U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:32 AM

625 posts, read 319,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
There's no room for fido in the foxhole. If one needs an emotional support of any kind, they are not a good fit for the military.

The military's job is to fight and win wars.
Nothing like a slap in the face to the entire K-9 Corps, who are most assuredly "in the foxhole."

The rest of your comments are bang on accurate.

OP, the person about whom you wrote is ethically/morally deficient, IMHO. She has no business trying to join the military, because:

1. The military does not accept people with emotional disabilities requiring the use of a support animal. She wouldn't even get through basic training.

2. The military frowns mightily upon people who game systems for their own benefit. It's fraud and we don't want fraudsters in the military.

3. One visit with a counselor means nothing, unless that counselor recommended followup and she failed to do so.

Looks like any way you spin the bottle, she's not acceptable to the military. Either she's disabled (DQ for medical) or she's gaming the system (DQ for moral turpitude).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 04:14 PM

8,743 posts, read 7,201,746 times
Wow! Talk about clueless (your friend). I wasn’t in direct combat like Army and Marine but I still suffered from the effects of things that happened. Was in the Navy working in the engine room during Desert Storm and Bosnia. Because of things that happened I had “Navy dreams” that would cause me to bolt up ready to run off and on for about ten years after leaving the Navy. If the break up of a relationship is enough stress to seek counseling then your friend would not be able to handle the military.

My wife has a dog for emotional support but is not a therapy dog. Wife is 49 and has had partial knee replacement due to arthritis, s curve scoliosis, spinal stenosis, blown out disc (now with four screws and two rods on her two vertebrae), and nerve damage in her back. The dog is her companion to help ease her discomfort especially when I’m away at work.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:57 PM

4,141 posts, read 985,847 times
Having experienced the rigorous process through MEPS where Uncle Sam tries to find anything to DQ you, the folks who work there will laugh out loud if you tried bringing in a support animal.

You wouldn't even get past the recruiter.

There is no time for silly support animals when you're going through basic training. In Korea, I worked with someone who had a support dog...But she was a civilian contractor and they can do what they want, not military.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 AM

14,693 posts, read 8,274,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My feeling is that no one who has registered an emotional support animal should get to first base. An automatic NO!
Amen.

The military has a wide pool of recruits that have zero baggage mentally, emotionally, physically, why would they want to take in someone that has those issues when they could have someone healthy in all ways?

Now, back in 2006/2007, when the military was desperate for bodies, they did take in and waive applicants they normally would not have. But someone that needs an 'emotional support' anything? Seriously? You really want to take in a recruit that needs Fido to function on his/her military duties? Fuggedaboutit.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM

1,622 posts, read 737,976 times
I didn't get the impression that she planned on taking the dog with her into the military.....just the concept that when it was to her advantage, she "needed" the dog, but when she wants to get in, she miraculously has been cured of her anxiety and is concerned that her dishonesty the first time around will catch up with her. Am I correct?

Old 04-11-2018, 12:21 PM

17,602 posts, read 9,599,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I didn't get the impression that she planned on taking the dog with her into the military.....just the concept that when it was to her advantage, she "needed" the dog, but when she wants to get in, she miraculously has been cured of her anxiety and is concerned that her dishonesty the first time around will catch up with her. Am I correct?
I think so. She doesn't have any real emotional problems, just an ethical problem. The ethical problem will be revealed if somehow the earlier falsehood gets uncovered at MEPS.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:15 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,823,493 times
Good grief. So whatís next for this generationís fragile recruits blankies and teddy bears?

Old 04-11-2018, 04:55 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,410,098 times
don't forget we went through the stress card era too.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,750,372 times
What I really want to know is if I can take my fidget spinner to boot camp?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-12-2018, 05:38 PM

968 posts, read 197,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
don't forget we went through the stress card era too.
Yes, and mommy will be there to tuck them in at night too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or