U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,150,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
that's................ that's.................

nah. too easy.
Itís hilarious. But itís true, and sometimes done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:43 PM

34,635 posts, read 37,010,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - we had Seabees in Kuwait.
Yep...but it isn't just the Seabees. Intel units, IT/satellite coms personnel, hospital corpsmen, etc. are some others.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:50 PM

4,895 posts, read 3,745,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep...but it isn't just the Seabees. Intel units, IT/satellite coms personnel, hospital corpsmen, etc. are some others.
I was amazed at how efficient they were and how quickly they had things set up. We went from a sleepy dusty encampment to a bustling ready to go camp.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 PM

639 posts, read 226,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
My husband and I are both enlisted.
We make $130K a year due to our enlistments, and will each retire in our 30s and get paid forever
We have free healthcare for our families which means we can take our children for specialty and preventative care that others can't always afford
We have them in excellent private schools
We have 2 GI Bills that will pay for their college and provide them with a living stipend in college. Free college for both kids!
We have a great roof over our heads and reliable safe cars, and we can pay for sports, clothing, birthday parties, pets, trips to the zoo, vacations, and everything that makes a childhood great
I only work 35 hours a week, and my husband 40 hours- this is less than many people work in blue or white collar jobs
I have a totally flexible schedule and often have lunch with my children at their school
I never work evenings or weekends like many minimum wage working parents have to do
I could not imagine providing a better life, full of more opportunities for my children
I have set an example that a woman can work and take care of herself, and doesn't have to rely on a man or government assistance. I want my children to have this example.
My husband and I have both earned free degrees, so we are educated, and this has been proven to result in more successful children
I've been separated from my children for no more than 6 weeks, but in that time they were in their home, with their father
Of course this would be more difficult if I was a single a mom, but many people make that work

This is still better than most single moms have it. Many single moms are working two or three jobs, barely have health insurance, have no college funds for their kids, section 8 housing and food stamps, food insecurity, financial insecurity, and still have to have babysitters for nights and weekends. The life I have provided by joining the military at 18 is WAY better than the life that many single moms are able to provide. Many single moms aren't able to finish college due to childcare and expenses, many need public assistance, many don't have safe/reliable cars, many struggle desperately with stress. The military provides great financial security, free college for children, free health insurance for kids that is far better than what most families have, free education for mom/dad, advancements and pay raises, and free housing, and so much more.

Why would a single parent choose to struggle through life working multiple jobs, struggling to buy groceries, avoiding routine medical care due to costs, and not having a way to pay for their kids college when there is a solution like military service?
100% and thank you for your service.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM

9,363 posts, read 17,081,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
My husband and I are both enlisted.
We make $130K a year due to our enlistments, and will each retire in our 30s and get paid forever
We have free healthcare for our families which means we can take our children for specialty and preventative care that others can't always afford
We have them in excellent private schools
We have 2 GI Bills that will pay for their college and provide them with a living stipend in college. Free college for both kids!
We have a great roof over our heads and reliable safe cars, and we can pay for sports, clothing, birthday parties, pets, trips to the zoo, vacations, and everything that makes a childhood great
I only work 35 hours a week, and my husband 40 hours- this is less than many people work in blue or white collar jobs
I have a totally flexible schedule and often have lunch with my children at their school
I never work evenings or weekends like many minimum wage working parents have to do
I could not imagine providing a better life, full of more opportunities for my children
I have set an example that a woman can work and take care of herself, and doesn't have to rely on a man or government assistance. I want my children to have this example.
My husband and I have both earned free degrees, so we are educated, and this has been proven to result in more successful children
I've been separated from my children for no more than 6 weeks, but in that time they were in their home, with their father
Of course this would be more difficult if I was a single a mom, but many people make that work

This is still better than most single moms have it. Many single moms are working two or three jobs, barely have health insurance, have no college funds for their kids, section 8 housing and food stamps, food insecurity, financial insecurity, and still have to have babysitters for nights and weekends. The life I have provided by joining the military at 18 is WAY better than the life that many single moms are able to provide. Many single moms aren't able to finish college due to childcare and expenses, many need public assistance, many don't have safe/reliable cars, many struggle desperately with stress. The military provides great financial security, free college for children, free health insurance for kids that is far better than what most families have, free education for mom/dad, advancements and pay raises, and free housing, and so much more.

Why would a single parent choose to struggle through life working multiple jobs, struggling to buy groceries, avoiding routine medical care due to costs, and not having a way to pay for their kids college when there is a solution like military service?
The military is not for everyone. The AF is the most difficult branch to enlist in (I tried them first). Combat arms jobs in the military are tough with long hours & long deployments. You & your husband played your cards right but many don't. I knew a sgt that was married with 5 kids & 10 yrs army service & wanted out of the service. He had free off post housing, etc but said he just didn't make enough money. He did get his wish & he moved back to his home town & in with his parents. I now wonder what came of him but this was years ago. Yrs ago I knew a man that joined the AF but was discharged because he was stupidly caught with a weapon in the barricks @ his regular duty station. He totally regretted that & his life was not good afterwards. He loved the AF.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:41 AM

16,288 posts, read 8,736,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The military is not for everyone. The AF is the most difficult branch to enlist in (I tried them first). Combat arms jobs in the military are tough with long hours & long deployments. You & your husband played your cards right but many don't. I knew a sgt that was married with 5 kids & 10 yrs army service & wanted out of the service. He had free off post housing, etc but said he just didn't make enough money. He did get his wish & he moved back to his home town & in with his parents. I now wonder what came of him but this was years ago. Yrs ago I knew a man that joined the AF but was discharged because he was stupidly caught with a weapon in the barricks @ his regular duty station. He totally regretted that & his life was not good afterwards. He loved the AF.
This is off-topic, but I love to tell it:

Back in my early days, one of my buddies was a Cajun kid from a small river town in Louisiana. He absolutely loved the Air Force. He was happy every day he came to work.

He told me that in his home town, there was only one primary company that nearly everyone worked for. At that company, there were two kinds of jobs: The upper level people had "indoor jobs," and the lower level people had "outdoor jobs."

His father, grandfather, and uncles had all had "outdoor jobs" as dockyard stevedores. All his life, he'd watched his father drag home from work dead exhausted, eat, and pass out on the sofa.

All his life, he had thought that would be his future.

Then when he was a senior in high school, he went with some friends to Baton Rouge and wound up at the recruiting station. He took the tests, scored high, and wound up in Air Force intelligence.

So there he was sitting in an air-conditioned office, wearing a shirt and tie, working at a computer. He was the first person in his family to have an "indoor job." His mother could tell her friends, "My son has an indoor job."

He was all right with his world.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM

101 posts, read 41,169 times
good story. really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or