U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 02:36 AM

2 posts, read 495 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
The title is not PC, but it got you here. Thanks in advance, who has a solution?

SITREP:
o 14 years of service
o IRR Officer
o Joining National Guard (attempt)
o Denied by MEPS Dr for eyes
o DQ'd for "Unstable post PRK refraction (means my eyes are getting bad) back from a 2010 PRK surgery
o vision: MAYBE 20/25 on a bad day, 20/20 otherwise
o Correctable to 20/20
o I am NOT aircrew
o 100% Fully qualified otherwise, stellar service record to boot

Yep, fully willing to go congressional or legal, but prefer to simply finish out my service without the BS.

Team, your input is much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 AM

9,164 posts, read 15,161,655 times
Corrected vision is only a part of the vision requirement. I believe they also look at diopters (and maybe refraction?). I may be off on the medical terms, but I know for a fact that the corrected vision part is just one part of the vision exam. I would go to a private ophthalmologist and see if they come to the same conclusion. I don't see how you can do anything but ask for a waiver and, I presume, an independent exam or two stating the MEPS doctor is mistaken, would count in your favor.

No one cares about congressional or legal threats. As long as the folks at MEPS are operating within regs, that stuff is just a bunch of hot air.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 AM

3,088 posts, read 8,885,017 times
You won't get anywhere with a Congressional compliant.

DODI 6130.03 says you are disqualified from service after PRK if:
"e) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by at least two separate refractions at least 1 month apart, with initial refraction at least 90 days post-procedure, and the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.50 diopters for cylinder vision."

You said that you're sometimes 20/25, and sometimes 20/20... that's literally the definition of unstable. Your vision shouldn't change daily. Stable means your vision is consistent. The difference between 20/20 and 20/25 is only .25 diopters so that technically shouldn't disqualify but it still might have to go to the SG for waiver. If you ever read 20/30, that's a .50 difference from 20/20 and would constitute you legitimately being disqualified.

Bottom line, it's not normal for your vision to change on a daily basis. If it is happening, it could be from dry eyes as a result of the surgery. However, DODI 6130.03 also disqualifies you from post-PRK service if you need eye drops... so there's that.

What is your 90 day post op refraction, and then your two refraction's that are at least 1 month apart? As evidenced by the medical documents you provided to MEPS?

If you DO meet these requirements and you can PROVE you do, then you will get an SG waiver from your respective service branch. MEPS can DQ for sneezing, but the SG will overturn it if you meet those qualifications above.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebags2018 View Post
Greetings,

o DQ'd for "Unstable post PRK refraction (means my eyes are getting bad) back from a 2010 PRK surgery
To further clarify:

Actually, that's not what it means. Your eyes getting bad again is called "Regression" and that is not a DQ.

Your eye being unstable means that sometimes you see 20/20, sometimes you see 20/30, maybe sometimes you see 15/20, etc. Unstable means your eyes don't have the exact same prescription on a daily basis. You need to prove that in the course of 1 month, your vision/RX/diopters stay the same.

You either have 1. Failed to prove that by not providing documents that show 90 days post PRK diopters, and at least two subsequent tests 1 month apart, or 2. You provided documents that actually showed varying readings over those time-frames thereby causing your disqualification, or 3. You took a vision test at MEPS and it showed a different diopter reading than the last eye exam you provided, thereby showing instability.

You need to prove that your eyes are stable over a 30 day period, and you've just admitted they change on good days or bad days. Your DQ sounds legit to me.... sorry.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 495 times
Joe & Marie, thank you for taking the time.

Any opinion of mine is just that, including my perceived "good day / bad day refraction ". As you suggest, I shall indeed seek a 30-90 day private medical evaluation, and / or SG waiver. I will update the end result.

Will only escalate if warranted by a separate medical professional's findings and lack of cooperation from MEPs, in which the lead Physician will care when required to respond to inquiry, that's never fun. In that case (for those reading this) here are some options: IG (if currently a service member), Congressional Inquiry, or Medical Malpractice Counsel. If nobody entertains the case, it's because you don't have one.

But hey, hope for best, plan for worst.

Thanks again for the expert feedback folks, good stuff.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:00 AM

I highly expect you will get an SG waiver with the small amount of instability you have. Your records should actually already be at the SG because it's usually automatic. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues