U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:37 PM

63 posts, read 152,343 times

Advertisements

My two older sons were 31E's "Corrections" in the Army. Son #3 is expressing an interest in joining the Military. The Army was offering 5 year commitments for 31B "Military Police". I am looking 3+ year MOS's in the Army or Air Force. Doesn't have to be MP but kind of where he wants to end up down the road when he gets out. We respect the Navy but 6 years is way to long. Not ruling out Marines, but I was hoping for a little more diversity in picking jobs, and a lower commitment time than 4 years. Looking to get in and out of the Military. Any current or retired Army or Air Force Service men/women that know of a really good MOS for my little buddy?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-09-2018 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Do not publish your email addy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 PM

4,484 posts, read 7,681,790 times
Almost all of the Navy ratings are 4 year enlistments. Why do you feel that "6 years is way to long" as there are only a couple ratings that require 6 year initial enlistments?

Both myself and my son spent time in the Navy. I retired after 26 years and my son did four years and got out with a lucrative government contractor job making six figures plus. He was an "IT" (Information Systems Technician). I had two ratings over my career..."AT" and "NC". AT was an Aviation Electronics Tecnician and NC was a Navy Counselor (Recruiter). I loved both my ratings and my son enjoyed being an IT.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:17 PM

13,964 posts, read 7,731,398 times
Infantry 11 bang bang would be perfect.

Translates well to law enforcement in the future I would think.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:21 PM

113 posts, read 52,212 times
this is rare opportunity to get training and experience in something new.

if you look at something besides infantry and mil police, you can see some great opportunities.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:43 AM

871 posts, read 360,191 times
Going the MP route doesn't necessarily give a benefit to getting on with a civilian law enforcement department.

I've talked to cops locally and some departments view it negatively that you may have bad habits doing things the military way and it's harder to unprogram that than it is to just train a non MP veteran.

Just being a vetreran regardless of your job is still a benefit over a regular civilian off the street.

If he wants to be an aircraft mechanic go be an aircraft mechanic.

He will stop be a veteran and in interviews he can tel a future enployer, look how trainable I am, I knew nothing of being an aircraft mechanic but I focused myself and dedicated a lot of time and energy to becoming a successful mechanic with no prior experience and I intend to use that experience to know what I have to do to be successful as a civilian law enforcement officer etc..

The point is, he has a once in a lifetime chance to do something totally different and it can still be used as invaluable life experience. Have some fun doing it.

YMMV just my .02cents

Old 04-08-2018, 08:05 AM

28,650 posts, read 16,095,089 times
What ever it is, make sure it's viable on the outside....personally Aviation is taking off and southwest of you in the Manchester/Hartford area is booming with Aviation. I have personally inspected several companies in that area that overhauls parts for the Army.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:13 AM

29,224 posts, read 46,429,551 times
This conversation reminds me of 'The Graduate' [1967], there is a scene where Mr. Maguire says "There is a great future in plastics".

I was reminded of that scene many times during my Naval career.

Sailors would sometimes get depressed, and in talking with them, some were not happy with the job that they had gotten. Often an older uncle or grandparent had told them, back when they were 18, that 'such' is a good career to follow. So on that advice, they enlisted.

Here is the thing, the Navy honestly has some idea of what they are doing. Each enlistee must take the ASVAB, from those ASVAB scores the recruiter sees which jobs are best suited for the enlistee.

There is no magic code word like 'plastics' that will land you the best job idealy suited to all enlistees. Each person is different. What the best job for one might be, will be a horrible choice for the next enlistee.

If your son wants to go into Law Enforcement, fine, let him take the ASVAB and see if it agrees.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 AM

5,400 posts, read 6,238,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Infantry 11 bang bang would be perfect.

Translates well to law enforcement in the future I would think.
I think you would be thinking wrong. IIRC 11b grunt has the lowest ASVAB qualification requirement. It does not take much in the way of brains to become cannon fodder, all you need to know is how to run and point your rifle in the right direction and die, while trying to kill as many of the enemy as possible before that happens. Cops need to be a bit smarter than that...well, they ought to be, but from what I've seen lately that isn't always the case...but that is off-topic for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This conversation reminds me of 'The Graduate' [1967], there is a scene where Mr. Maguire says "There is a great future in plastics".

I was reminded of that scene many times during my Naval career.

Sailors would sometimes get depressed, and in talking with them, some were not happy with the job that they had gotten. Often an older uncle or grandparent had told them, back when they were 18, that 'such' is a good career to follow. So on that advice, they enlisted.

Here is the thing, the Navy honestly has some idea of what they are doing. Each enlistee must take the ASVAB, from those ASVAB scores the recruiter sees which jobs are best suited for the enlistee.

There is no magic code word like 'plastics' that will land you the best job idealy suited to all enlistees. Each person is different. What the best job for one might be, will be a horrible choice for the next enlistee.

If your son wants to go into Law Enforcement, fine, let him take the ASVAB and see if it agrees.
AFAIK, all branches require the ASVAB. I took it more than 40 years ago when I enlisted in the Army, the recruiter looked at my score, then looked at me and said "You can do anything you want to do and choose any duty station you want, name it and it's yours." (And, unlike many stories that I heard about recruits being lied to by recruiters, my selections were guaranteed in writing and I got exactly what I requested. Although during Basic, after language skills testing and the fact that I already spoke 5 languages, they attempted to get me to change my MOS to Military Intelligence...but when I refused they let me continue on my chosen path. Sometimes I think that I made a mistake in not taking that opportunity.)

The ASVAB will not 'agree' as to whether he is 'suited' for Law Enforcement, only whether he meets/exceeds the qualifications to choose it.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:28 AM

8,611 posts, read 6,687,910 times
I apologize in advance if this comes on as adversarial, I'm just advancing my concern!
As a military retiree, I wonder why the OP is choosing the son's career. If he isn't mature enough to make such a decision after talking to the various recruiters that are obviously available to him, as a former recruiter I have to wonder if he is mature enough to make it through even one short enlistment.
As a parent of 5 kids, I understand the need to give guidance. However, the ultimate decision HAS to be made by the individual.
I wish him luck in the decision-making process.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:57 AM

3,088 posts, read 8,892,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttrunk View Post
My two older sons were 31E's "Corrections" in the Army. Son #3 is expressing an interest in joining the Military. The Army was offering 5 year commitments for 31B "Military Police". I am looking 3+ year MOS's in the Army or Air Force. Doesn't have to be MP but kind of where he wants to end up down the road when he gets out. We respect the Navy but 6 years is way to long. Not ruling out Marines, but I was hoping for a little more diversity in picking jobs, and a lower commitment time than 4 years. Looking to get in and out of the Military. Any current or retired Army or Air Force Service men/women that know of a really good MOS for my little buddy?
Air Force minimum is 4 years. The Army is the only branch that offers a shorter contract. With the Air Force, you don't pick your job. You make a list of usually about 8 and get the first one that comes open and you must be willing to take an "open" contract, meaning you don't find out your job until basic training. It might not be a good fit if you are really concerned about the job.

The Air Force has a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH higher rate of degree completion than the Army. So, you son needs to decide what's more important, time and encouragement toward a degree, or a shorter contract. Degree stats found here: http://demo.dantespulse.com/_content...tSheetFY15.pdf

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-09-2018 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or