U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 04:15 AM

465 posts, read 168,197 times

Advertisements

My first duty station in the Army was at Fort Carson, CO in the late 70s. My mechanized Infantry Battalion put on this dog and pony show for the Phillipine government to display M113 Armored personnel Carriers and demonstrate their capabilities.

This was held just off the main post in open fields where of course they get all dirty and whatnot and dust flies everywhere when they are driven.

But, the brass wanted these things clean as a whistle, so they had a large water truck sent to the area so we could constantly wash these things and make them look new. And I remember the Battalion XO freaking out when he saw dirt in between the track shoes, because he was so afraid someone higher than him would find it first.

I just recall many of us asking the question: "Is this what the Army is about"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 04:21 AM

4,601 posts, read 4,241,436 times
While deployed we had a wonderful job we dubbed "Dookie Duty". That would be to pull the steel barrel bottom out of the porta-john, pour a mixture of gasoline and diesel fuel in to it and light it aflame and stir.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:24 AM
Status: "It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah" (set 6 days ago)

19,898 posts, read 19,525,308 times
we launched an old pick-up truck from the flight deck of a carrier I was on somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, hopefully someday a marine biologists has it suddenly appear in his headlights while looking for bottom feeding lifeforms down there...

(my pic)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ere-obl3.1.jpg

Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 AM

8,422 posts, read 6,879,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
My first duty station in the Army was at Fort Carson, CO in the late 70s. My mechanized Infantry Battalion put on this dog and pony show for the Phillipine government to display M113 Armored personnel Carriers and demonstrate their capabilities.

This was held just off the main post in open fields where of course they get all dirty and whatnot and dust flies everywhere when they are driven.

But, the brass wanted these things clean as a whistle, so they had a large water truck sent to the area so we could constantly wash these things and make them look new. And I remember the Battalion XO freaking out when he saw dirt in between the track shoes, because he was so afraid someone higher than him would find it first.

I just recall many of us asking the question: "Is this what the Army is about"?
We had a steam turbine powered pump that was broken. We had it in pieces trying to repair. Some big shot was going to come to the ship to visit. We were ordered to put it back together and make it look like it worked “in case he decideded to visit the engine room”. He never made it below the quarterdeck level. After he left there was a mad rush to get that pump taken apart and repaired. If they’d let us do our job it would have been repaired before he left the ship!

Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 AM

7,960 posts, read 4,890,376 times
Strange or just stupid? I was USAF Reserve on a SAC base. Sergeant told me to take a newby over to the flight line to get his gear. I objected that the guy did not have ID yet. Sarge insisted, rudely. When we arrived at the Regular AF SAC sergeant's window, he called "7 High" on the recruit. Poor guy ended up face down on the floor with a real AR-15 in the back of his neck until our sergeant showed up to explain.
"Hilarity ensued"

Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I was C-130 aircrew and we would put our beer in the open void in the cargo door, just aft of the ramp. When we got to our destination it would be nice and cold. A perfect way to end the day!<>
My Dad, WWII, told the story that as the P-40 Maintenance officer in China it was his responsibility to take alcohol rations up to altitude to cool them the natural way, in a modified belly tank.
Don't know if the custom continued in his tours in Korea and Vietnam.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we launched an old pick-up truck from the flight deck of a carrier I was on somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, hopefully someday a marine biologists has it suddenly appear in his headlights while looking for bottom feeding lifeforms down there...

(my pic)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ere-obl3.1.jpg
https://youtu.be/3zzdzZxgbsE

Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM

180 posts, read 171,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
While deployed we had a wonderful job we dubbed "Dookie Duty". That would be to pull the steel barrel bottom out of the porta-john, pour a mixture of gasoline and diesel fuel in to it and light it aflame and stir.
I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone describing the disgusting task of "burning the $***ers" quite so eloquently and "G" rated.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:28 AM

1,288 posts, read 1,994,328 times
It was apparent early in my time aboard ship that the Navy loved to have Marines swab decks. It was undeniable that our highly polished boots made ugly black marks on the deck, so a sailor would grab the nearest Marine and have him swab fore and aft.

This extra duty would interfere with my normal routine of eating and sleeping, eating and sleeping, and so on. On my next ship I decided to bring along a pair of tennis shoes, and never, ever swabbed a Navy deck. I don't know that I actually beat the system, though, as I had an unusually high amount of time on head detail.

Unusual things you did as part of military life-02-22-2018-09-19-05am.jpg Waiting in the chow line.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:12 PM

582 posts, read 281,623 times
The day the Frankfurt PX area was bombed, I was just inside the PX door, across the parking lot from where the blast occurred. Ducked back inside until I was reasonably sure there wouldn't be a second blast. MPs were clearing the parking lot, mainly by telling uninjured folks to get in their cars and leave via the other undamaged exits.

I had to wait a while, since my vehicle was very close to the blast area (and utterly unscathed yet again, but that's a different story).

So I helped very shaken up people to their cars and made sure they were steady enough to drive away. One woman went into hysterics in the parking lot -- uninjured, just panicked. When I couldn't get her to calm down, I figured what the heck and slapped the snot out of her.

Holy moly! It actually works! Took a bit to calm her down enough to get in her car, but she got home okay. When the MPs had things under control around the blast site, I was able to leave myself.

Yet another interesting day in Frankfurt am Main...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or