Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

The Air Force is sending a clear message: re-enlisting with a dinosaur puppet on your right hand isn't funny.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...primanded.html

Quote:
The Air Force has removed the senior noncommissioned officer (E-7) at the center of the controversy from her position in the Tennessee Guard's joint public affairs office and is weighing further administrative action, according to a statement Wednesday from Maj Gen. Terry M. Haston, the adjutant general for the Tennessee Guard.

The colonel shown administering the oath has been "immediately retired at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (O-5)," Haston said in the post.

Meanwhile, the senior NCO who recorded the re-enlistment ceremony on video has been removed from his position as a unit first sergeant and has received an official reprimand. He will remain with the Guard, the post said
I can't imagine what they were thinking.

I always took re-enlistment very seriously. I selected the officers to administer the oath very carefully, and they always accepted the responsibility as an honor.

At one point, I tendered a formal request to a major general (it had to go up the chain as an official "staff action." I expected him to beg off, but instead he responded, "I've never been asked before" and was pleased to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
I don't know the back story on what led to this, but safe to say it's poor judgement.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
That seems silly. It was just some people having a little fun.

What did they do to the pilots who made the giant penis in the air? Shoot them?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Sock puppets rule.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:21 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That seems silly. It was just some people having a little fun.

What did they do to the pilots who made the giant penis in the air? Shoot them?
There is a time and place for everything. We had lots of fun in the flying world, but when it came time to reenlist, we didn't make a circus out of it. I certainly would never have done anything like that during what should have been a dignified affair. And I did raise my right hand more than a few times.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
I've raised my right hand twice. I wouldn't dare dream of taking it as some joke.

The problem is not that they did it, people do far worse in private. The problem was that they recorded it and put it on social media for chiefs, major, colonels, veterans, and everyone with a facebook to see. The military preaches every single day not to put anything stupid on social mediaa

They're not playing around with social media, folks are losing rank over it.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:01 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Folks need to learn to keep Facebook far from the flagpole.

There are still some people who take this business serious.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
I always felt it was one of the highest honors as an officer to be asked by a Noncommissioned Officer to do the oath. I still have a Polaroid of the first time I "reenlisted" one of my gun chiefs from my lieutenant days. I completely get it that it holds different degrees of meaning to each person, but mocking an official oath is deplorable conduct for a senior.

All the command did was correct a failure of the promotion system--and that doesn't happen enough.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:25 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Idiots...SMH....

Old 04-23-2018, 12:39 PM

361 posts, read 385,435 times
Once again I'm a bit late, but I don't know. I was in the submarine force where pomp & circumstance was pretty much non-existent. I do vaguely remember people re-enlisting on roller coasters, in torpedo tubes, etc. and it was published in the base newspaper.

It seems a shame to ruin people's careers over nonsense.

I suppose the forces need a bunch of Niedermeyers to maintain order but I'd be more curious as to the accomplishments of the service members before destroying them.

In the scheme of things just doesn't seem like a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues