U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:22 PM
 
5,518 posts, read 4,349,869 times
Reputation: 10762

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
As a female who has been in the Air Force for nearly two decades, I can tell you this isn't a huge issue and it's something that I don't worry about at ALL.

I'm not a victim blamer, so don't take it this way, but if she doesn't put herself in a position she has little to worry about. The vast majority of the sexual assaults that I'm aware of involve a drunk and vulnerable female, often who is passed out in the dorms or something along those lines. Women don't just get randomly assaulted in the middle of work day, while at work.

Sexual assault statistics are inflated, in my opinion, because if someone smacks my butt and I complain, the Air Force will log that as a sexual assault and it will raise the stats. In a normal city, the police wouldn't even take a report for that, so it doesn't raise statistics.

We get multiple sets of annual training on how to prevent sexual assault, as in have a "wingman" with you, call the police if you see something suspicious taking place, look out for each other, don't get black-out drunk, don't be alone with a man you don't know, make sure your friends made it home OK after the club/bar, etc. We also have extremely tough penalties for offenders.

4% of women in the military report sexual assualt, https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Re...-the-military/ , yet 11% of college females report sexual assault. https://www.rainn.org/statistics/campus-sexual-violence.

Sexual assault is less than 1/2 in the military than it is on a college campus. Were you worried about her in College?
Have to agree with you as a person that spent over 20 years in the Air Force. The few times it happened, alcohol was involved.

I can't remember an air force female getting assaulted from just going about their business, but I can remember it happening to females walking back to their dorm room at night in college!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 PM
 
10,289 posts, read 7,417,405 times
Reputation: 18077
*sigh*

This thread is full of "I was in for umpteen years and never saw it". OR "leaders don't tolerate it"

Yes, there is a TON of training about it and there's a reason for that. Situational awareness is so important and bystander intervention is, too. But if you're with the ones you're supposed to trust the most, the ones you would protect with your life in the trenches, you can't imagine having to worry about being assaulted by one of them. Still, it happens.

Predators are everywhere but certainly your sister (and all of us) can take steps to protect ourselves. You can be drinking soda and have someone slip you something. But she should be vigilant in all scenarios, in or out of the military.

This can happen anywhere. Yes it happens in the military, too. And people in power are perps frequently. And men are victimized (by other men) frequently. It's a big military. Watch your back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,176 posts, read 9,186,711 times
Reputation: 4681
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
*sigh*

This thread is full of "I was in for umpteen years and never saw it". OR "leaders don't tolerate it"
I provided actual sources and statistics showing the rate in the military is less than 1/2 the rate on college campuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM
 
17,832 posts, read 9,778,734 times
Reputation: 17300
The reason there is a ton of training on sexual harassment and assault in the military is because the services are continually bringing in "unsocialized" recruits.

This was the mistake the services made in the 70s: They hit the social issues hard--racism and sexism. They set up programs to combat it and had fairly successfully (compared to the civilian sector) going into the 80s.

Then, determining that the problem was "solved," they dismantled those programs...forgetting that within another military "generation," all the socialized people would be retired and replaced by an unsocialized generation.

Maybe this time they'd do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
1,667 posts, read 653,772 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygo View Post
My younger sister who is in her 20s is set on joining the military in the next few months.

I'm concerned about sexual assault, and would like some input on what branches of the military would be the "safest" where that possibility would be minimized.

Thank you in advance
This is going to sound crass so please donít be offended, but the potential for sexual assault exists in every branch of the military. And every other office, factory, warehouse, or public or private spot on this planet. Why arenít you as concerned about any place that an assault could occur?

Itís great that you want to look out for your sister, but unless she intends to live in a bubble she is going to have to live her life like everyone else does.

Iím pretty sure your little sister is pretty smart about the ways to protect herself and will manage to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,802 posts, read 39,211,415 times
Reputation: 48593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The reason there is a ton of training on sexual harassment and assault in the military is because the services are continually bringing in "unsocialized" recruits.

This was the mistake the services made in the 70s: They hit the social issues hard--racism and sexism. They set up programs to combat it and had fairly successfully (compared to the civilian sector) going into the 80s.

Then, determining that the problem was "solved," they dismantled those programs...forgetting that within another military "generation," all the socialized people would be retired and replaced by an unsocialized generation.

Maybe this time they'd do better.
There are still sexual assault prevention and response programs. Those haven't gone away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 PM
 
Location: interior Alaska
3,961 posts, read 2,948,328 times
Reputation: 11776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I provided actual sources and statistics showing the rate in the military is less than 1/2 the rate on college campuses.
OTOH:
Quote:
the Pentagon estimated that 32 percent of service members who experience sexual assault now report it, up from 25 percent in fiscal years 2014 and 2015.
How Common Is Sexual Assault in the U.S. Military? The Pentagon Just Released New Data

So, figure on multiplying the reported rate by at least 3 to get a more realistic figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 PM
 
Location: interior Alaska
3,961 posts, read 2,948,328 times
Reputation: 11776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
We get multiple sets of annual training on how to prevent sexual assault, as in have a "wingman" with you, call the police if you see something suspicious taking place, look out for each other, don't get black-out drunk, don't be alone with a man you don't know, make sure your friends made it home OK after the club/bar, etc. We also have extremely tough penalties for offenders.
Do you notice that these are mostly about avoiding being raped oneself, or about making sure your buddies aren't targeted, rather than anything that addresses the causes of sexual assault? It's like hiding in a bomb shelter rather than defusing bombs...better than getting blown up, sure, but not a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
4,229 posts, read 6,168,029 times
Reputation: 10026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Do you notice that these are mostly about avoiding being raped oneself, or about making sure your buddies aren't targeted, rather than anything that addresses the causes of sexual assault? It's like hiding in a bomb shelter rather than defusing bombs...better than getting blown up, sure, but not a solution.
I think you are right with your intent but I dont think it is the job of the military to solve the cause of sexual assault. I think thats a much larger social issue that prevails in and out of the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:40 AM
 
17,832 posts, read 9,778,734 times
Reputation: 17300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think you are right with your intent but I dont think it is the job of the military to solve the cause of sexual assault. I think thats a much larger social issue that prevails in and out of the military.
It is the job of the military to solve problems within the military.

A blizzard might dump snow over the whole state. It's not the job of the military to clear the streets downtown, but it's the job of the military to get the base runway cleared ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top