U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,108 times

Advertisements

Iíve been in the navy for 3 years. Last October we went out to sea for a month and I had a REALLY hard time with it because of my anxiety issues. They werenít that much of a problem prior to October. Ever since then I canít focus, I canít eat , I canít sleep, and Iím very depressed and overall just feel horrible everyday. After October I went straight to the mental health clinic because I knew I had a problem. After trying medication, and talking to my doctor for 3 months she finally reccomdended me for an admin separation for ď failure to adjust with depressed moodĒ. It took until about 2 weeks ago for it to finally get to my captains desk, the ship leaves for deployment next week.. 7 days for now. I am not mentally capabale of doing this, the only way I can help myself is to leave the navy and go home. My entire family suffers from severe anxiety and itís awful to live with this and I canít help how I feel. I know I signed a contract, but I canít control my mental health issues that have gotten so bad over the last 6 months. Only problem is, my captain does not know how this feels, or just thinks Iím lying to him and I firmly believe he isnít going to let me leave and I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Iím freaking out so bad, and panicking non-stop. Can anyone help me PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 AM

5,685 posts, read 2,998,194 times
You need the type of help that you can't get from a forum filled with anonymous strangers. In my day we would have just said suck it up buttercup and do your time.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You need the type of help that you can't get from a forum filled with anonymous strangers. In my day we would have just said suck it up buttercup and do your time.
Yeah, and then the military wonders why the suicide rate is so high.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 AM

108 posts, read 44,141 times
Stay in regular contact with your psychiatrist. She has to be the 'point person' in all this, in terms of adjusting your medication so you can feel better.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:34 PM

751 posts, read 459,971 times
Were you diagnosed with this prior to joining, or did this arise during service. The reason I ask is that you can be doing yourself a big disservice by not "playing the game". If this was aggravated, or caused by your honorable service, you are eligible for VA disability compensation and medical care for the rest of your life. A medical board will determine if you are fit for duty, not your skipper.

So please, DO NOT do anything that will get you kicked out dishonorably. The fact that someone in your family had a mental health issue doesn't determine your life, although that is a risk factor. You already served 3 years, so something had to of changed in that time to know cause this.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM

35,761 posts, read 38,876,839 times
Talk to your chief and your ombudsman if you haven't, already.

If the diagnosis given is an adjustment disorder with depressed mood as a specifier, versus depression as the primary dx, that may be the detail that is making a difference, in terms of it being considered a disqualifying condition. Adjustment disorders are generally considered mild, and frequently remit.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 04-04-2018 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,893,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Talk to your chief and your ombudsman if you haven't, already.

If the diagnosis given is an adjustment disorder with depressed mood as a specifier, versus depression as the primary dx, that may be the detail that is making a difference, in terms of it being considered a disqualifying condition. Adjustment disorders are generally considered mild, and frequently remit.
Ombudsman are not for active duty Sailors to use, they are a liaison for dependents and the command. This is not an issue the Chief is going to be able to solve. The OP needs medical, legal and spiritual assistance.

I'm wondering how the OP got in the Navy in the first place with all the anxiety history. I would be willing to bet it is one of those issues where they were not honest with MEPS and didn't disclose this history.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,573,513 times
Couldn't the navy reassign him so he wouldn't have sea duty ? He has lasted 3 yrs so far so that has to account for something.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:52 PM

24,323 posts, read 11,333,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Couldn't the navy reassign him so he wouldn't have sea duty ? He has lasted 3 yrs so far so that has to account for something.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It all depends on the chain of command.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:57 PM

187 posts, read 75,709 times
So 7 days until deployment limits your options unless you deploy with a treatment plan?

I would ask the Psychiatrist if you are currently deployable, if non deployable get it in writing.
Are you already on Limited Duty with this documented??

Maybe you have done this already and are waiting on your CO's decision?
It does not seem likely but I suppose he could override a medical decision.

No sure where the Admin discharge works in here? If have several years in the usual course would be to treat you and if you don't improve enough then you would be recommended for a MEB (Medical Evaluation Board) to determine if you are fit for duty. This takes a lot longer than 7 days. Being young in your career it's usually a lower bar to be found unfit though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or