U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,359,075 times

Advertisements

They have talked about it. I don't think it will cover the entire technician work force. I think that maintenance will remain technician. Some logistics positions too but not all of them either. As a full timer at the headquarters that went off to guard bureau for annual conferences wherever they had them (usually at Camp Robinson AR - PEC) I got involved in a lot of those discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 PM

10,051 posts, read 7,152,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I personally think he should go M-day and be a technician GS9. Get two pensions for the price of one.

Hard to knock a double pension.
M-day? Traditional Guardsman? That's basically what I did after 9yrs active Marine Corps. I'm aaaalmost retired. I retired from the Guard in 2012. 'Nother few years until my retirement kicks in. I can't even us the base veterinarian because my ID card says MEDICAL: NO. Is that a kick or what?

Hoping to get one last promotion before I kiss Uncle Sam goodbye.

I would have preferred AGR at the time but it's all working out for the best.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 PM

12,296 posts, read 11,747,525 times
I know nothing about the AGR, but was in the Navy for 12 years, got out as an E7.

I was burned out from it all, wanted to pursue more opportunities, primarily financial and "freedom" lol.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
M-day? Traditional Guardsman? That's basically what I did after 9yrs active Marine Corps. I'm aaaalmost retired. I retired from the Guard in 2012. 'Nother few years until my retirement kicks in. I can't even us the base veterinarian because my ID card says MEDICAL: NO. Is that a kick or what?

Hoping to get one last promotion before I kiss Uncle Sam goodbye.

I would have preferred AGR at the time but it's all working out for the best.

Hunterseat you misunderstand. There are civilian jobs that correspond to positions in the national guard. Most of them are mechanics and are wage grade pay. The longer you stay in the more retirement you can collect. You have to work hard on getting active duty days for the points but it is entirely worth it.

Example I did 7.5 years of active duty. Then a few years later I joined the army national guard and landed a job with them as a civilian electronics mechanic. I remained as a guards member for the next 30 years while simultaneously maintaining and landing a GS 9 job with the same agency. So concurrently I was working on a military pension and a federal civilian pension each unique and in my case almost identical in pay with the military one just a tad higher thanks to being an E8 with more than 6k retirement points. That on top of a very good low cost defined contribution plan (401k) with matching. Very happy with the results. I compare very high against any retirement an active duty or AGR could get short of being an general officer.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Hunterseat you misunderstand. There are civilian jobs that correspond to positions in the national guard. Most of them are mechanics and are wage grade pay. The longer you stay in the more retirement you can collect. You have to work hard on getting active duty days for the points but it is entirely worth it.

Example I did 7.5 years of active duty. Then a few years later I joined the army national guard and landed a job with them as a civilian electronics mechanic. I remained as a guards member for the next 30 years while simultaneously maintaining and landing a GS 9 job with the same agency. So concurrently I was working on a military pension and a federal civilian pension each unique and in my case almost identical in pay with the military one just a tad higher thanks to being an E8 with more than 6k retirement points. That on top of a very good low cost defined contribution plan (401k) with matching. Very happy with the results. I compare very high against any retirement an active duty or AGR could get short of being an general officer.
Our career paths are remarkably similar. I retired from the Air Guard in 2012 with over 6K points, too! (E7) Now I'm on about year 25 federal. Started as a WG but went to GS when the airplanes got bigger, the toolboxes heavier and my body older. Providence has been good to me.

I just didn't know what M-day meant. Never heard that one.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Our career paths are remarkably similar. I retired from the Air Guard in 2012 with over 6K points, too! (E7) Now I'm on about year 25 federal. Started as a WG but went to GS when the airplanes got bigger, the toolboxes heavier and my body older. Providence has been good to me.

We use that term a lot in the army guard. It is just drilling soldiers. You will be very happy when you get your two pensions. I retired 2 years ago from a RIF. I was planning on making it to 60 but got as far as 58.5 years old. Put in for an immediate FERS retirement with 36 years including my buy back time. Got the supplement. Then last year I turned 60 so I now get my military check now. That prompted my wife to pull the plug. With a nice sum of savings in TSP sitting pretty in L-Income I am drawing from TSP to supplement our other income. My balance is still higher than when I started. LOL gotta love it.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:08 PM

5,459 posts, read 2,858,720 times
Quote:
Man days. It's active duty days. Every unit gets so many each year. Sometimes our unit would some extra man days from somewhere else and we could get a little active duty time.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Man days. It's active duty days. Every unit gets so many each year. Sometimes our unit would some extra man days from somewhere else and we could get a little active duty time.
Oh right! Makes sense. I don't think I ever heard that one. I know our UTAs (Unit Training Assemblies), our "1 weekend a month" gave us 4 points. Never understood that but, since it was to our favor, we didn't ask questions about it. I took every active duty day I could, 6 week schools here and there, month in Germany post 9/11, 6 months in Kuwait (very safe location: Camp Cupcake).

Old 04-22-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Oh right! Makes sense. I don't think I ever heard that one. I know our UTAs (Unit Training Assemblies), our "1 weekend a month" gave us 4 points. Never understood that but, since it was to our favor, we didn't ask questions about it. I took every active duty day I could, 6 week schools here and there, month in Germany post 9/11, 6 months in Kuwait (very safe location: Camp Cupcake).
The term M-day was only applied to drilling soldiers because only they could get those days. Folks on AGR were not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or