Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 02:18 AM

679 posts, read 812,320 times

Advertisements

Buffing barracks floor with fuzzy toilet lid covers, washing and painting rocks come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 03:35 AM

745 posts, read 480,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Maybe they were saving their ammo in case of attack? You know, they were in a war zone.
Really? I didn't know that. Thank you for enlightening me.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:45 AM

745 posts, read 480,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
As was mentioned,din't want to give away your position. but more than that the powers that were absolutely forbid wasting ammo on rats. that's why these guys sent for the pellet guns. Plus......it was more challenging than with an M-60..............
Oh I can believe that. I'm a former 11C (peacetime - post-Vietnam service). I feel I had the benefit of the NCOs and officers who served there leading me when I was a private. They used to tell me ways they had a little fun, when they could.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:23 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
As a military wife in Boeblingen German, I washed my husband's fatigues in the bathtub, (after heating water in a wood heated water heater) dried them by hanging them in the basement.

That was pretty weird for a city girl, believe me!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:10 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Coming home from Korea, I went thru two short arm inspections in one week. Once prior to getting on the ship and once prior to being assigned to KP for the 16 day cruise.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
As an NCO on a phone watch while in the navy took a call from an officer that I recognized by voice and didn't care for. So answered his question by saying "yes, sir or madam as the case may be" just as the notation on the phone said to do. Was visited by the Officer of the Day about 15 minutes later. He was about cracking up but did say he had to tell me that it was my duty to figure out if the caller was male or female. Then he congratulated me for putting down that idiot in a way that couldn't be construed as disrespectful.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:39 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
first picture shows that "chute"..........it was a piece of sh*t. If a link broke you needed a couple of screw drivers to work the belt back up to the receiver,which took forever...........besides unclipping it from the ammo can and the 60. I had an ammo can with about 5000 rounds in it.......usually three or four separate belts.

second picture.........the c-rat can fit that clip perfectly and fed the belt better than the chute did..........

You grunts did not have any use for this chute...........Did you guys use a can or just feed your belts by hand......?
Thanks for the pics...nice bit of 'field expediency' with that C-Rat fix.

Fed by hand, no can. When we dropped in I'd hop off the skid with belts draped around my neck. Dumbest thing was...not only am I a lefty, but I'd already lost my right eye...wish I'd known about the C-Rat can trick, might have made things better.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:01 PM

220 posts, read 145,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some Marines figured out they could sit a can of beens or ravioli on the remaining insulation next to the steam pipe to heat their meal. Good idea if they’d remembered to pop the lid first. Fans of beans exploded over their fresh clean sheets.
As an Army vet who understands Marine mentality, I won't make any cracks!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:37 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Coming home from Korea, I went thru two short arm inspections in one week. Once prior to getting on the ship and once prior to being assigned to KP for the 16 day cruise.
That is a comforting thought.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
As an Army vet who understands Marine mentality, I won't make any cracks!
Semper Fidelis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues