U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM

4,036 posts, read 1,834,378 times

Advertisements

There are not many of these guys left. Amazing any lived through it.

https://www.military.com/history/ben...army_180416.nl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:42 AM

3,832 posts, read 2,897,741 times
Yup. Itís amazing any of them survived. They had been on short rations for months. Many were wounded with little or no medical care.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,060,240 times
Yes it was bad

Old 04-19-2018, 03:24 PM

2,570 posts, read 3,667,680 times
There was a tremendous amount of courage displayed by those gentlemen. My father and uncles saw a lot of action in the Pacific during WWII and they have since passed on and although I have the memories of their stories and a few pictures, this passing of a generation that fought wars on two fronts have just about all left us.

I am so happy to see stories like this as hopefully those who gave so much will always be remembered and honored. Although many suffered it is part of history that never should be forgotten.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 PM

7,961 posts, read 6,706,083 times
In the 60's, when I was a teenager, I worked with a fellow that had been on the march. All I remember about Frank, was that he was a nice guy.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 PM

4,036 posts, read 1,834,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In the 60's, when I was a teenager, I worked with a fellow that had been on the march. All I remember about Frank, was that he was a nice guy.
Its amazing,I have a survivor that lives about 4 blocks from me. I went to a DAV meeting here a couple of years ago and he was there. I so wanted to talk to him and shake his hand but didn't..... for once I was at a lose for words..........

Old 04-19-2018, 10:37 PM

4,556 posts, read 1,138,948 times
Between the the Bataan death march and Nanking Massacre (among many other war crimes), no one can convince me there wasn't a three way tie between Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and the Imperial Japan on who committed the most WW2 atrocities.

People think america dropping the bomb on Japan was extreme, they don't realize that Japan would've done it dozens of times to their enemies if they got their hands on it.

Reading about Japanese war crimes will disturb you, it's very hard to read. They did not believe POWs were human nor did they treat them with basic Geneva convention protections.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,139,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Between the the Bataan death march and Nanking Massacre (among many other war crimes), no one can convince me there wasn't a three way tie between Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and the Imperial Japan on who committed the most WW2 atrocities.

People think america dropping the bomb on Japan was extreme, they don't realize that Japan would've done it dozens of times to their enemies if they got their hands on it.

Reading about Japanese war crimes will disturb you, it's very hard to read. They did not believe POWs were human nor did they treat them with basic Geneva convention protections.
Fairly unknown is that Japan planned on executing all POWs starting August 22, 1945. They had already conditioned prisoners to be marched out of the compound in small groups. They wanted every last soldier available for the invasion they knew was coming. Every POW that left Japan alive did so because we dropped those two atomic bombs. That alone makes their use worth it, regardless of the number of enemy casualties.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 PM

4,556 posts, read 1,138,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Fairly unknown is that Japan planned on executing all POWs starting August 22, 1945. They had already conditioned prisoners to be marched out of the compound in small groups. They wanted every last soldier available for the invasion they knew was coming. Every POW that left Japan alive did so because we dropped those two atomic bombs. That alone makes their use worth it, regardless of the number of enemy casualties.
I agree. One can even argue that they didn't want to surrender after the bombs, and that it also took the invasion of the Soviet Union from the north (which was largely unprotected like the south) to finally realize it was all over.

Another sad case in history where a county abused its military might with no regard to the treatment of civilians or POWs.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
One of my great-uncles survived the Bataan Death March but later died as a POW after being transferred to a second Japanese POW camp. My great-uncle's remains are unaccounted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues