Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

I thought this was really cool:
Navy to Commission New Guided-Missile Destroyer Ralph Johnson

19yr old Medal of Honor winner in Vietnam.

RIP PFC Ralph Johnson! Thanks for your service and sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I thought I had read about that earlier... But thanks for posting. And my

R.I.P. and my prayers to Marine Ralph H. Johnson.

An earlier article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ralph_Johnson "Marine Ralph H. Johnson, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for shielding two fellow Marines from a grenade in March 1968 during the Vietnam War."

Old 03-27-2018, 07:58 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
A fitting tribute.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:10 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I would name all ships for MOH winners, if it was up to me. Carriers named for Lincoln and Roosevelt the Great are OK, but, why name a carrier for Gerald Ford (!) when you could have named it for Joe Foss, who was actually a Naval (Marine) Aviator...seems much more fitting.

May the people who serve on the Johnson, be inspired to live up to his example!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:46 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I would name all ships for MOH winners, if it was up to me. Carriers named for Lincoln and Roosevelt the Great are OK, but, why name a carrier for Gerald Ford (!) when you could have named it for Joe Foss, who was actually a Naval (Marine) Aviator...seems much more fitting.

Totally agree,all MOH and no elected politicans,especially if they never served.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Ford was a Naval officer. Served as on the light carrier, Monterey, in the Pacific Fleet during WWII and earned the rank of Lieutenant Commander by the end of the war. Saw some action. After the war, he was attached to the inactive Naval Reserve until 1963.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-30-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:
The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force which can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the Armed Services of the United States. Only 3,497 Recipients in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard have been awarded this acknowledgement of extraordinary achievement in military service.

From: https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...-entire-fleet/
Quote:
The United States Navy is a powerhouse. The fleet consists of roughly 430 ships in active service or reserve.
We don't have enough "ships" to honor all "MOH winners".

I am retired U.S. Army. Under normal circunstances, I believe my family would be insulted if I were awarded a medal under your reccomendations...

Old 04-02-2018, 05:59 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I just think naming a carrier for Joe Foss - naval aviator and MOH winner - is more appropriate than Gerald Ford, (I forgot he was in the Navy) - he was not a particularly important president (like Lincoln or T. Roosevelt) and not sure he did much out of the ordinary during his hitch in the Navy.

Realize there are not enough MOH winners to name every ship - all the more reason to name a ship for each MOH winner (at least Navy and Marine winners). Maybe an air base or fort for AF or Army MOH winners.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Realize there are not enough MOH winners to name every ship
Yes there is...

Newest Navy Destroyer Named for Marine PFC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues