U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2018, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,677 posts, read 4,484,659 times
Reputation: 5943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Here's a list of a few overseas US bases.

Best Overseas Military Base Towns, Ranked - Thrillist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Thanks... Been to seven of their ten. But I was Army, and now retired.
Same here. Love the descriptions and the reasons.

On number 6 Yongsan Seoul South Korea. That was my first duty station out of AIT in 1976. I was soooooo lucky. That year 1976 two officers were axed to death by North Korean soldiers I believe in late July or early August. I was given my travel orders not long after that. But my assignment ended up being in Yongsan where I had the time of my life and met my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 PM
 
30 posts, read 21,695 times
Reputation: 60
I just got word that Iím leaving in December for BMT. Going in open electrical. Can anyone recommend great electronic AFSCs that travel often, fly often & available at many bases. Also has to be secret clearance max. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2018, 07:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Reputation: 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
I just got word that Iím leaving in December for BMT. Going in open electrical. Can anyone recommend great electronic AFSCs that travel often, fly often & available at many bases. Also has to be secret clearance max. Thanks in advance.
The secret clearance is what is going to give you a difficulty with getting the job you want. I would highly recommend any avionics jobs, but you will need a top secret for most of those. If you can't get a TS because of a waivers, that will change after your first enlistment. Just get whatever you can and retrain later. Most electronics jobs are really cool and technical, and travel a lot, but avionics would have the most travel. Some of the avionics jobs may be open to you, just not the newer fighter jet. Congrats and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM
 
30 posts, read 21,695 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
The secret clearance is what is going to give you a difficulty with getting the job you want. I would highly recommend any avionics jobs, but you will need a top secret for most of those. If you can't get a TS because of a waivers, that will change after your first enlistment. Just get whatever you can and retrain later. Most electronics jobs are really cool and technical, and travel a lot, but avionics would have the most travel. Some of the avionics jobs may be open to you, just not the newer fighter jet. Congrats and good luck!
Thanks for the insight. My ideal career is Loadmaster, would I be able to crosstrain with any job in the electronics field? Also, by travel do you mean they will be flying often or that they are available at many bases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2018, 11:38 AM
 
30 posts, read 21,695 times
Reputation: 60
Also, does have a moral waiver when enlisting restrict your option of bases? I’ve heard that by coming in with a waiver, that my first duty station will not be overseas? Any truth to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Reputation: 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Also, does have a moral waiver when enlisting restrict your option of bases? Iíve heard that by coming in with a waiver, that my first duty station will not be overseas? Any truth to that?
That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Your waiver has ZERO impact on what bases you can get stationed at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top