U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 77,804 times

Advertisements

My son is on track to get his math degree in December and has recently expressed an interest in the military. I'm not sure how serious he is at this point but would appreciate any information or experience you could share on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:45 AM

23,939 posts, read 38,422,377 times
Go To This Page: http://www.city-data.com/forum/41570658-post18.html

It appears current..

Old 04-17-2018, 04:47 PM

958 posts, read 409,751 times
Tell him to go for it. It's a fantastic idea and career decision.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM

9,795 posts, read 7,876,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Go To This Page: http://www.city-data.com/forum/41570658-post18.html

It appears current..
But I didn't see any mention of OCS for the Navy.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:46 AM

23,939 posts, read 38,422,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
But I didn't see any mention of OCS for the Navy.
Check here: Officer Training Command, Home of Navy OCS - Officer Candidate School

Old 05-06-2018, 05:35 PM

108 posts, read 44,141 times
I would say first that attaining a college degree doesn't necessarily mean a person has what it takes to make a good military officer. Many people who make good grades in college lack the leadership and management skills that military leadership requires.

Historically, when a much smaller percentage of the population went to college, in times of war college educated people were made officers almost by default. And there's still a bit of "I have a college degree, I should be an officer" mentality left in our culture. Times have changed - a fair number of enlisted service members have college degrees, and OCS programs are generally quite selective. They look for demonstrated leadership experience, like in sports, fraternities, extra-curriculars etc. I believe Navy OCS has quite high demands for college GPA also.

In general, your son should try to be self-aware about his talents and strengths when deciding to apply. If the officer route doesn't pan out, serving as enlisted for a few years would still be a great life- and skill-building experience.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 PM

4,170 posts, read 994,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I would say first that attaining a college degree doesn't necessarily mean a person has what it takes to make a good military officer.
The military will decide that. The key is to give it a shot.

No one and I mean no one, knows what type of military service someone will have.

People of all backgrounds join the military. There’s ex-gang members in the military right now. The military will fix you or kick you out, very simple.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:01 PM

9,795 posts, read 7,876,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I went through it!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM

5,076 posts, read 5,978,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I would say first that attaining a college degree doesn't necessarily mean a person has what it takes to make a good military officer. Many people who make good grades in college lack the leadership and management skills that military leadership requires.

Historically, when a much smaller percentage of the population went to college, in times of war college educated people were made officers almost by default. And there's still a bit of "I have a college degree, I should be an officer" mentality left in our culture. Times have changed - a fair number of enlisted service members have college degrees, and OCS programs are generally quite selective. They look for demonstrated leadership experience, like in sports, fraternities, extra-curriculars etc. I believe Navy OCS has quite high demands for college GPA also.

In general, your son should try to be self-aware about his talents and strengths when deciding to apply. If the officer route doesn't pan out, serving as enlisted for a few years would still be a great life- and skill-building experience.
agree with poster. doesn't mean not to go for that if that is the OP's son's desire. just that it isn't a throw spaghetti on the wall decision.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:05 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,116,824 times
At least for Navy OCS when I went through...

You have to take an Officer selection test. It is quite difficult. Remember, it's for college grads and people who might one day be the CO of a nuclear submarine. After that the recuiter will review your grades and background to determine if they should even waste their time on submitting a package for you to a selection board. The selection board will make the final determination.

That's the short answer of how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or