Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Whatever the reason(s)the fact is that for children the most important thing is for their parents to be with them. What good is "quality healthcare" if the parents are not there when the child is sick anyway? And it's not just the children affected, the stress on the single parent increases due to having to be away. People very often make choices that seem to be good at the time but they probably have no idea of the future consequences. Here's a study I found about the impact of militarylife on children in single-parent military families, it was apparently not a very in-depth study nor long term but still shows some considerable effect on the children and their relationship with the absent parent.
It is no secret anywhere that long-term and/or frequent parental absences of all kinds have an impact on children developmentally, particularly in the areas of attachment.

That doesn't really make the military and its fairly generous benefits any less attractive an option for single parents who have a viable caregiver option.

I also agree with the posters who find it interesting that the focus on this thread is on single mothers, versus single fathers. In my time working with services for military children and families, I've seen many, many more single fathers deploying than single mothers, although I've worked with many single parents across genders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 AM

6,431 posts, read 9,769,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Nope....not an Air Force thing. I can see maybe on a Navy ship, but I won’t even go there.....lol

One of the ships I was on in the 80's would have condoms free for the taking when we were in an overseas port. They wouldn't be available all the time though or when we were in home port.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
umm...not in any desert deployment.
Untrue, at least across the board.

Also, Navy has desert deployments, as well. My spouse did. Not all sailors serve on ships.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
One of the ships I was on in the 80's would have condoms free for the taking when we were in an overseas port. They wouldn't be available all the time though or when we were in home port.
Still are.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:10 AM

601 posts, read 455,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
This happened more than once in the 10 years of the Iraq occupation.
Yes, the pregnancy I heard about was in a neighboring unit in 2004 I think. In later years I read about married couples being allowed to share tents in some places - obviously pregnancy not 'authorized' but I wonder if penalties were still severe.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Yes, the pregnancy I heard about was in a neighboring unit in 2004 I think. In later years I read about married couples being allowed to share tents in some places - obviously pregnancy not 'authorized' but I wonder if penalties were still severe.
It all depended upon the individuals involved, the commander of the unit. I know in our unit individuals were given company grade article 15's for the situation with one person getting an additional punishment field grade for falsifying a leave slip (signing the commander's name on a leave form). He was very lucky that he wasn't court martialed. If I were the commander or the 1SG I would have recommended that punishment.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:42 PM

12,053 posts, read 10,226,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Untrue, at least across the board.

Also, Navy has desert deployments, as well. My spouse did. Not all sailors serve on ships.
yes - we had Seabees in Kuwait.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 PM

12,053 posts, read 10,226,066 times
we had a husband and wife join our unit during the build-up in 2002. She turned out to be pregnant and had to be sent back. Not sure why they didn't catch it before she deployed. But then we also had a pregnant female in basic training.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:32 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,329,712 times
(Unlubricated) condoms, secured by a rubber band, help keep dust out of barrels and don’t affect accuracy on the first shot. I can totally see a combat arms unit using them on a primitive FOB.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:52 PM

362 posts, read 346,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
condoms, secured by a rubber band, help keep dust out of barrels and don’t affect accuracy on the first shot.

that's................ that's.................

nah. too easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues