U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 1,257 times

Advertisements

Hello. Background on me: I am 35 years old and a MSgt (E-7) in the Air National Guard. I have 16 years Time in Service and with 10 1/2 of those years in a current AGR position. I am eligible for E-8 but my Commander would have to do an MCR request to the National Guard Bureau to make my position a SMSgt (E-8) position.

I have two CCAFs, Business Admin BBA and MBA. Unfortunately, I just started contributing 10 percent in the TSP as of 2 years ago. I am single with a girlfriend of 3 years and have no kids but plan to eventually take the plunge into marriage. We both do not want kids and she pulls in about 120K a year right now as a 27 year old. I think that's everything.

At this point in my career I have been doing the same thing for almost 11 years as a Logistics Management Coordinator for a Civil Engineer Squadron with various duties such as UDM, Training Manager, Equipment Manager, only one who completely understands DTS, etc, etc. I would love to get out now and just do 4 more years as a traditional to get to 20 but feel like I need to stay another 9 as an AGR to get the AGR retirement at 44. I am at a point where I think about leaving the job at least once a week.

If you have advice that would be great. Similar stories? People who got out, regret it or not? Retirement advice? Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 02:36 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,352,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkobiff View Post
Hello. Background on me: I am 35 years old and a MSgt (E-7) in the Air National Guard. I have 16 years Time in Service and with 10 1/2 of those years in a current AGR position. I am eligible for E-8 but my Commander would have to do an MCR request to the National Guard Bureau to make my position a SMSgt (E-8) position.

I have two CCAFs, Business Admin BBA and MBA. Unfortunately, I just started contributing 10 percent in the TSP as of 2 years ago. I am single with a girlfriend of 3 years and have no kids but plan to eventually take the plunge into marriage. We both do not want kids and she pulls in about 120K a year right now as a 27 year old. I think that's everything.

At this point in my career I have been doing the same thing for almost 11 years as a Logistics Management Coordinator for a Civil Engineer Squadron with various duties such as UDM, Training Manager, Equipment Manager, only one who completely understands DTS, etc, etc. I would love to get out now and just do 4 more years as a traditional to get to 20 but feel like I need to stay another 9 as an AGR to get the AGR retirement at 44. I am at a point where I think about leaving the job at least once a week.

If you have advice that would be great. Similar stories? People who got out, regret it or not? Retirement advice? Thank you in advance!
Army National guard here traditional M-day soldier and technician for the guard. I know a number of AGR soldiers and the retirement is good. As an E7 or E8 the retired pay is worth staying in. 4 years as a guard member or the 9 for active duty. Your retirement will be based upon your points (reserve time and your pay grade) or the active duty retirement in 9 years which will be higher because of the additional time and points given for active duty soldiers.

To really answer the question it will take you and your family if married. If you have a good paying job lined up then the M-day might be better but... you cant knock a pension that begins at age 44 that goes on for life.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 PM

3,282 posts, read 782,009 times
You should have a job lined up or an idea of what you want to do if you get out. Ask your girlfriend what she thinks.

I'm under the impression that staying in the military is not worth it if you are unhappy. These are years of your life you're dedicating to your country and you don't need the headache of a crappy supervisor or chain of command, if that's your case.

I'm active duty Air Force myself so I don't know anything about the Air National Guard. All I know is I have 2.5 years left where I'll finish out at 10.5 years of total service then I'm going the civilian route. I have my Bachelors in Information Management systems and will getting my Masters before I get out.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 PM

5,423 posts, read 2,838,829 times
I liked my ANG job too much to get out at 20. I stayed for almost 32 years. That put me just a little over seven years from age 60. I was 35 when I transitioned from a desk job to C-130 loadmaster. Best move I ever made. My whole ANG career was as a traditional Guardsman. But I can understand your desire to get out. If I had stayed a paper shuffler I too would have gotten out at 20.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:09 PM

10,042 posts, read 7,133,799 times
I have to say that's a sucky job. I can TOTALLY understand you not being happy with it. What else is AGR for your unit? EM? Fire Chief? Slim pickings.

I think you should stay AGR but I think you should check out AGR positions in other locations. Of course her job sounds like a good one. That might depend on where you're located.

At my guard unit your position was GS9. And I think TSG.

I'm still using DTS and I try to help people with it when I can. I had to make 3 trips/wk for a year and a half. I got good at it.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,352,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I have to say that's a sucky job. I can TOTALLY understand you not being happy with it. What else is AGR for your unit? EM? Fire Chief? Slim pickings.

I think you should stay AGR but I think you should check out AGR positions in other locations. Of course her job sounds like a good one. That might depend on where you're located.

At my guard unit your position was GS9. And I think TSG.

I'm still using DTS and I try to help people with it when I can. I had to make 3 trips/wk for a year and a half. I got good at it.
I personally think he should go M-day and be a technician GS9. Get two pensions for the price of one.

Hard to knock a double pension.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I personally think he should go M-day and be a technician GS9. Get two pensions for the price of one.

Hard to knock a double pension.
I recently talked to a bird colonel just back from a tour at the Pentagon. He says the plan is to do away with the technician program and have all full timers be AGR. I don't know what the timeline would be or if existing technicians would be grandfathered. But, it's in the planning stages.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:25 AM

5 posts, read 1,257 times
I heard the same thing. We have positions that are currently converting to Title 5 and a mass increase in AGR positions is under way.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkobiff View Post
I heard the same thing. We have positions that are currently converting to Title 5 and a mass increase in AGR positions is under way.
That colonel also mentioned Title 5, but I'm not familiar with it. All I know is Title 10 and Title 32.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:05 PM

612 posts, read 305,964 times
Title 5 is Government Organizations and Employees. Part III covers civilian employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or