U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2018, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,677 posts, read 4,493,993 times
Reputation: 5944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanb810 View Post
Iíve been in the navy for 3 years. Last October we went out to sea for a month and I had a REALLY hard time with it because of my anxiety issues. They werenít that much of a problem prior to October. Ever since then I canít focus, I canít eat , I canít sleep, and Iím very depressed and overall just feel horrible everyday. After October I went straight to the mental health clinic because I knew I had a problem. After trying medication, and talking to my doctor for 3 months she finally reccomdended me for an admin separation for ď failure to adjust with depressed moodĒ. It took until about 2 weeks ago for it to finally get to my captains desk, the ship leaves for deployment next week.. 7 days for now. I am not mentally capabale of doing this, the only way I can help myself is to leave the navy and go home. My entire family suffers from severe anxiety and itís awful to live with this and I canít help how I feel. I know I signed a contract, but I canít control my mental health issues that have gotten so bad over the last 6 months. Only problem is, my captain does not know how this feels, or just thinks Iím lying to him and I firmly believe he isnít going to let me leave and I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Iím freaking out so bad, and panicking non-stop. Can anyone help me PLEASE


First off sailor get a grip on yourself and look around for your support. If you are at sea on a boat please seek out the chaplain. If you are back on shore please also seek out the chaplain and talk to someone close to you there.

As one who has been with many service members going through a tough time I can relate to you. Please do not do anything you will regret or will put your family and friends in mourning. This I can say will be the outcome if you decide to take your own life. Your family and friends will be the ones to suffer. I will suffer and I don't even know you from anyone else. For me one life lost to self destruction is one too many. You can also call this number and I hope you can find help. 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Alaska
187 posts, read 81,774 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
First off sailor get a grip on yourself and look around for your support. If you are at sea on a boat please seek out the chaplain. If you are back on shore please also seek out the chaplain and talk to someone close to you there.

As one who has been with many service members going through a tough time I can relate to you. Please do not do anything you will regret or will put your family and friends in mourning. This I can say will be the outcome if you decide to take your own life. Your family and friends will be the ones to suffer. I will suffer and I don't even know you from anyone else. For me one life lost to self destruction is one too many. You can also call this number and I hope you can find help. 1-800-273-8255

YES!!
Thank You for posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
900 posts, read 470,756 times
Reputation: 2030
If you are only anxious at sea, what about transferring to another service like the Air Force?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 PM
 
2,093 posts, read 797,805 times
Reputation: 4088
I'm not military and have had some close calls with being physically and mentally destroyed not to mention PTSD. In my limited sphere of experience, i have learned to overcome some of my fears by identifying the origin of them and what continues to trigger them.
Most originate in childhood. Once triggers are identified you can work through them and eventually no longer be tortured by them. At least knowing where they originated helps learn that the fears are not true to your present situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 07:24 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
624 posts, read 324,251 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Couldn't the navy reassign him so he wouldn't have sea duty ? He has lasted 3 yrs so far so that has to account for something.
If he was a good sailor then yes they would try to help him, if he wasn't then the Chain of command would say screw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 07:38 AM
 
15,836 posts, read 18,470,538 times
Reputation: 25622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanb810 View Post
Yeah, and then the military wonders why the suicide rate is so high.
If you are feeling this way, go check yourself into the hospital immediately. At least speak to your Dr. immediately about what is going on with her report. You can get help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
11,403 posts, read 7,423,822 times
Reputation: 16990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanb810 View Post
Iíve been in the navy for 3 years. Last October we went out to sea for a month and I had a REALLY hard time with it because of my anxiety issues. They werenít that much of a problem prior to October. Ever since then I canít focus, I canít eat , I canít sleep, and Iím very depressed and overall just feel horrible everyday. After October I went straight to the mental health clinic because I knew I had a problem. After trying medication, and talking to my doctor for 3 months she finally reccomdended me for an admin separation for ď failure to adjust with depressed moodĒ. It took until about 2 weeks ago for it to finally get to my captains desk, the ship leaves for deployment next week.. 7 days for now. I am not mentally capabale of doing this, the only way I can help myself is to leave the navy and go home. My entire family suffers from severe anxiety and itís awful to live with this and I canít help how I feel. I know I signed a contract, but I canít control my mental health issues that have gotten so bad over the last 6 months. Only problem is, my captain does not know how this feels, or just thinks Iím lying to him and I firmly believe he isnít going to let me leave and I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Iím freaking out so bad, and panicking non-stop. Can anyone help me PLEASE
Speaking as someone who spent 9 years in the navy and thoroughly enjoyed being at sea, I have to say I completely understand. I saw some young men who simply could not tolerate it, and it was tough to watch.

One day at a time, Jordan. This, too, shall pass. If the captain is smart - and there is no guarantee he is - he will recognize that keeping you on board is counterproductive and will let you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Reputation: 17595
I would imagine that the OP's chief must see the quality of his work and would be providing suggestions to the XO and CO. Unfortunately in that conversation the word 'malingering' is likely being used, I do not know how to steer away from its use.

Keep your Chaplain in the loop, that is his job.

Make sure that you have a weekly appointment at your mental health clinic so your 'doctor' is kept up-to-date on how things are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
5,896 posts, read 3,164,394 times
Reputation: 11924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would imagine that the OP's chief must see the quality of his work and would be providing suggestions to the XO and CO. Unfortunately in that conversation the word 'malingering' is likely being used, I do not know how to steer away from its use.

Keep your Chaplain in the loop, that is his job.

Make sure that you have a weekly appointment at your mental health clinic so your 'doctor' is kept up-to-date on how things are going.
Marine Corps boot camp was where I first heard the term "malingering". It wasn't something you wanted to be known for. Kind of like not qualifying on the range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 PM
 
12,699 posts, read 12,101,843 times
Reputation: 17393
I have seen way too many time where they try to toss "malingering" on people, it was ridiculous. The issue is they hardly ever speak to the people who are around most with the person with the issues, they just view it from an outside perspective. I even seen people with real injuries not officially accused of malingering, but informal circles among the Chiefs and more senior PO's being thought of as such.

The best counter to such a claim is to seek professional help, preferably outside of the immediate command if able to. A note from an O6 group doctor is much better and more accurate then from the shipboard E6 corpsman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top