U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:17 PM

5,892 posts, read 3,164,394 times

Advertisements

When I was in the Marine Corps I was in communications electronics and worked on telephone switching systems. While I was stationed at Camp Lejeune I worked at the main telephone exchange in Bldg 1. Since I was the only single Marine and lived in the barracks right next door, I was always the one that got called for night time situations. One night the MPs were trying to track down a sexual harassment caller to the WM (Women Marine) barracks. So I went to the exchange and traced the call, but it terminated where the local civilian exchange tied into ours. I called my counterpart at the civilian exchange and asked if he could trace it on his end. He told me it was coming from a public phone on our base but didn't know which one. We had a card index of all the public phones on base and their location, but I had no way of knowing which phone it was, so I broke onto the line and identified myself as a base telephone technician and stated that we were having phone problems and could the person on the pay phone please give me the telephone number on the dial. The guy actually gave me the number! Once I had the number I was able to give the MPs his location and they went there and scooped him up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 PM

4,050 posts, read 1,842,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I was in the Marine Corps I was in communications electronics and worked on telephone switching systems. While I was stationed at Camp Lejeune I worked at the main telephone exchange in Bldg 1. Since I was the only single Marine and lived in the barracks right next door, I was always the one that got called for night time situations. One night the MPs were trying to track down a sexual harassment caller to the WM (Women Marine) barracks. So I went to the exchange and traced the call, but it terminated where the local civilian exchange tied into ours. I called my counterpart at the civilian exchange and asked if he could trace it on his end. He told me it was coming from a public phone on our base but didn't know which one. We had a card index of all the public phones on base and their location, but I had no way of knowing which phone it was, so I broke onto the line and identified myself as a base telephone technician and stated that we were having phone problems and could the person on the pay phone please give me the telephone number on the dial. The guy actually gave me the number! Once I had the number I was able to give the MPs his location and they went there and scooped him up.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:45 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,493,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I bet he was a brain surgeon in his next life.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 AM

8,007 posts, read 5,304,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I bet he was a brain surgeon in his next life.
Have you ever read how many criminals get caught by the police with a scam, "You have won tickets to Celtics Game?" They are not into crime because of a discriminating mind.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM

751 posts, read 216,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You guys should have known a screwie looie should NEVER be given a pair of Channel Locks!
He had heard us talking about heating our C-rats and decided to try it himself. Before we could show him how to do it, he took it upon himself to set the can on the lip of the exhaust. The can slid down the exhaust stack into the turbine blades. I don't know what disciplinary action was taken against him, but I do know he never was never made a Aircraft Commander and remained a Peter Pilot (copilot) for the rest of his time in our unit.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:40 PM

751 posts, read 216,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Tried to find you a couple of pictures.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=13&ajaxhist=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=10&ajaxhist=0

first picture shows that "chute"..........it was a piece of sh*t. If a link broke you needed a couple of screw drivers to work the belt back up to the receiver,which took forever...........besides unclipping it from the ammo can and the 60. I had an ammo can with about 5000 rounds in it.......usually three or four separate belts.

second picture.........the c-rat can fit that clip perfectly and fed the belt better than the chute did..........

You grunts did not have any use for this chute...........Did you guys use a can or just feed your belts by hand......?
Peacetime Huey Crew Chief here. 74-76. We only used the doorguns for Reforger76 and annual qualification. But here's the thing, the 101st in it's perverse way, only opened the aerial gunnery range in February for doorgunner quals. We would be back there in the gunners pocket freezing our a** off. No real training, as me and my buddies fired off the rounds as fast as we could so so we could close the doors. My last year there a pilot asked me if I would swap places with him. " Hell yes, knock yourself out Sir!".

Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 AM

good thread.

While in Vietnam and a member of an asslt helo company,there were a lot of "occupation specific" topics.
I went back to my hooch one day and a guy from another barracks was in our room, with a friend of mine.
This guy was jumping into the air as far as he could and when he landed on his feet again would flex his knees.............I said "what the hell are you doing?".........He replied "I'm practicing jumping;I figure if we get shot down and are just about to crash;if I time jumping into the air just as we hit the ground,it will keep me from being hurt as bad......."

Old 03-01-2018, 05:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 7,353,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
good thread.

While in Vietnam and a member of an asslt helo company,there were a lot of "occupation specific" topics.
I went back to my hooch one day and a guy from another barracks was in our room, with a friend of mine.
This guy was jumping into the air as far as he could and when he landed on his feet again would flex his knees.............I said "what the hell are you doing?".........He replied "I'm practicing jumping;I figure if we get shot down and are just about to crash;if I time jumping into the air just as we hit the ground,it will keep me from being hurt as bad......."
And did he think he was in a Bugs Bunny cartoon?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And did he think he was in a Bugs Bunny cartoon?
no... To be blunt he was to say the least maybe somewhat "mentally challenged" also sometimes you just had to hold onto some way to make your survival seem more likely. No matter how silly it may seem.. if it made you feel better...........

Old 03-02-2018, 02:25 AM

43 posts, read 14,996 times
Patrolled with a female for 2 consecutive 12 hour shifts. The second day we ended having sex in the patrol car. It was nothing spectacular from both of us, except bragging rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or