Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:21 PM

200 posts, read 146,895 times

Advertisements

I'd urge anyone enlisting today (I served two decades ago) to take the most technical MOS they can find (e.g., satellite communications or electronics), or a medical one. I've made a lot more money due to my technical background than I have from my college degree.

That said, a young person should make their own choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:11 PM

6,592 posts, read 7,082,250 times
My nephew just graduated AIT for MOS 25S1C Satellite Communication Systems Operator-Maintainer - 1C—Satellite Systems/Network Coordinator. He was enticed into the MOS with a $40k signing bonus. Can't refuse that kind of stuff. Pretty damned technical stuff. I think he is going to enjoy his time in the army. Takes after his uncle.

To get to the school for the skill identifier he had to graduate with honors and near the top of the class. He was the runner up to the honor grad for the base MOS. I think he might be honor grad for this course.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:55 PM

626 posts, read 625,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
My nephew just graduated AIT for MOS 25S1C Satellite Communication Systems Operator-Maintainer - 1C—Satellite Systems/Network Coordinator. He was enticed into the MOS with a $40k signing bonus. Can't refuse that kind of stuff. Pretty damned technical stuff. I think he is going to enjoy his time in the army. Takes after his uncle.

To get to the school for the skill identifier he had to graduate with honors and near the top of the class. He was the runner up to the honor grad for the base MOS. I think he might be honor grad for this course.
I look back and wish they offered that when I joined the Marines in 2001. I thought I was hot for getting a $5k bonus for being a Communication/Electronic Technician.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttrunk View Post
My two older sons were 31E's "Corrections" in the Army. Son #3 is expressing an interest in joining the Military. The Army was offering 5 year commitments for 31B "Military Police". I am looking 3+ year MOS's in the Army or Air Force. Doesn't have to be MP but kind of where he wants to end up down the road when he gets out. We respect the Navy but 6 years is way to long. Not ruling out Marines, but I was hoping for a little more diversity in picking jobs, and a lower commitment time than 4 years. Looking to get in and out of the Military. Any current or retired Army or Air Force Service men/women that know of a really good MOS for my little buddy? You can respond here or my e-mail which is sgttrunk@aol.com ...Mark Haverhill MA
The majority of everything is 4 years now since they don't really need entry level people like they did 10 years ago.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttrunk View Post
My two older sons were 31E's "Corrections" in the Army. Son #3 is expressing an interest in joining the Military. The Army was offering 5 year commitments for 31B "Military Police". I am looking 3+ year MOS's in the Army or Air Force. Doesn't have to be MP but kind of where he wants to end up down the road when he gets out. We respect the Navy but 6 years is way to long. Not ruling out Marines, but I was hoping for a little more diversity in picking jobs, and a lower commitment time than 4 years. Looking to get in and out of the Military. Any current or retired Army or Air Force Service men/women that know of a really good MOS for my little buddy? You can respond here or my e-mail which is [email="sgttrunk@aol.com"]
I can only offer what experience my Ex GF son had, when he joined the Air Force. When he got out of school, he was not sure of what he wanted to do, and he had menial jobs. He enlisted in the AF, and it changed his life.

His first post was as an MP, guarding a missile site in (I think) Montana. He did that for a couple of years, and his new wife also joined the AF as an IT person. He then took a position as a recruiter, and , the last I knew, he was still at that. They ended up with a home in Montana, one in Georgia, and great financial stability. It gave him opportunities he would have never had.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-09-2018 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
I'm finishing up my Air Force enlistment in 2 years but I have friends who got out earlier (we're all intel) and they're clearing 6 figures from government contracting jobs. One lives in maryland and another one is doing 1 year in Afghanistan.

So I would say choose a technical field that is in high demand for government contracts when they get out. Something with intel, cyber, clearance jobs, computers, networks, IT, etc. Something with computers.

If he wants to be military police, good luck.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:17 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
The majority of everything is 4 years now since they don't really need entry level people like they did 10 years ago.
It's actually an 8 year enlistment. You can do anywhere between 3 and 8 years on active duty and whatever is remaining after your active stint (say 4 years), you will be transferred to inactive reserves for the remainder (4 years). It just means in time of need they could call you back in that time. It always has been and I believe that is effective for all the services.

cyberfx1024 in 38 years of service I never got a bonus. If I were my nephew I would have jumped all over that. I am so proud of him. He was in college not knowing what he really wanted. He knew he had to do something to change his direction and went to talk to the recruiters (AF Navy and Army). Each time he went there the only guy that was available was the Army. One day he just talked to him and the rest is history.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
DoD Policy

DODI 1304.25: MSO in active and reserve components of the Armed Forces is set to be 8 years.

Time spent in delayed entry programs (DEP) is counted as part of this MSO, unless the member separates while in the delayed entry program. Those discharged from a DEP before entry onto active or reserve duty shall not have their time in the DEP counted as part of any MSO.

Service Secretaries may set ADSOs in accordance with the needs of their respective Services, within the provisions of law and policy noted above.
DOPMA/ROPMA Reference | Military Service Obligation and Active Duty Service Obligation

Briefly, all United States military obligations are now 8 years. It may be 4 years active duty, then followed by four years inactive reserve... Etc, etc. It use to be six years sine around 1968 (I am guessing). It applies to all services.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
It's actually an 8 year enlistment. You can do anywhere between 3 and 8 years on active duty and whatever is remaining after your active stint (say 4 years), you will be transferred to inactive reserves for the remainder (4 years). It just means in time of need they could call you back in that time. It always has been and I believe that is effective for all the services.

cyberfx1024 in 38 years of service I never got a bonus. If I were my nephew I would have jumped all over that. I am so proud of him. He was in college not knowing what he really wanted. He knew he had to do something to change his direction and went to talk to the recruiters (AF Navy and Army). Each time he went there the only guy that was available was the Army. One day he just talked to him and the rest is history.
I know it's a 8 year overall commitment but there are 4,5,and 6 years Active options. Back in the mid-2000's they used with a 2 year Active timeframe after boot camp with the rest of the time inactive reserve. Oh actually met and deployed with one guy who did this.

Yeah back when I was talking to the recruiter about a job of wanted to be a tank crewman and he told me "Your scores you can do anything you want, try think of a job you can once you get it". So I became a CommEl Technician and haven't looked back since. I signed up originally for a 5 year Active and after 4 I renegotiated for another 3 years to make it 7 years and change.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:22 PM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I think you would be thinking wrong. IIRC 11b grunt has the lowest ASVAB qualification requirement. It does not take much in the way of brains to become cannon fodder, all you need to know is how to run and point your rifle in the right direction and die, while trying to kill as many of the enemy as possible before that happens. Cops need to be a bit smarter than that...well, they ought to be, but from what I've seen lately that isn't always the case...but that is off-topic for this thread.

I heard something similar, that while every fictional police squad was full of Ranger and Special Forces veterans the real world Soldier and Marine combat infantry and cavalry veterans were failing police department psychological assessment test at a higher rate than veterans from other job categories. With more special forces and those soldiers taking an increasing share of the combat load as we draw down the US deployed forces maybe the qualification rates among veterans are/will even out now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues