U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM

1,685 posts, read 663,730 times

Advertisements

My brother(now deceased) was a Loadmaster and traveled the world. I forget all the stops but Iceland, Japan, Germany, Thailand all come to mind. He was in areas of South East Asia during the Vietnam war where no forces were supposed to be. Officially, that is. He stayed in the Air Force for I believe 24 years before being discharged for medical reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 PM

180 posts, read 326,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
So crew chiefs on heavies tend to fly/travel more than crew chiefs on fighters? Also, open question to all, what bases are cre chiefs limited to?
I can't speak for tankers, but cargo aircraft usually take a flying crew chief on missions, so there will be many opportunities for travel. Active duty cargo aircraft are permanently based at Elmendorf (AK), Hickam (HI), McChord (WA), Travis (CA), Altus (OK), Dyess (TX), Little Rock (AR), McGuire (NJ), Dover (DE), Charleston (SC), as well as overseas at Kadena AB Japan and Ramstein AB Germany, plus probably others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 PM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
I can't speak for tankers, but cargo aircraft usually take a flying crew chief on missions, so there will be many opportunities for travel. Active duty cargo aircraft are permanently based at Elmendorf (AK), Hickam (HI), McChord (WA), Travis (CA), Altus (OK), Dyess (TX), Little Rock (AR), McGuire (NJ), Dover (DE), Charleston (SC), as well as overseas at Kadena AB Japan and Ramstein AB Germany, plus probably others that I can't recall off the top of my head.
What grades are crew chiefs in those cases?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 PM

180 posts, read 326,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What grades are crew chiefs in those cases?
As I recall, usually E-3 and E-4, occasionally E-5.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
As I recall, usually E-3 and E-4, occasionally E-5.
For fighters, yeah, I've been in a fighter squadron, but what about the heavies?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 PM

30 posts, read 21,695 times
What electrical careers travel often?

Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 AM

118 posts, read 168,473 times
If you want to travel, definitely try for a heavy aircraft.....C-130, C-17.....C-5 if you wanna be hard broke all the time haha. I just hit the retirement button yesterday, will have 21 years of the hardest job you'll ever love.....F-15, F-22, and F-16 crew chief. We would travel for TDYs, deployments, and maintenance response teams, but you will definitely travel more with heavies. I'm currently a flight chief for the heavy crew chief instructors at SAFB and I hear all the stories from them about all the travels they have taken. Definitely try and travel as much as you can....that will be my one regret from my 20+ years....didn't take the opportunity to travel more.

Aaron

Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
Definitely try and travel as much as you can....that will be my one regret from my 20+ years....didn't take the opportunity to travel more.
This is definitely true, although it's clearly not a problem for the OP. But there are so many guys who join the military with an idea of trying to stay near home.

Bad idea. First, it's the opposite of what the military intends. Second, that misses out on one of the best life-long opportunities of the military--to learn that the world is not like your home town.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:01 AM

3,192 posts, read 4,232,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is definitely true, although it's clearly not a problem for the OP. But there are so many guys who join the military with an idea of trying to stay near home.

Bad idea. First, it's the opposite of what the military intends. Second, that misses out on one of the best life-long opportunities of the military--to learn that the world is not like your home town.
I second this.

I got to see so many places because of the Army.

OP,

Good thing you're going to be AF, they have the best bases. Army gets Fort Polk and the National Training Center. That's where souls go to die...

Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 PM

10,374 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Won't find any C-5s to travel on. I think there are2still at Dover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues