U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 05:34 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,570,110 times

Advertisements

The AF sure is a lot different then the army. I was lied to about my mos. I told my army recruiter I wanted to work in construction & learn a trade. He said "I have the perfect job for you". It was combat engineer. UGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 06:09 PM

4,150 posts, read 985,847 times
How can people fall asleep in the hearing booth? It takes like 4 minutes to complete and by the time you get there, you're in full alert from the other tests you had to do

MEPS isn't some joke you just blow off. It decides if the military even wants you or what job you qualify for. I did MEPS/ASVAB/etc and still had to wait 6-8 months in the DEP just to ship to basic.

Back on topic, if the woman in the OP doesn't like her contract, try to find a new recruiter. Air Force recruiters are the WORST and must constantly be contacted to get the ball rolling and check the progress of your recruitment. Must be easy when you can sit there and wait for the endless number of potential recruits to roll in.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:10 AM

3,121 posts, read 9,094,595 times
Rocko,
Finding a different recruiter won't work. She'll likely be turned away. When we give someone a contract and they back out, we get in trouble and it follows us our whole career. There is a counter of how many people we have back out, and the stat is tracked for eternity. A new recruiter will likely refuse to work with her after she refuses a contract, because no one wants to risk her refusing another contract. Especially when the MOST LIKELY result is that she will end up with exactly the same contract.

If she were my applicant and she refused the contract, I would tell her good luck joining the Army, and it's truly unlikely that any other Air Force recruiter would touch her with a ten foot poll. I did that with an applicant this past fall who refused to take a general aptitude contract- discharged him from the DEP. He went to several other recruiters in the region, and they all refused to work with him claiming the "best interest of the Air Force" to turn away the overly picky applicant. I don't know what happened to him, but he didn't join. All recruiters have the same rule- they won't work with you if you aren't willing to take an aptitude area since nearly 40% of our contracts are aptitude areas.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 AM

342 posts, read 98,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Rocko,
Finding a different recruiter won't work. She'll likely be turned away. When we give someone a contract and they back out, we get in trouble and it follows us our whole career. There is a counter of how many people we have back out, and the stat is tracked for eternity. A new recruiter will likely refuse to work with her after she refuses a contract, because no one wants to risk her refusing another contract. Especially when the MOST LIKELY result is that she will end up with exactly the same contract.

If she were my applicant and she refused the contract, I would tell her good luck joining the Army, and it's truly unlikely that any other Air Force recruiter would touch her with a ten foot poll. I did that with an applicant this past fall who refused to take a general aptitude contract- discharged him from the DEP. He went to several other recruiters in the region, and they all refused to work with him claiming the "best interest of the Air Force" to turn away the overly picky applicant. I don't know what happened to him, but he didn't join. All recruiters have the same rule- they won't work with you if you aren't willing to take an aptitude area since nearly 40% of our contracts are aptitude areas.

His high up boss was contacted, come to find out he didnt do any of the proper procedures, didnt go over any of the proper paperwork and wasn't even having her get the basic guides to learn and prepare or even small things like the list to go to basic with.

The high up guy contacted her and was on phone for like 2 hours, told her everything, went over all scores/hearing/possibilities and word for word explained everything you said in your paragraph Dmarie. He also said she will be redoing all the phyiscals/hearing down there so if she wants law enforcement, go as the open general and probably get one of those jobs she wants. Its better than waiting around waiting for a slot to open that she may not really want.

The advice was much appreciated and she said thank you. Fact is, the recruiter is a crap head, told her what she wanted to hear and was actually lying to her. I guess hes had several other recruits complaining as well recently and who knows if he gets talked too, but he said hes going to be doing something.

Thanks again! she leaves next week and shes excited now that all her questions and concerns was completely answered. I personally didnt have bad experiences with recruiting, I went in and got 45k bonus for 3 year infantry contract, didnt speak to him more than a few minutes lol. But army is different.

As for the hearing booth I don't know about you guys, but it took more than 4 minutes, and every time ive ever had a hearing test ive always been ran dogged tired beforehand from lack of sleep and in a hot booth, with like no sleep literally hard to remain focus or even know if I hear things or not.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:52 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,570,110 times
Lets just hope the teen doesn't snooze while on duty. I knew a sgt (E-5) who got busted sleeping on duty in the barricks. He got a article 15 & reduced to sp4. He got lucky because he could of been busted to pvt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues