U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:13 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,968,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
The day the Frankfurt PX area was bombed, I was just inside the PX door, across the parking lot from where the blast occurred. Ducked back inside until I was reasonably sure there wouldn't be a second blast. MPs were clearing the parking lot, mainly by telling uninjured folks to get in their cars and leave via the other undamaged exits.

I had to wait a while, since my vehicle was very close to the blast area (and utterly unscathed yet again, but that's a different story).

So I helped very shaken up people to their cars and made sure they were steady enough to drive away. One woman went into hysterics in the parking lot -- uninjured, just panicked. When I couldn't get her to calm down, I figured what the heck and slapped the snot out of her.

Holy moly! It actually works! Took a bit to calm her down enough to get in her car, but she got home okay. When the MPs had things under control around the blast site, I was able to leave myself.

Yet another interesting day in Frankfurt am Main...
Yup. My DH was with the 284th MPs and he was one of the first ones in the zone. Things were really ugly for months after the blast. Thanksgiving was non-existent that year; we rotated duty so often that we were dizzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 PM

4,651 posts, read 3,019,005 times
Bathed in the Tennessee River during a two-week field exercise ...... in mid-December.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:43 PM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times
Once had a guy busted down for running a black market on the ship. Prior to our 6 month deployment he bought many cartons of popular name brand cigarettes and stashed them in a special locker. When the ship’s store ran out of cigarettes he started selling those cigarettes by the pack for ridiculous prices. The guy wasn’t even a smoker.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Once had a guy busted down for running a black market on the ship. Prior to our 6 month deployment he bought many cartons of popular name brand cigarettes and stashed them in a special locker. When the ship’s store ran out of cigarettes he started selling those cigarettes by the pack for ridiculous prices. The guy wasn’t even a smoker.
I have always wondered what the "problem" is with this sort of thing. It's simply supply and demand, and this bird was smart enough to bring a long a "stash" and sell at an opportune time. It's not like he forced the guys to buy. It's not like he didn't say what his price was up front, you could buy them or not.

It is generally smart, though, in such a situation to not abuse things too much. If he sold them for say 2X what he paid for them, probably no one would get their knickers in a twist.

On board ship, remember you have to live with these guys for several more weeks and it's not in your best interest that most of them hate your guts.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:58 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Burning C-4 to heat C-Rations.

Pot delivered in letters at Mail Call.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:18 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have always wondered what the "problem" is with this sort of thing. It's simply supply and demand, and this bird was smart enough to bring a long a "stash" and sell at an opportune time. It's not like he forced the guys to buy. It's not like he didn't say what his price was up front, you could buy them or not.

It is generally smart, though, in such a situation to not abuse things too much. If he sold them for say 2X what he paid for them, probably no one would get their knickers in a twist.

On board ship, remember you have to live with these guys for several more weeks and it's not in your best interest that most of them hate your guts.
LOL, I stocked cartons of cigarettes in a variety of brands, obtained for about $2/carton at the PX. At one point, after a rather long time away from the base, I was getting as much as $5- for a *single* cigarette. I didn't demand that price, it was offered. Nobody hated me for it, they were grateful that I had had the foresight to be 'prepared'. When you're out in the boonies with no hope in sight of getting back any time soon, and nobody else has what you want...

Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,290,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
LOL. That is a riot. Nobody thought of just using an M60 machine gun? Joking of course. Thanks for your service over there.
1. neighbors might object to all the noise.
2. they called it cruelty to pet animals.
3. bullets got in their teeth.
More?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 PM

10,391 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Deployed to Japan (USMC), Thursday/field day AND the day before payday. We were all broke and stuck on base doing the typical massive cleaning of the barracks in prep for the Friday morning inspection. Everyone dreaded it and were dragging around at work. I challenged everyone to give me a dollar if they wanted to party. I collected enough to buy a couple gallons of rum at the base package store, we collected spare yen coins to get cokes from the vending machines and we spent the evening cleaning and drinking.

There was a lot of drinking that went on back in the day. You could pretty much buy booze and get drunk every where you went on bases.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 PM

11,769 posts, read 15,792,846 times
In 1969, I read the entire Bram Stoker Dracula novel while sitting in an Air Force Coleman MB-4 aircraft tug over two nights. The tug was sitting beside an F-111 tied down on a trim pad while its two TF30 engines shook the ground and lit the night with its afterburners. For a reading light, I turned the tug's rear spotlight into the back of the tug.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 PM

4,036 posts, read 1,835,475 times
I and many others threw that $2000 dollar fancy aluminum linked ammo "feed chute" away that was attached to our M-60's. Used a meat portion C-rats can instead. Worked better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or