U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 627 times

Advertisements

My younger sister who is in her 20s is set on joining the military in the next few months.

I'm concerned about sexual assault, and would like some input on what branches of the military would be the "safest" where that possibility would be minimized.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:03 PM

4,508 posts, read 7,793,211 times
They are all "safe" when it comes to sexual assault. There will be less risk of sexual assault than there will be on a college campus. The military takes this seriously and the consequences are much stiffer than they are on a college campus.

Sexual assault can and does happen but it isn't a huge problem. I spent 26 years in the Navy and did not see any of this in my career. It isn't the problem the media is portraying. Of course she needs to keep her wits about her and not put herself in situations where she would be in greater danger of being assaulted. Getting so plastered where you are not in control is a recipe for disaster regardless of where/what you do for a living.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 2,835,838 times
Air Force would be the safest.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:55 PM

371 posts, read 146,142 times
Clearly that is a HUGE risk but cannot give you an answer, sorry. Just validating your concerns as truths. Don't listen to anyone who wants to de-rail your thread with making you justify it

Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,351,905 times
I can tell you as a senior leader in the army/army national guard the trouble exists but not nearly to the extent we have with suicides. It does happen and when it does the penalties are severe. We as leaders do not tolerate it in any way shape or form. If we are told of an incident protocols go into motion all driven by the assaulted person. I don't think any one service is better than any other. We have more assaults reported in the army but we are a bigger force.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 AM

3,100 posts, read 9,000,145 times
As a female who has been in the Air Force for nearly two decades, I can tell you this isn't a huge issue and it's something that I don't worry about at ALL.

I'm not a victim blamer, so don't take it this way, but if she doesn't put herself in a position she has little to worry about. The vast majority of the sexual assaults that I'm aware of involve a drunk and vulnerable female, often who is passed out in the dorms or something along those lines. Women don't just get randomly assaulted in the middle of work day, while at work.

Sexual assault statistics are inflated, in my opinion, because if someone smacks my butt and I complain, the Air Force will log that as a sexual assault and it will raise the stats. In a normal city, the police wouldn't even take a report for that, so it doesn't raise statistics.

We get multiple sets of annual training on how to prevent sexual assault, as in have a "wingman" with you, call the police if you see something suspicious taking place, look out for each other, don't get black-out drunk, don't be alone with a man you don't know, make sure your friends made it home OK after the club/bar, etc. We also have extremely tough penalties for offenders.

4% of women in the military report sexual assualt, https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Re...-the-military/ , yet 11% of college females report sexual assault. https://www.rainn.org/statistics/campus-sexual-violence.

Sexual assault is less than 1/2 in the military than it is on a college campus. Were you worried about her in College?

Old 04-16-2018, 04:18 PM

30,991 posts, read 17,849,960 times
I don't mean to sound offensive, but why sexual assault is your biggest concern?

Sexual assault has no place in the military, isn't that good enough?

Regardless of the branch you join, discrimination based on your gender is not tolerated; sexual assault is not tolerated. There are points of contact if you happen to be a victim of discrimination, there are points of contact if you happen to be a victim of sexual assault, and your chain of command will ensure you know who can help you.

I would focus less on sexual assault and more on the jobs and what they entail.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:28 PM

17,243 posts, read 9,379,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
As a female who has been in the Air Force for nearly two decades, I can tell you this isn't a huge issue and it's something that I don't worry about at ALL.

I'm not a victim blamer, so don't take it this way, but if she doesn't put herself in a position she has little to worry about. The vast majority of the sexual assaults that I'm aware of involve a drunk and vulnerable female, often who is passed out in the dorms or something along those lines. Women don't just get randomly assaulted in the middle of work day, while at work.

Sexual assault statistics are inflated, in my opinion, because if someone smacks my butt and I complain, the Air Force will log that as a sexual assault and it will raise the stats. In a normal city, the police wouldn't even take a report for that, so it doesn't raise statistics.

We get multiple sets of annual training on how to prevent sexual assault, as in have a "wingman" with you, call the police if you see something suspicious taking place, look out for each other, don't get black-out drunk, don't be alone with a man you don't know, make sure your friends made it home OK after the club/bar, etc. We also have extremely tough penalties for offenders.

4% of women in the military report sexual assualt, https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Re...-the-military/ , yet 11% of college females report sexual assault. https://www.rainn.org/statistics/campus-sexual-violence.

Sexual assault is less than 1/2 in the military than it is on a college campus. Were you worried about her in College?
To make that point, my daughter had to tolerate sexual harassment and assaults in both high school and college that I know would have gotten men hammered hard in the Air Force (and I would have been one of those hammers).

Old 04-16-2018, 04:38 PM

12,297 posts, read 11,727,363 times
Tell her not to go get wasted drunk and hang around all the barracks dudes, that alone will decrease her risk by 99%.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM

30,991 posts, read 17,849,960 times
I grew up with the Marines and most of my best friends are Marines. I was always with them, and in college, I dated ONLY the Marines. I have never been sexually assaulted, not even once. I have never met one male Marine who is not an honorable man. But then again, my own brother was a Marine.

Most importantly, I am not the type of girl who would think everything can be defined as sexual assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues