U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2018, 10:06 AM
 
217 posts, read 63,856 times
Reputation: 377

Advertisements

I have a friend who signed up for the airforce, went thru all of the MEPS processing etc, she didnt do well on her hearing test, she thinks she fell asleep and missed a few of the audible beeps which excluded her from MP in which she wanted. Her recruiter shes been with for 6 months, she went to MEPS and signed 8 jobs that she wanted, she did not pick any "open general" as an option to ship out as.

Low and behold he contacts her and said "I got you a job, and I cant tell you what it is yet" "its the job you want, but I cant tell you yet, but you leave April 10" etc etc. He refused to tell her what it was until a family member contacted him and he told the family member he signed her up as "open general" and shipping her out in 2 weeks. Without her permission. Her dad was a msgt so he was mad and kind of flipped out on him. The guy really made it sound like he needed to send someone out so just kind of changed her stuff to get a number honestly. Which I think is foul, especially trying to tell her its the job you want, ie. lying to her directly. but anyway

The problem is, she did not want open general at all, part of her wants to go and hoping she can get a job she wants down there since she cant get MP from the get go, other part of her is pissed that he didnt wait to get her a job that she would want to ship out as instead of going not knowing. What is her best choice to do? pull out and get a new recruiter?

How likely is it that she can get a job that she wants down there? Is it possible to get them to redo hearing test now or at basic? her asvab was 83 smart girl. here are a few of the jobs she wanted, what the likeliness she could get these going general "MP/K9 handler", "Nutritionalist", "CID/crime investigation stuff", "physical rehabilitation", "Paralegal", "Pharmacy", "safety maitenance", "services" (services being very last Lol, like last resort)


So whats the likeliness she would get a job she wanted going down as Open general? Should she pull out and get a new recruiter and try and get a job now before she ships? She really wants k9, she was told by him that they "can retest hearing" down there, and open her up for k9/military cop but she doesn't believe him now since hes continually lied to her.

Thank you for any advice! she has til April 10 to decide, so fast answers are appreciated, also if anyone has experience with those jobs can you shed light on if you liked or hated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,087 posts, read 8,876,435 times
Reputation: 4461
You're not getting the whole story. Applicants aren't allowed to take the oath and swear-in if they don't list at least 1 aptitude area (open general, open electric, open mechanical, or open admin). She had to have listed at least 1 of them and it was probably general, as that's the most common. With her hearing, she would not have qualified for mechanical or electric. She probably listed it and now that dad is mad, she's blaming the recruiter.

40% of our contracts are for aptitude areas, which is why all applicants have to list one. Some squadrons make them list 2 or they don't get to join. She is likely confused. She may have listed one at MEPS and not realized it.

We also don't call them "open" anymore and I used that term above to prevent confusion. We called them "General Aptitude Area" so it's possible at MEPS they said "Aptitude area" and then dad or recruiter used the old term "Open" and she's confused. When she listed an aptitude area at MEPS she may not have realized it was the same as "open"

She can't get a new contract if she actually listed General Aptitude Area (open general) as they will kick her out of the DEP if she refuses to take the contract. If she TRULY didn't list it, what the recruiter did was illegal and she could probably get another contract. It's illegal for us to book an applicant a job that they didn't list, but chances are she listed it and just didn't realize. If she didn't list general, did she list admin or electric? She listed an aptitude area or wouldn't have been allowed to swear-in.

I can't provide a good enough answer here without knowing her 8 job choices. If they were intel, medical, computers, then General Aptitude (open general) is a GREAT CHOICE because that's where those jobs reside and 80% of people with an aptitude area end up with one of their top 4 job choices so it's a great choice. 60% of all medical jobs are reserved for people with general aptitude contracts so it's a great choice if she wants medical.

She can't get MP/K9 handler because of her hear hearing, even with the aptitude area.
Nutritionalist requires a graduate degree and license as a nutritionist. If you mean Diet Therapy Technician than the ONLY way to get this is open general, because we don't generally guarantee that job, it's reserved for people already in basic with an open contract. She can't get CID (We call it OSI) until she is an E-4- the job is retraining only. Physical therapy tech, majority are reserved for BMT/General Aptitude. Paralegal, NEVER guaranteed ever, never, never, and is 100% reserved for General aptitude contracts, safety I'm honestly not sure about, and services is given out usually in the general aptitude area with very few contracts. The best way to get any of these jobs (except Safety I'm not sure about) is to go in with an aptitude area. These are all jobs that are rarely guaranteed.
A new recruiter won't help her get those jobs guaranteed, and the most likely result is that she will end up with a General Contract AGAIN with the next recruiter because she isn't likely to be able to get any of those jobs guaranteed.

Good luck!

Last edited by dmarie123; 04-02-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
5,105 posts, read 2,675,194 times
Reputation: 10015
So this person couldn't be bothered to come to MEPS well rested and fully prepared?! The Air Force is better off without her being on duty some night in a war zone and falling asleep while the enemy is attempting to infiltrate. I'm guessing that MP (Security Forces, actually) slot went to someone who was more on the ball and did come to MEPS fully rested and well prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 11:36 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,087 posts, read 8,876,435 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So this person couldn't be bothered to come to MEPS well rested and fully prepared?! The Air Force is better off without her being on duty some night in a war zone and falling asleep while the enemy is attempting to infiltrate. I'm guessing that MP (Security Forces, actually) slot went to someone who was more on the ball and did come to MEPS fully rested and well prepared.
You can get court maritaled if you fall asleep on duty as an MP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 01:17 PM
 
217 posts, read 63,856 times
Reputation: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You're not getting the whole story. Applicants aren't allowed to take the oath and swear-in if they don't list at least 1 aptitude area (open general, open electric, open mechanical, or open admin). She had to have listed at least 1 of them and it was probably general, as that's the most common. With her hearing, she would not have qualified for mechanical or electric. She probably listed it and now that dad is mad, she's blaming the recruiter.

40% of our contracts are for aptitude areas, which is why all applicants have to list one. Some squadrons make them list 2 or they don't get to join. She is likely confused. She may have listed one at MEPS and not realized it.

We also don't call them "open" anymore and I used that term above to prevent confusion. We called them "General Aptitude Area" so it's possible at MEPS they said "Aptitude area" and then dad or recruiter used the old term "Open" and she's confused. When she listed an aptitude area at MEPS she may not have realized it was the same as "open"

She can't get a new contract if she actually listed General Aptitude Area (open general) as they will kick her out of the DEP if she refuses to take the contract. If she TRULY didn't list it, what the recruiter did was illegal and she could probably get another contract. It's illegal for us to book an applicant a job that they didn't list, but chances are she listed it and just didn't realize. If she didn't list general, did she list admin or electric? She listed an aptitude area or wouldn't have been allowed to swear-in.

I can't provide a good enough answer here without knowing her 8 job choices. If they were intel, medical, computers, then General Aptitude (open general) is a GREAT CHOICE because that's where those jobs reside and 80% of people with an aptitude area end up with one of their top 4 job choices so it's a great choice. 60% of all medical jobs are reserved for people with general aptitude contracts so it's a great choice if she wants medical.

She can't get MP/K9 handler because of her hear hearing, even with the aptitude area.
Nutritionalist requires a graduate degree and license as a nutritionist. If you mean Diet Therapy Technician than the ONLY way to get this is open general, because we don't generally guarantee that job, it's reserved for people already in basic with an open contract. She can't get CID (We call it OSI) until she is an E-4- the job is retraining only. Physical therapy tech, majority are reserved for BMT/General Aptitude. Paralegal, NEVER guaranteed ever, never, never, and is 100% reserved for General aptitude contracts, safety I'm honestly not sure about, and services is given out usually in the general aptitude area with very few contracts. The best way to get any of these jobs (except Safety I'm not sure about) is to go in with an aptitude area. These are all jobs that are rarely guaranteed.
A new recruiter won't help her get those jobs guaranteed, and the most likely result is that she will end up with a General Contract AGAIN with the next recruiter because she isn't likely to be able to get any of those jobs guaranteed.

Good luck!

Lol, Alaska Erik. I fell asleep in the hearing booth before (I was airborne infantry so yeah) everything you said above is literally everything his boss said so thank you for all that elaboration. She just read all that and will c ontinue as open general. Fingers crossed she gets a good job, she’s 18 and young and bushy eyed. I had an account here and so I asked for her, army is different as we get the jobs up front so I couldn’t help her at all.

Thank you for that long post. It really helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
4,122 posts, read 5,964,955 times
Reputation: 9698
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So this person couldn't be bothered to come to MEPS well rested and fully prepared?! The Air Force is better off without her being on duty some night in a war zone and falling asleep while the enemy is attempting to infiltrate. I'm guessing that MP (Security Forces, actually) slot went to someone who was more on the ball and did come to MEPS fully rested and well prepared.
I fell asleep in the booth before as well. Its not a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 06:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,087 posts, read 8,876,435 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Lol, Alaska Erik. I fell asleep in the hearing booth before (I was airborne infantry so yeah) everything you said above is literally everything his boss said so thank you for all that elaboration. She just read all that and will c ontinue as open general. Fingers crossed she gets a good job, she’s 18 and young and bushy eyed. I had an account here and so I asked for her, army is different as we get the jobs up front so I couldn’t help her at all.

Thank you for that long post. It really helps
The main reason people shy away from General Aptitude is because they don't want to become a cop, but she doesn't have that concern. She'll do great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
5,105 posts, read 2,675,194 times
Reputation: 10015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I fell asleep in the booth before as well. Its not a crime.
It may not be a crime but it shows a lack of responsibility. I had to do the booth every year and I took it seriously. That included coming in fully rested and ready to test. In a flying squadron we can't afford to fail a hearing test, so everyone stayed awake, not just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Guam
2,396 posts, read 645,207 times
Reputation: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
The main reason people shy away from General Aptitude is because they don't want to become a cop, but she doesn't have that concern. She'll do great!
I was about to say the same. I've known the threat of secfo classing to be used as motivation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
, she’s 18 and young and bushy eyed.
and "bright-tailed"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 05:24 PM
 
89 posts, read 36,367 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I fell asleep in the booth before as well. Its not a crime.
The hearing test was always an odd experience for me - I had to concentrate to try to determine if the sounds in the higher frequency were the test tones or just some background sound of blood flowing in my head etc. I can't imagine falling asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top