U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:50 PM

11,643 posts, read 15,641,260 times

Advertisements

One of my summer jobs in the Air Force while we awaited the arrival of the F-111s to our base in NM from Nellis AFB was a lifeguard at the NCO and the officer's pools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 05:09 PM

5,472 posts, read 6,370,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I and many others threw that $2000 dollar fancy aluminum linked ammo "feed chute" away that was attached to our M-60's. Used a meat portion C-rats can instead. Worked better.
"Feed chute"??

I don't recall having one o' them on my '60. Is that something that only chopper gunners get?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:43 PM

5,702 posts, read 3,006,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Once had a guy busted down for running a black market on the ship. Prior to our 6 month deployment he bought many cartons of popular name brand cigarettes and stashed them in a special locker. When the ship’s store ran out of cigarettes he started selling those cigarettes by the pack for ridiculous prices. The guy wasn’t even a smoker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Never heard that being illegal to do. The only thing financially speaking illegal was to loan money at interest.

I don't know if the Navy made it illegal, but the Captain of a ship can certainly make it illegal. Or the captain may have had a policy against it and the guy was busted for disobeying a direct order. Remember Article 134.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 PM

4,006 posts, read 1,795,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
"Feed chute"??

I don't recall having one o' them on my '60. Is that something that only chopper gunners get?
Tried to find you a couple of pictures.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=13&ajaxhist=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=10&ajaxhist=0

first picture shows that "chute"..........it was a piece of sh*t. If a link broke you needed a couple of screw drivers to work the belt back up to the receiver,which took forever...........besides unclipping it from the ammo can and the 60. I had an ammo can with about 5000 rounds in it.......usually three or four separate belts.

second picture.........the c-rat can fit that clip perfectly and fed the belt better than the chute did..........

You grunts did not have any use for this chute...........Did you guys use a can or just feed your belts by hand......?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:02 PM

3,515 posts, read 6,631,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
In our Assault Helicopter Company we would heat our C-rats out in the field by holding the can with Channel Locks in the exhaust of our Huey as the engine was shut down. The timing was perfect as it would heat the food in a can without burning the hell out of it. This practice came to a end in our battalion when a newbie second lieutenant let a C-rat can roll down the exhaust into the turbine blades ruining the hot end of a engine. It was a expensive repair done out in the middle of nowhere.
You guys should have known a screwie looie should NEVER be given a pair of Channel Locks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Couple of guys on our base in nam sent home for pellet guns. There were always a bunch of rats at night under the perimeter lights looking for food. these guys would stay awake by shooting em during the night. I always what the postal workers thought of a combat soldier asking for a pellet gun in a war zone.......
They should have created a new marksmanship training badge for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Once had a guy busted down for running a black market on the ship. Prior to our 6 month deployment he bought many cartons of popular name brand cigarettes and stashed them in a special locker. When the ship’s store ran out of cigarettes he started selling those cigarettes by the pack for ridiculous prices. The guy wasn’t even a smoker.
Of course he didn't smoke! All smart drug pushers do NOT use the junk they peddle.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:34 PM

3,710 posts, read 2,831,441 times
On Marine embassy duty back in the 60's on night shift I would burn paper duplicates of classified information discarded during the day by embassy staff. We had a special incinerator in the basement built for the task. The smoke stack had a fine mesh filter so that not even a paper fragment would escape.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,760,687 times
Second deployment to Vietnam, the ceasefire had been signed, but the South hadn't fallen yet. We were there in a 'watchdog' role, and were allowed to visit many of the liberty ports in the Orient that we were not able to do in the previous deployment when the action was pretty intense and active.

First stop was Yokosuka where I purchase a "10-speed" road bicycle in the exchange. My duty station was in CIC, (Combat Information Center), and behind one of the raised status boards at the edge of the room was a large cavity under the rubber floor mat and aluminum plate. No wires or cables running under this spot.

I would store the bicycle in that cavity and whenever we hit a liberty port, and after everyone else went ashore on liberty, I would haul out my bike, put it back together, and take it to the quarterdeck and gangplank with a sharp salute and a "Permission to go ashore, sir." I was able to ride past the bars and dives into the countryside and see what the country and its people were really like.

I was often asked, "Where did you get that?", or "Where did you hide that?". Never said . . . and it was never found.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-23-2018, 08:51 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,263,402 times
Navy. 63 to 71:

*I served with John McCain's father on USS Pocono (AGC-16) in 65. I was enlisted and did not know him but I was always on the bridge where he was. I was terrified of him.
*I was temporarily assigned to a Colombian ship in 66.
*Temporarily assigned to a Filipino ship in 67.
*Took a wooden minesweeper (MSO-449) across the Pacific in 67. It took 45 days and we once took a 54 degree roll.
*Was once co-pilot of the world's largest hydrofoil, Plainview, AGEH-1. We went just shy of 50 knots in Puget Sound.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:55 PM

8,002 posts, read 5,184,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Navy. 63 to 71:

*I served with John McCain's father on USS Pocono (AGC-16) in 65. I was enlisted and did not know him but I was always on the bridge where he was. I was terrified of him.
*Took a wooden minesweeper (MSO-449) across the Pacific in 67. It took 45 days and we once took a 54 degree roll.
*Was once co-pilot of the world's largest hydrofoil, Plainview, AGEH-1. We went just shy of 50 knots in Puget Sound.
Sounds like plenty for a published autobiography. Do some research on self publishing on Amazon. People want to read about this stuff. Report back, sailor.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 PM

4,006 posts, read 1,795,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Navy. 63 to 71:

There is a lot going on there for just 5 sentences............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or