Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 05:18 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
They actually focus on caring for their people. The Navy and Army focus on mission and can be a little rough on people in doing it. The Marine Corps is hyperfocused on mission.

I've heard it said there are only two armed services: Army and Navy. The Air Force is a corporation and the Marine Corps is a cult.

Of course, that comes with the double-edged sword that the Air Force retains people and may have slower promotions in general as a result.
Air Force veteran here.

The Air Force does not retain people to the detriment of promotion. However, they only test once a year for promotion compared to other services who may test twice a year.

But plenty of people still get out the Air Force, promotion rates are not hard to achieve.

You study hard, you take a test, you get promoted. If I could go back in time, I would not be enlisted Air Force. I would've been an Army Warrant Officer or Space Force. I still enjoyed my time in service nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 07:46 PM

76 posts, read 210,640 times
Thanks Melanie

Old 09-30-2023, 08:25 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Does he have any interest in becoming a telephone lineman, 36C, or Army Prime Power School in dealing with electricity distribution etc.?

Old 09-30-2023, 12:23 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Does he have any interest in becoming a telephone lineman, 36C, or Army Prime Power School in dealing with electricity distribution etc.?
Soldier joined and was medically discharged or retired. It is an old thread that got resurrected.

Old 09-30-2023, 02:34 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Soldier joined and was medically discharged or retired. It is an old thread that got resurrected.
Drat! I was hoping to get a signing bonus.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:24 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttrunk View Post
My oldest did three years active in the Army and his younger brother did three years four months active. They are both Municipal police officers and bought homes. Shawn my oldest got married, and his brother Kevin gets married next August.
Just becoming a miltary verteran has advantages in most employments.

For enlisted. Miltary firefighter would be high on the list of MOS. Many more family and lifestyle advatages to becoming a civilian firefighter.

College. Enlisting and becoming a veteran in some states provides free/no charge tuition to state colleges to veterans.

On another note. Air Traffice Control MOS. Employment after miltiary is in or near 6 digits. Way higher than a Barney Fife pay scale.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:56 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Almost all of the Navy ratings are 4 year enlistments. Why do you feel that "6 years is way to long" as there are only a couple ratings that require 6 year initial enlistments?

Both myself and my son spent time in the Navy. I retired after 26 years and my son did four years and got out with a lucrative government contractor job making six figures plus. He was an "IT" (Information Systems Technician). I had two ratings over my career..."AT" and "NC". AT was an Aviation Electronics Tecnician and NC was a Navy Counselor (Recruiter). I loved both my ratings and my son enjoyed being an IT.
The US Navy has some of the best machinists in the industry. But it's a hard job and difficult to master. Navy medics are also in very high demand with potential for "real world" careers as mid-level physician assistants. Mechanical engineers who specialize in fluid mechanics would do great in the US Navy. But that topic is very difficult to master and has among the highest dropout rates among STEM majors.

So, the potential for great, advanced tech jobs are great in the US Navy. But the degree of expertise and repsonsibility required are very high in time, concentration, aptitude, and passion.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:00 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Almost all of the Navy ratings are 4 year enlistments. Why do you feel that "6 years is way to long" as there are only a couple ratings that require 6 year initial enlistments?

Both myself and my son spent time in the Navy. I retired after 26 years and my son did four years and got out with a lucrative government contractor job making six figures plus. He was an "IT" (Information Systems Technician). I had two ratings over my career..."AT" and "NC". AT was an Aviation Electronics Tecnician and NC was a Navy Counselor (Recruiter). I loved both my ratings and my son enjoyed being an IT.
My initial enlistment required a 6 year contract. Serving on subs most of my fellow crewmen were on 6 year contracts. All the nucs, ETs, FTBs, MTs were on 6 year contracts. Maybe the cooks were on 4 year enlistments.

On the other hand SRB [Selective Reenlistment Bonus] pay was pretty good. During most of my career my SRB was $65k every four years. The year that I retired our SRB was bumped to $90k every four years.

Old 11-23-2023, 02:33 PM

76 posts, read 210,640 times
Default Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving Melanie!

Old 11-23-2023, 03:24 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttrunk View Post
Happy Thanksgiving Melanie!
Hau`oli la Ho`omakika`i (Happy Thanksgiving in Hawaiian) to you & your wonderful family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues