruiter, they are far and few between. I think the Air Force gets who they need mostly through the academy and ROTC. When I was looking at AF OCS (I think AF is OTS), the attitude was like sure I suppose I can build you a packet, but they dont really work with you too much and each recruiter has a specialty so if the recruiter in your area specializes in medical and you want flight school you may have to work with a recruiter from out of state and travel back and forth as needed.

Also you have to take the AFOQT and you can only take it twice in your life, so dont screw it up lol. Not sure if academy grads have to take it.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:29 PM

14,390 posts, read 6,579,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmorris27 View Post
My husband is in the process of enlisting in the Air Force. He has around 25 credit hours and wants to eventually obtain a bachelors but I have heard from a few people the if he is married he will not be able to become an officer even with his bachelors. I’ve also heard that that’s not true, just that he won’t be able to go to the academy. So my question is, since he is married will he be able to apply for the schooling to get the bachelors in the Air Force? If not and he can get the degree on his own through another college, can he then apply for officer school?
Totally false. In my pilot training class ALL of the OTS graduates, every last one (and there were 5) were married, one with kids, and one whose wife had her first baby three days after we started training. That is no way to go through any training , but especially something as demanding as pilot training. Still, he graduated. Now, the Academy is something else. Four years at the Zoo with the first two not allowing any off time is not conducive to a long and healthy marriage. Therefore, eligibility is limited to unmarried applicants.

There is another active thread about the same topic, and it IS possible to finish a degree, even a STEM degree, as an enlisted person, but that first year after training, depending on the job, is going to significantly limit or even totally curtail any school opportunities. As always, the needs of the Air Force...

Old 02-15-2018, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 791 times
Thank you for the replies! Sorry, I didn’t see the other thread about this topic! But that is a relief that he still has the option to be an officer. Thanks for all the information!

Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM

17,640 posts, read 9,615,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmorris27 View Post
Thank you for the replies! Sorry, I didnít see the other thread about this topic! But that is a relief that he still has the option to be an officer. Thanks for all the information!
His best option for a commission, however, would be to stay civilian right now and head for a college with an AFROTC program and let them pay for his last two years of tuition.

Getting into to OCS after getting his degree is far riskier later.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
His best option for a commission, however, would be to stay civilian right now and head for a college with an AFROTC program and let them pay for his last two years of tuition.

Getting into to OCS after getting his degree is far riskier later.
You have to maintain like a 3.5 GPA though, pretty tough for certain programs.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:22 AM

855 posts, read 380,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Exactly. It's not easy to get an "A" in fluid dynamics in mechanical engineering or digital signal processing in electrical engineering. It can be done, but it usually takes about 15 hours per week for just one class (3 credits). Add up 15 credits and that is over 40 hours. There are child prodigies who ace such courses with minimum time. The Navy ROTC guy I knew in college was one of them, but they are infrequent. Most put in a huge amount of time even just to get a "B". This image shows examples of vector calculus by NASA
for flight dynamics. It takes a lot of work. Those guys in Air Force or Navy ROTC usually put in a lot of time.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:23 AM

17,640 posts, read 9,615,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Less difficult than the Captain America career you have to maintain as an enlisted member trying to get into OCS...because there aren't enough enlisted slots even for all the Captains America. And ROTC doesn't call for everyone to be majoring in fluid dynamics.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Less difficult than the Captain America career you have to maintain as an enlisted member trying to get into OCS...because there aren't enough enlisted slots even for all the Captains America. And ROTC doesn't call for everyone to be majoring in fluid dynamics.
No but if the military pisses you off to much you want to have as marketable degree as possible to step into the civilian world. But I dont need a 3.5 gpa to get that degree and a job, a 3.0 will suffice just fine. I also dont need to do it in the time prescribed by the military to be successful in school, these time frames are artificially set up by the military.

That is the crux of the issue with all these military programs, it forces someone to be captain america and if you dont cut it your still under contract and in quite the pickle. The military contracting is quite the conumdrum and CAN put people in really bad situations. Rather than just letting you go home if you fail to meet capt america status for a quarter they can give you some really horrendous undesirable duties and throw your entire life off track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues