U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 PM
 
11,931 posts, read 11,478,605 times
Reputation: 16060

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Once had a guy busted down for running a black market on the ship. Prior to our 6 month deployment he bought many cartons of popular name brand cigarettes and stashed them in a special locker. When the shipís store ran out of cigarettes he started selling those cigarettes by the pack for ridiculous prices. The guy wasnít even a smoker.
Never heard that being illegal to do. The only thing financially speaking illegal was to loan money at interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2018, 07:37 AM
 
7,717 posts, read 10,833,040 times
Reputation: 9874
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
LOL. That is a riot. Nobody thought of just using an M60 machine gun? Joking of course. Thanks for your service over there.
Maybe they were saving their ammo in case of attack? You know, they were in a war zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 07:41 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
13,486 posts, read 6,251,723 times
Reputation: 5892
As an Air Liaison Officer with an Army armor BN, I was the senior USAF officer in the Tactical Air Control Party (TACP) during the unit's rotation at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin. I was a junior captain (O-3) and my fire support officer, an Army O-3, and I were going to prank his track driver, an E-4 Specialist who was a dead ringer for Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters, on his birthday. In the BN TOC he grabbed the driver's helmet while I cut the end of a chem stick off with a K-BAR, and drizzled a little of it on the top of the Kevlar pot, then put it back. We then went outside and waited, it was totally dark, only the stars provided any light. He walked out, put on his pot, and suddenly there were calls of "Hey, you, ya never heard of light discipline?" and "Damn, it's a f*****g ghost!" from a couple of senior NCOs nearby as his head was aglow. Today that would probably be an Article 15 or NJP, a career-ender, but it wasn't back then (late 80s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 07:55 AM
 
3,779 posts, read 1,679,724 times
Reputation: 3024
I had a new pilot flying with us on a routine mission. I think we were to go deliver some parts to a smaller outpost. He was sitting up front in his co-pilots seat,The pilot {A/C} sitting next to him.I was making sure all my crap was in place in the back. The new pilot was looking at the map mumbling the name of the small out post we were flying to.........don't remember the name but it was Vietnamese........"Damn; I can't find this on the map".........With a straight face I said"Hell sir its right next to COW DUNG"...........Now he started mumbling cow dung over and over while looking at the map..........Pilot finally couldn't take it and started laughing...........Co-pilot looked at him,then me and the light came on........"chief, you SOB!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 AM
 
8,473 posts, read 6,918,176 times
Reputation: 11215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Maybe they were saving their ammo in case of attack? You know, they were in a war zone.
Also allowed them to silently kill the rats without giving away their position to the enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM
 
3,779 posts, read 1,679,724 times
Reputation: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
LOL. That is a riot. Nobody thought of just using an M60 machine gun? Joking of course. Thanks for your service over there.
As was mentioned,din't want to give away your position. but more than that the powers that were absolutely forbid wasting ammo on rats. that's why these guys sent for the pellet guns. Plus......it was more challenging than with an M-60..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 AM
 
342 posts, read 141,112 times
Reputation: 651
Long before Walkmans and iPods were invented, we would tune the ADF navigation receiver in our Huey to a AM radio station. This could be good or bad depending on if you liked Country or Rock music because the Aircraft Commander usually made the call as to station choice. If what he liked wasn't what you liked, the only thing you could do was unselect it from your intercom. And no, I never heard "Flight of the Valkyries" or "Fortunate Son" in my Huey as I was flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 AM
 
3,779 posts, read 1,679,724 times
Reputation: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Long before Walkmans and iPods were invented, we would tune the ADF navigation receiver in our Huey to a AM radio station. This could be good or bad depending on if you liked Country or Rock music because the Aircraft Commander usually made the call as to station choice. If what he liked wasn't what you liked, the only thing you could do was unselect it from your intercom. And no, I never heard "Flight of the Valkyries" or "Fortunate Son" in my Huey as I was flying.
one song heard while flying that i'll never forget............."we gotta get outta this place"

https://www.bing.com/search?q=the+an...&setlang=en-US

on my H model..........we could select to listen to the radio for the crew and not the pilots.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, N.M.
140 posts, read 67,737 times
Reputation: 327
My Army job, briefly, was playing bass in a rock band called Heavy Duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
12,917 posts, read 41,483,709 times
Reputation: 10657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
As an Air Liaison Officer with an Army armor BN, I was the senior USAF officer in the Tactical Air Control Party (TACP) during the unit's rotation at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin. I was a junior captain (O-3) and my fire support officer, an Army O-3, and I were going to prank his track driver, an E-4 Specialist who was a dead ringer for Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters, on his birthday. In the BN TOC he grabbed the driver's helmet while I cut the end of a chem stick off with a K-BAR, and drizzled a little of it on the top of the Kevlar pot, then put it back. We then went outside and waited, it was totally dark, only the stars provided any light. He walked out, put on his pot, and suddenly there were calls of "Hey, you, ya never heard of light discipline?" and "Damn, it's a f*****g ghost!" from a couple of senior NCOs nearby as his head was aglow. Today that would probably be an Article 15 or NJP, a career-ender, but it wasn't back then (late 80s).
And yet the big-wigs wonder why they are having trouble getting enough pilots anyway. News for them: The kind of people who *actually want* to fly military aircraft, like to have a little fun other ways too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top