U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 AM

4,672 posts, read 4,471,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Do you notice that these are mostly about avoiding being raped oneself, or about making sure your buddies aren't targeted, rather than anything that addresses the causes of sexual assault? It's like hiding in a bomb shelter rather than defusing bombs...better than getting blown up, sure, but not a solution.
Not a very good analogy. However that is not what is happening. Today all service members are consistently reminded of their responsibilities and the consequences of any number of issues military members deal with from sexual assault to suicide, drug use, comsec, to articles of UCMJ.

Still as we are all human we are prone to many failings. I can tell you that the information we provide soldiers in not just how to protect oneself. It is also that if you see something you are obligated to speak up. We remind soldiers that the young men and women around them are family. We would not allow a family member to be taken advantage of nor take advantage of them. If they cannot abide by the rules there is no place in the military for them. We remove them. Trust me when I say this. The military is ahead of the curve on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM

8,512 posts, read 2,870,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygo View Post
My younger sister who is in her 20s is set on joining the military in the next few months.

I'm concerned about sexual assault, and would like some input on what branches of the military would be the "safest" where that possibility would be minimized.

Thank you in advance
Airforce - which also has some of the best overseas postings and the USAF bases often have lots of good facilities and are well policed.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 AM

24,101 posts, read 38,783,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
So, figure on multiplying the reported rate by at least 3 to get a more realistic figure.
I'll figure that's not much help...

Old 04-17-2018, 01:54 PM

7,839 posts, read 11,120,995 times
Sexual assaults in the military run generally to several different scenarios, two of them very similar to regular walks of life.
Work and dorm life. Have to be careful, on your guard etc.

Deployments are different and I wonder if that's what the OP is talking about. There have been some serious issues there, mostly army as they are high deployment, large field deployments, more deployed women than the marines, lower recruitment standards, lower ratio of supervision (enlisted/officer) etc.

I think the rank of safest is
Air Force
Navy
Marines
Army

That is somwhat subjective althought I have 24 years with the Air Force.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:02 PM

7,839 posts, read 11,120,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Have to agree with you as a person that spent over 20 years in the Air Force. The few times it happened, alcohol was involved.

I can't remember an air force female getting assaulted from just going about their business, but I can remember it happening to females walking back to their dorm room at night in college!
Yea think again. There have been at least 2 highly ranked SNCO's and Officers who have gone done for sexual harrassment/rape in work related environments.

It happens all the time, anywhere there are men and women. In the military you have to factor in things like abuse of rank, chain of command, an even higher fear of reporting due to breaking the code, retribution.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:42 PM

2,232 posts, read 1,733,935 times
I agree with the Air force.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:39 PM

17,848 posts, read 9,795,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Yea think again. There have been at least 2 highly ranked SNCO's and Officers who have gone done for sexual harrassment/rape in work related environments.
"At least 2." That many. More than that on Capitol Hill that we know about. More than that in the White House that we know about.

Quote:
It happens all the time, anywhere there are men and women.
Not "all the time." Roll that statement back a bit to reality.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:46 PM

968 posts, read 423,513 times
She's more likely to be sexually assaulted in college than the military...

Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 PM

10,334 posts, read 7,432,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I provided actual sources and statistics showing the rate in the military is less than 1/2 the rate on college campuses.
And what are those numbers? If they're more than zero they're too many. But I get it.

Reported incidences. Because when a victim reports he/she goes through holy hell from there on out and often is moved instead of the perp moving. Everyone loves the perp - because that's how those predators are "nice guys". Why would anyone report? Just keep your mouth shut and hope you can drink away the nightmares. Maybe you have a chance to stay in the career field you love rather than getting sent out of there to some obscure temporary duty.

After the assault they are victimized in many other different ways. It doesn't go away.

Maybe the suicides factor in? Who knows. Thank God for the SARC and the Victim Advocates. People who will listen and accept what you say without being judgemental. Look them up, they're awesome.

But to the OP, the military is a great career path, even if it's only for one enlistment. Just be smart and vigilent - she'll be okay. Maybe learn to recognize a predator and document everything.

I have a Kennel Master female friend who is deployed and surrounded by guys. She's petite and gorgeous and ALL BUSINESS. She's a MWD Handler. She doesn't have any trouble (that I know of). Probably helps she carries a weapon.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM

17,848 posts, read 9,795,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
And what are those numbers? If they're more than zero they're too many. But I get it.

Reported incidences. Because when a victim reports he/she goes through holy hell from there on out and often is moved instead of the perp moving. Everyone loves the perp - because that's how those predators are "nice guys". Why would anyone report? Just keep your mouth shut and hope you can drink away the nightmares. Maybe you have a chance to stay in the career field you love rather than getting sent out of there to some obscure temporary duty.

After the assault they are victimized in many other different ways. It doesn't go away.

Maybe the suicides factor in? Who knows. Thank God for the SARC and the Victim Advocates. People who will listen and accept what you say without being judgemental. Look them up, they're awesome.

But to the OP, the military is a great career path, even if it's only for one enlistment. Just be smart and vigilent - she'll be okay. Maybe learn to recognize a predator and document everything.

I have a Kennel Master female friend who is deployed and surrounded by guys. She's petite and gorgeous and ALL BUSINESS. She's a MWD Handler. She doesn't have any trouble (that I know of). Probably helps she carries a weapon.
IOW, you've got no numbers and no evidence, just speculation on how you think it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues